UK Defence Forum

News, History, Discussions and Debates on UK Defence.

F-35B Lightning (RAF & RN)

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.

How do you feel about the F-35B for the RN and RAF? (2 votes per member)

GOOD choice for the Royal Navy
44%
BAD choice for the Royal Navy
4%
Uncertain (RN)
5%
GOOD choice for the Royal Air Force
19%
BAD choice for the Royal Air Force
14%
Uncertain (RAF)
15%

Total votes: 286

downsizer

Re: F-35B Lightning (RAF & RN)

Postby downsizer » 02 Oct 2020, 19:31

Weapon loading has never been done by the RAF w/reaper.

topman

Postby topman » 02 Oct 2020, 20:47

Timmymagic wrote:
topman wrote:It did used to be done by RAF in house, but it was contracted out some time around 2011.

Are they bringing it back in house for Protector?

I don't know.

NickC

Postby NickC » 03 Oct 2020, 10:29

Thx to pointer from post by ARES on Tempest, with ref to the Northrop Grumman video on the F-35 radar APG-81.

The capability of the F-35 radar to search, target and launch long range AShMs, eg SPEAR 3, or pass targeting info to RN frigates/destroyers for ship to launch AShM, eg NSM, if ever funded, will be part of the Block 4 upgrade by adding a wide-area high-resolution synthetic aperture radar, SAR, mode to the NG APG-81 radar.

Defensenews June 2019 article "The US Navy is seeking upgrades for the F-35 radar’s sea-search mode "

"The [US] Navy wants to be able to scan a wider area when in sea-search mode, something that the radar is currently not set up for // the problem is on track for a solution, but may not be implemented until as late as 2024 with the Block 4 upgrades, notably adding that a solution will not be in place before a full-rate production decision on the F-35 this year. // The issue is listed as a category 1 deficiency // The issue dates back to 2012. // We’re not mechanically scanning, we’re electronically scanning,” Winter said. “And being able to accurately scan the maritime environment, it just takes increased computing power, and that’s what we’re doing. … It’s a software fix, and then an allocation of computing power.” Winter may be referring to a planned bundle of computer upgrades called Tech Refresh 3, where the jet will get more modern computing systems that will increase the jet’s processing power [25x] and memory // TR3 is a prerequisite for a future radar fix. Those TR3-equipped jets won’t roll off the production line until 2023."

May 2020 GAO reported development cost of the F-35’s Block 4 upgrade had increased by $1.5 billion in the past year, to $12.1 billion, while adding acquisition will boost total cost to $13.9 billion, plus $6 billion to retrofit Block 4 to aircraft already delivered. Would note MoD, Jeremy Quin, hint not all UK pre Block 4 build a /c will get the partial upgrade to Block 4 standard, ~ $27 million cost per a/c so perhaps cost rising and no additional funding will made available, so unkown how many current UK F-35B and future buys will be upgraded before future Block 4 with SAR and SPEAR 3 capabilities deliveries commence ~2024.

From <https://www.defensenews.com/smr/hidden-troubles-f35/2019/06/12/the-us-navy-is-seeking-upgrades-for-the-f-35-radars-sea-search-mode/>

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 03 Oct 2020, 11:03

Further to the above,
Timmymagic wrote:FRP Delivery 1 - 2023 - 2 x UK F-35B
FRP Delivery 2 - 2024 - 4 x UK F-35B
FRP Delivery 3 - 2025 - 7 x UK F-35B - These were all previously expected by 2024 at latest

So the number of F-35s for use in ship-killer targeting mode would be 13; without retrofits. Hence the retrofit numbers (and cost) are quite important, but also rather 'nebulous'.
- nevermind, we only have a limited number of Harpoon kits to make use of the capability. Perseus being 2030(+)? And not confirmed.
- Spear 3 not exactly being a ship-killer missile (launching a lot of them might put all the sensors out of action, yes).

Ron5

Postby Ron5 » 03 Oct 2020, 15:13

The upgrade improves a capability, doesn't add it.

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 03 Oct 2020, 18:55

Ron5 wrote:The upgrade [im]proves a [sleeping beauty ] capability, doesn't add it.

Indeed, at a cost... Fly Navy :D

NickC

Postby NickC » 06 Oct 2020, 14:55

Report released on crash of a USAF F-35A tail number 12-005053 19th May 2020, reason given tired pilot and a previously unknown flight control logic glitch. What also surprised me besides the glitch was the USAF valued the a/c at $176 million way higher then any figure seen for F-35A, early lot build?, how figure was calculated not specified, but it does thru into doubt the recent talk of ~$80 million F-35A's, what other equipment/costs could USAF have added so they consider it an operationally viable a/c, puzzling.

