Future UK Maritime Patrol Options

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
downsizer

Re: Future UK Maritime Patrol Options

Post by downsizer »

Geoff_B wrote: Isn't there a 3 yr lead time for a new airframe, so to get one earlier would have to come from somebody elses order.
Now there's a thought, do we have any allies building MPAs who might lend us one or two from their order? You'd like to think conversations like that are being had.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

marktigger wrote:wonder how many seedcorn will decide to stay with RAAF/RCAF/RNZAF ?
None, they have already committed themselves to the project. DS knows more about that.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

downsizer wrote:
Geoff_B wrote: Isn't there a 3 yr lead time for a new airframe, so to get one earlier would have to come from somebody elses order.
Now there's a thought, do we have any allies building MPAs who might lend us one or two from their order? You'd like to think conversations like that are being had.
Yea, I could think of one that might give us a dig out. :)

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

I'm still surprised the USN isn't trying to flog us some of its old Orions to go with the Airseekers.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

have any decisions been made yet as to platform? if they haven't why go to the expense of an interim

Geoff_B
United Kingdom

Post by Geoff_B »

raven111 wrote:I'm still surprised the USN isn't trying to flog us some of its old Orions to go with the Airseekers.
Be easier to ask them to deploy to the UK to provide temporary cover until the follow on to Seedcorn is ready to replace them, rather than train and qualify aircrew, operators and groundcrew that will need to retrain on the new platform and its technology !

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Where is this talk of interim platforms and shit coming from?

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

downsizer wrote:Where is this talk of interim platforms and shit coming from?
Probably from my comment about surplus P-3s.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Probably, but at the same time most readers will be aware that one Sentinel has been fitted out to trial more maritime oriented kit than what they originally came with
- if anything comes out of it, would still not count (any number of them, and not many in total, as anything more than "an interim platform" (but better than sh*t all?)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

My understanding is that there are 2x 3 and 3 x 2 unallocated serials in Boeing production plans.1of those '051' is in early assembly. There are not inclusive of the preproduction models B1-4 which were delivered to the US already and not those allocated to the RAAT and IAF which have FMS serials.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

O'h s**t, I hope the bean counters at the treasury didn't attend RIAT,else this will give them more ideas on how to save money.
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... ic-414801/

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

jonas wrote:O'h s**t, I hope the bean counters at the treasury didn't attend RIAT,else this will give them more ideas on how to save money.
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... ic-414801/
Still think the Persuader is the better "budget" option. The MSA is strictly a surveillance platform, not an ASW platform. And It's got a price tag of around $60 million a pop.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

What we need is a full blown MPA with capabilities to value add to other types of operation eg limited ELINT or ELOP for overland and some Airborne C3I capability. to my mind challenger and persuader don't meet those criteria. The only viable options at present are P1 & P8. I suspect the pressure from the top will be for the P8 but i hope those evaluating the platforms go for the aircraft on their merits and ability to do the job in the way the UK armed forces want it done. Not to satisfy our allies or to confrom to political wishes or Accepted wisdom but what is best suited to meet the UK's needs.

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

marktigger wrote:What we need is a full blown MPA with capabilities to value add to other types of operation eg limited ELINT or ELOP for overland and some Airborne C3I capability. to my mind challenger and persuader don't meet those criteria. The only viable options at present are P1 & P8. I suspect the pressure from the top will be for the P8 but i hope those evaluating the platforms go for the aircraft on their merits and ability to do the job in the way the UK armed forces want it done. Not to satisfy our allies or to confrom to political wishes or Accepted wisdom but what is best suited to meet the UK's needs.
But didn't the WikiLeaks thing show that the US has a habit of applying "diplomatic pressure" to get people to buy its kit (usually the Super Hornet)?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

its always been the case since 1945 why do you think half of europe ended up with the F104 then the F16?

I suspect our politicians won't have the strength of character to resist and watch for the negative spin coming out about the non american contenders.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

if we purchase a new MPA what is the likely base for them? I remember waddington being put forward for the MRA4 to put all the ISTAR assets in one base

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

marktigger wrote:if we purchase a new MPA what is the likely base for them? I remember waddington being put forward for the MRA4 to put all the ISTAR assets in one base
Yes, much like closing Lyneham and moving everything to Brize, makes a much better target for someone wanting to have a pop at your assets.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

accountants and management consultants don't think like that

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

I'm hoping any MPA will be based back up here at Kinloss. The airfield is still intact, hangers & ATC are still there & the Army are only taking up a small part of the base.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Dahedd wrote:I'm hoping any MPA will be based back up here at Kinloss. The airfield is still intact, hangers & ATC are still there & the Army are only taking up a small part of the base.
It will not be Kinloss. 100% certain of that.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Yeovilton 8-)

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

No it probably won't be Kinloss but I can hope. Given its northern location (hello Vlad) & recent use of Lossie for asw exercises it still seems the obvious choice.

I expect politics to play a major role in basing.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Little J wrote:Yeovilton 8-)
isn't it busy with MerlinHC, Wildcat CHF and AAC

Culdrose? be colocated with the other major ASW platform.......suspect it's going to be waddington when its sorted

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

Lossiemouth would seem to be the logical (and only) current Northern basing option for an RAF MPA.