Future UK Combat Aircraft (Project Tempest)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Future UK Combat Aircraft General Discussion

Post by RetroSicotte »

Frenchie wrote:The Franco german project FCAS which envisages service entry after 2035, represents a threat to Britain’s position at the heart of warplane development as negotiations continue on terms for its exit from the European Union. Sorry !

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... on-at-risk
You're not wrong.

But they don't care. They have F-35, and so long as they can point to that plane and say "We have new planes with our rising defence budget to ensure our forces have the best equipment possible" they don't give two hoots about the job losses from an industry going under.

They did it to the ground industry, and they're in the process of doing it to the air and naval ones too.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

meh, tell them to sick it and we'll bring son of Taranis into operation by our self, then get on board with the F22/35 hybrid!
@LandSharkUK

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

shark bait wrote:meh, tell them to sick it and we'll bring son of Taranis into operation by our self, then get on board with the F22/35 hybrid!
"Dassault Chief Executive Officer Eric Trappier said Wednesday in Berlin that 70 years of expertise make the group best-placed to play the part of “architect” on a new plane, though the allocation of roles remains under discussion with Airbus."

"He added that the Franco-German plan would likely fail if Berlin opted to buy the F-35 for the role."

Well that looks like it can't go wrong...

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

I'm not eager to work with Germany, which very nearly killed the Typhoon a hundred times over; or Airbus for that matter, that can't even get parachute launches in stick to work from the A400 side doors.

There are about one billion things that can go wrong in this project.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

RetroSicotte wrote:
Frenchie wrote:The Franco german project FCAS which envisages service entry after 2035, represents a threat to Britain’s position at the heart of warplane development as negotiations continue on terms for its exit from the European Union. Sorry !

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... on-at-risk
You're not wrong.

But they don't care. They have F-35, and so long as they can point to that plane and say "We have new planes with our rising defence budget to ensure our forces have the best equipment possible" they don't give two hoots about the job losses from an industry going under.

They did it to the ground industry, and they're in the process of doing it to the air and naval ones too.
Are you forgetting that Bae is at the heart of the F-35 program?

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Ron5 wrote:Are you forgetting that Bae is at the heart of the F-35 program?
Not at all, but it a notable step down from Britain producing a truly "British" aircraft that was conceieved, designed, and produced in the UK alone (even accounting for the near standard set of some foreign parts in most planes for anyone), like used to happen. There isn't anything on the immediate horizon even as British made as the Tornado or Typhoon have become, now that FCAS is starting to falter with the French. And even that is 50/50. No majority.

The F-35 is still an American plane, with only 15% of it made here. The UK doesn't even have access to the source code for goodness sake. It is no thing to point to when people talk about "British jets".

If the UK were properly investing and supporting its aeorpsace development for combat jets, then we wouldn't be having layoffs and constantly being forced to either buy foreign or look for equal partners as opposed to doing what France did/is doing and just make it themselves, or become the lead developer for others.

Make no mistake. It's a strong industry, but its losing its prime capabilities to produce independantly, or to be a huge force in commanding the total majority (as in, not just the largest share, I'm meaning 50%+) of a major project. The longer these things go, the harder they are to get back.

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

Just go for Japan brew.

PapaGolf
United Kingdom

Post by PapaGolf »

We just need new partners. Let’s look to other allies who have or want an aerospace industry. Italy, Spain, Sweden, Australia, Japan, Brazil even some of the Middle East countries who are investing in typhoon.

We’re probably better off without France and Germany for co-development projects.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

RetroSicotte wrote:now that FCAS is starting to falter with the French. And even that is 50/50. No majority.
Are there recent signs of that faltering?
- must admit I have not had much time for primary sources over the last couple of months
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I have a feeling that FCAS is going to be pushed further and further down the line into the 2040s at the earliest.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

RetroSicotte wrote:
Ron5 wrote:Are you forgetting that Bae is at the heart of the F-35 program?
Not at all, but it a notable step down from Britain producing a truly "British" aircraft that was conceieved, designed, and produced in the UK alone (even accounting for the near standard set of some foreign parts in most planes for anyone), like used to happen. There isn't anything on the immediate horizon even as British made as the Tornado or Typhoon have become, now that FCAS is starting to falter with the French. And even that is 50/50. No majority.

The F-35 is still an American plane, with only 15% of it made here. The UK doesn't even have access to the source code for goodness sake. It is no thing to point to when people talk about "British jets".

If the UK were properly investing and supporting its aeorpsace development for combat jets, then we wouldn't be having layoffs and constantly being forced to either buy foreign or look for equal partners as opposed to doing what France did/is doing and just make it themselves, or become the lead developer for others.

