F-35B Lightning (RAF & RN)

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
sunstersun
United States of America

Re: F-35B Lightning II (RN & RAF)

Post by sunstersun »

So the USMC will be directly and indirectly related to the QEC's operations so I thought it might be a good idea to post their aviation plans.

http://www.aviation.marines.mil/Portals ... 20PLAN.pdf

separately from a blog.

>Remarkably, the USMC has published plans for these platforms to deliver a sustained rate of up to 40 sorties in a 14 hour period across a range of combat operations – more than 3 sorties per day, per airframe. Whilst this does include utilisation of forward operating bases to maximise effectiveness, it still suggests that the USMC has found a way to shatter the 1.5 sortie rate per day ceiling, a doctrinal approach that the Royal Navy would benefit from evaluating.

There are a number of reasons why F-35B sortie rates can be increased. The much-reduced workload associated with flying the aircraft and the quantum leap in situational awareness from the fused data and sensor technology could significantly reduce the time need for briefing and de-briefing. This reduces pilot fatigue to the point where two or more sorties per pilot, per day become achievable. The USMC has also focused intensively on ALIS (the Autonomic Logistic Information System) which plays a big role in maximising availability by managing and pre-empting fault detection and organising spares logistics. The Royal Navy’s close collaboration with USMC should make that learning available early in UK F-35 operations.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

sunstersun wrote:There are a number of reasons why F-35B sortie rates can be increased.
There is also a much more simple reason: pit stops, with F1 trained ground crew:
"Scheduled
aircraft
maintenance
will
be
conducted
on
sea
base
(LHA,
LHD
or
a
coalition
carrier,
such
as
the
UK's
Queen
Elizabeth
II)
or
at
main
base
away
from
threat
DAO
provides
high
sortie
generation
through
fuel
and
ordnance
reload
inside
of
the
threat
WEZ"
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

The requirement for the F-35B was for 3 USMC defined sorties per day. Has been for decades.

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

It really is interesting how much more accommodating the marines are of the F-35 compared to the navy. Although I guess that's what you get when the C variant has the most delays. Beyond that, the navy has an up to date aircraft SH compared to the airforce which mainstay is still the f-15 and f-16. The poor marines are using hornets and sea harriers T_T

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

sunstersun wrote:The poor marines are using hornets
Remarkably few (67) C's coing in their place. Three things
- the size of CAW has reduced over time
- the carrier controversy (as to their numbers) has been running for a long time and the USMC has proofed themselves against the downside by getting some of their own "minicarriers"
- and over time they have also adjusted their order from Cs towards the Bs more (is that only because of the above factors, or because of the perceived technology risks with the "c"... who knows?)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

- and over time they have also adjusted their order from Cs towards the Bs more (is that only because of the above factors, or because of the perceived technology risks with the "c"... who knows?)
They wanted only Bs at the beginning, and would probably be plenty happy to go all B now, but in 2011 they signed a new TACAIR agreement to help the Navy fill up CVN decks, and so swapped out some Bs for 80 C, with the aim of building up 5 squadrons plus training side.
At the first chance they revised that down to 67, 4 squadrons and a contribution of 10 (out of 30 total) aircraft for one of the two US Navy conversion squadrons for the F-35C (one per coast).
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I totally agree that "that" is the story

2HeadsBetter
United Kingdom

Post by 2HeadsBetter »

I think he's been at the rum.

LordJim
United Kingdom

Post by LordJim »

Are we getting the gun pod for our planes?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Not immediately. They decided to leave it aside for later addition alongside the Block IV additions, or at least so i read a while ago.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Unfortunately, I read into that as "no, we're not getting them then."

Just wait for it. I've been expecting them to drop it for a while. It being in a separate pod is just TOO easy to cut.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Just wait for it. I've been expecting them to drop it for a while. It being in a separate pod is just TOO easy to cut.
Journo's must be waiting for their next press opportunity. First we had "Carriers without Planes" and next ...................... "Planes without Guns"!

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

RetroSicotte wrote:Unfortunately, I read into that as "no, we're not getting them then."

I think we'll get it as the Navy will want it. But I suspect we won't have as many gun pods as we have aircraft....