F-35B ~ 30% more expensive than F-35A.

https://www.afjag.af.mil/Portals/77/AIB ... Signed.pdf

Ron5

Postby Ron5 » 06 Oct 2020, 16:08

NickC wrote:but it does thru into doubt the recent talk of ~$80

No it doesn't Mr Hater.

Jensy

Postby Jensy » 07 Oct 2020, 23:23

Qatar makes formal request for F-35 jets

They're not building an air force. They're building a flying circus, and buying influence with their defence budget.

If (and I sincerely hope not) this goes through, they will add to a fleet of:

24 x Typhoons
24 x Rafales
36 x Strike Eagles
12 x Mirage 2000 (which I assumed are set to be replaced)

Despite the loving embrace of the US, I suspect there's a more sinister game at play here. The startling new Bahrain/Israel/UAE alliance of convenience will not be
too happy either.

https://www.reuters.com/article/qatar-i ... ce=twitter

dmereifield

Postby dmereifield » 07 Oct 2020, 23:52

Jensy wrote:Qatar makes formal request for F-35 jets

They're not building an air force. They're building a flying circus, and buying influence with their defence budget.

If (and I sincerely hope not) this goes through, they will add to a fleet of:

24 x Typhoons
24 x Rafales
36 x Strike Eagles
12 x Mirage 2000 (which I assumed are set to be replaced)

Despite the loving embrace of the US, I suspect there's a more sinister game at play here. The startling new Bahrain/Israel/UAE alliance of convenience will not be
too happy either.

https://www.reuters.com/article/qatar-i ... ce=twitter

Just need Gripen for the full set?

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 08 Oct 2020, 02:56

They're building a flying circus, and buying influence with their defence budget.
Yep, buying London (and influence in that way) came cheaply :)
The startling new Bahrain/Israel/UAE alliance of convenience will not be
too happy either.
The fact that ' Abraham Accord' had a side letter of F-35s for UAE is the driver for this; effectively Qatar saying that if you do not love me more, you'll have to demonstrate at least equal 'love'
dmereifield wrote:Just need Gripen for the full set?
Set up an 'Aggressor Sqdrn' :D The Empire Flying School could do graduations after a bout of flying against it as a final exam...

Jensy

Postby Jensy » 08 Oct 2020, 11:15

ArmChairCivvy wrote:The fact that ' Abraham Accord' had a side letter of F-35s for UAE is the driver for this; effectively Qatar saying that if you do not love me more, you'll have to demonstrate at least equal 'love'

They may very well overplay their hand.

Despite very public noises to the contrary, Jerusalem is pretty happy for the UAE to fly F-35. Defence ties, that have been building for the best part of five years, are now in the open and look set to escalate rapidly.

The UAE will be exhibiting at ISDEF (when it next happens) and Israel will have its own section at IDEX 2021 in the Emirates.

Qatar however will be perceived as the 'Hamas/MB Air Force' by Israel and their new Gulf friends.

Whether Trump (or Biden) would care is a separate matter.

On a very different note, looks like an F-35 got into trouble, let out an emergency squawk and diverted to Kinloss. Despite initial suggestions it was a USMC aircraft, photos show it was RAF:

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 08 Oct 2020, 11:26

Jensy wrote:the 'Hamas/MB Air Force'
with a massive USAF base and our whole Expeditionary Airwing - stretching from the Med to the Gulf - commanded out of there.

As you say, they might not get the a/c (as they don't need them) but it is a way of signalling "don't forget us".

Timmymagic

Postby Timmymagic » 08 Oct 2020, 18:46

ArmChairCivvy wrote:with a massive USAF base and our whole Expeditionary Airwing - stretching from the Med to the Gulf - commanded out of there.

As you say, they might not get the a/c (as they don't need them) but it is a way of signalling "don't forget us".

I hope the US extracts a Qatar/Israel peace deal as the price...

Bring Deeps

Postby Bring Deeps » 09 Oct 2020, 13:13

This is interesting, sounds like USMC pilot, so true interoperability.

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 09 Oct 2020, 16:20

Timmymagic wrote:40 F-35A for £5bn (although it would probably be slightly lower for the UK as we wouldn't be buying the small numbers of US munitions included in the deal

The full works ( scale up with 64/40 x...) for the Finns come at
$12.5 billion request for 64 F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
- with all weapons (I think the Swiss won't require cruise missiles for a field trip to decimate the OpFor in their bases?)

NickC

Postby NickC » 15 Oct 2020, 08:49

Ron5 wrote:
NickC wrote:but it does thru into doubt the recent talk of ~$80

No it doesn't Mr Hater.

Reading the SavetheRoyalNavy 300+ posts this morning on T31 and saw the comment by 'X' on your posts,

"Now I have finished laughing at you pomposity and stupidity" and "You really are an idiot. Why don’t you go troll somewhere else?"

I LOL :clap:

Return to “Joint Service”