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Timmymagic wrote:
RetroSicotte wrote:Unfortunately, I read into that as "no, we're not getting them then."

I think we'll get it as the Navy will want it. But I suspect we won't have as many gun pods as we have aircraft....
Makes sense... and no concrete needed this time around :D

james k
United Kingdom

Post by james k »

I'd be much happier if the British ones were RN owned as an ex Army and Navy man I don't trust the RAF one little bit. RAF willingness to hang the Army and RN out to dry in pursuit of their own interests is legendary

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

So, nothing of any actual relevance to add then?

I'm so relieved all the bitter dinosaurs aren't left in the armed forces these days.

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

downsizer wrote:So, nothing of any actual relevance to add then?

I'm so relieved all the bitter dinosaurs aren't left in the armed forces these days.
Nah, they are mostly on PPrune now.

james k
United Kingdom

Post by james k »

OK if it's relevance you're after the fact that the RAF will effectively own all the F35's even after a FAA squadron stands up may be problematic since the RAF are not well known for their joint service thinking and their decision making has caused difficulty for the other services in recent times. Since the availability of F35's for the QE class carriers may someday be in doubt what are the implications for the carriers? And given the huge cost of the F35 and the reluctance of the RAF to deploy it's combat aircraft anywhere but Cyprus or the USA are they worth the money? Don't worry about the bitter old dinosaurs having left the services, I may have gone but dozens remain to keep things on the straight and narrow.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

james k wrote:given [...] the reluctance of the RAF to deploy it's combat aircraft anywhere but Cyprus or the USA
But they did take over a resort town in Italy :) I guess the hotels weren't 5* as it did not last for very long
- in reality Italy said that tourist season is starting and we need the revenue, so bugger off with your silly little war :?

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

james k wrote:OK if it's relevance you're after the fact that the RAF will effectively own all the F35's even after a FAA squadron stands up may be problematic since the RAF are not well known for their joint service thinking and their decision making has caused difficulty for the other services in recent times. Since the availability of F35's for the QE class carriers may someday be in doubt what are the implications for the carriers? And given the huge cost of the F35 and the reluctance of the RAF to deploy it's combat aircraft anywhere but Cyprus or the USA are they worth the money? Don't worry about the bitter old dinosaurs having left the services, I may have gone but dozens remain to keep things on the straight and narrow.

Jesus christ, change the record. You could not be more wrong about current Jointery. But whatever, enjoy dining out on your old of date prejudices.

If you want to find out what is really going on, speak to someone currently involved in the project. Might be hard on here as virtually all the serving members have been driven out mind.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Every time i try and relax and trust the RAF will not deliberately work to shaft the whole enterprise, Greg Bagwell tweets something and i go "if the others are like this guy, it'll all go to hell".

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

james k
United Kingdom

Post by james k »

Are you RAF by chance? I worked on enough joint service projects to know what the RAF are like

quote="downsizer"]
james k wrote:OK if it's relevance you're after the fact that the RAF will effectively own all the F35's even after a FAA squadron stands up may be problematic since the RAF are not well known for their joint service thinking and their decision making has caused difficulty for the other services in recent times. Since the availability of F35's for the QE class carriers may someday be in doubt what are the implications for the carriers? And given the huge cost of the F35 and the reluctance of the RAF to deploy it's combat aircraft anywhere but Cyprus or the USA are they worth the money? Don't worry about the bitter old dinosaurs having left the services, I may have gone but dozens remain to keep things on the straight and narrow.

Jesus christ, change the record. You could not be more wrong about current Jointery. But whatever, enjoy dining out on your old of date prejudices.

If you want to find out what is really going on, speak to someone currently involved in the project. Might be hard on here as virtually all the serving members have been driven out mind.[/quote]

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

Gabriele wrote:Every time i try and relax and trust the RAF will not deliberately work to shaft the whole enterprise, Greg Bagwell tweets something and i go "if the others are like this guy, it'll all go to hell".
He's a genuinely nice bloke and was a top boss, he was thought of very highly, he really did look out for the lads and lasses. One of the few I heard it said his junior officers would 'run through brick walls for him'.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

downsizer wrote: Might be hard on here as virtually all the serving members have been driven out mind.
Idle thought, I wonder how many there are left on here?