Make no mistake. It's a strong industry, but its losing its prime capabilities to produce independantly, or to be a huge force in commanding the total majority (as in, not just the largest share, I'm meaning 50%+) of a major project. The longer these things go, the harder they are to get back.
It's been rather a long time since the UK has produced a totally British military aircraft.

Harrier or Hawk maybe?

The current level of UK defense spending just doesn't allow it. Doesn't stop the UK Aerospace industry from being #2 in the world.

By the way, a huge chunk of F-35 software is written by Bae, the 3rd largest defense company in the world.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
RetroSicotte wrote:now that FCAS is starting to falter with the French. And even that is 50/50. No majority.
Are there recent signs of that faltering?
- must admit I have not had much time for primary sources over the last couple of months
Bae's assessment was that this was just an exercise whereby the French freely extracted British knowhow in autonomous flight & stealth and would be cancelled by them as soon as enough was learned. Bae bitterly fought the UK political decision to allow French access to UK owned IP.

Of course the smart politico's said it would help for a smooth Brexit. Yeah right.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Are there recent signs of that faltering?
https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... stry-says/
Ron5 wrote:It's been rather a long time since the UK has produced a totally British military aircraft. Harrier or Hawk maybe?
Precisely my point, these things become monstrously hard to get back to doing to longer you leave it.
The current level of UK defense spending just doesn't allow it. Doesn't stop the UK Aerospace industry from being #2 in the world.
Due to civil aviation for the most part, not due to primary British military aerospace platforms. And like I said, low budget is a sign of lack of investment.
By the way, a huge chunk of F-35 software is written by Bae, the 3rd largest defense company in the world.
And a huge chunk of all that is BAE in the United States, which is not British. Similar to how France isn't the one who made Starstreak, despite "Thales" being on the name.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Ron5 wrote:It's been rather a long time since the UK has produced a totally British military aircraft.
Typhoon was pretty much a British aircraft that we let our euro buddies crawl all over.

BAE and Rolls could easily bring a new aircraft into service, problem is finding the money to do it. The Government need to make some tough choices if it wants to stay number 2!

For what its worth, I think we should go balls in and crack on with a drone by our self. Whilst the eurocrats are busy playing politics, UK PLC can take the lead and have the tech to buy into whatever we want later.
@LandSharkUK

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

shark bait wrote:
Ron5 wrote:It's been rather a long time since the UK has produced a totally British military aircraft.
Typhoon was pretty much a British aircraft that we let our euro buddies crawl all over.

BAE and Rolls could easily bring a new aircraft into service, problem is finding the money to do it. The Government need to make some tough choices if it wants to stay number 2!

For what its worth, I think we should go balls in and crack on with a drone by our self. Whilst the eurocrats are busy playing politics, UK PLC can take the lead and have the tech to buy into whatever we want later.
While you're certainly more optimistic than me (and thats cool, there always should be both sides) I do definitely agree and feel the UK need something in the air that they can really point to and go "Britain".

That's part of whats been missing so long, something that is indisputably British, that whenever its seen pretty much defines British Aerospace. It's difficult to overstate just how much prestige and thus respect and interest the Rafale brought France due to it being so independent. British Aerospace really needs a shot like that, something to dig into and create again to show they still can, put away the doubts the rest of the world is starting to have.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

From an engineering perspective it could totally be done, its the finance to support it that is the problem, we don't want to end up with a Challenger with wings. (or Nimrod with wings :lol: )

If we pick a drone it becomes more realistic, a drone is pretty much a software project. The air frame does not need to be state of the art, and BAE have already demonstrated they can build a stealthy wing that flies, they now need to incrementally develop the software.
@LandSharkUK

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

RetroSicotte wrote:While you're certainly more optimistic than me (and thats cool, there always should be both sides) I do definitely agree and feel the UK need something in the air that they can really point to and go "Britain".

That's part of whats been missing so long, something that is indisputably British, that whenever its seen pretty much defines British Aerospace. It's difficult to overstate just how much prestige and thus respect and interest the Rafale brought France due to it being so independent. British Aerospace really needs a shot like that, something to dig into and create again to show they still can, put away the doubts the rest of the world is starting to have.
I agree with the sentiment, but I think that the best proposition for demonstrating British ingenuity and technological achievement lies in the civilian aerospace sector with the Skylon spaceplane. If that can be made to work it'll be a game changer, if it can be made to work mostly British funding it'll absolutely reassert the UK's position as a global aerospace innovator. If the UK can do that then I doubt that it'll be quite so difficult to attract willing partners for a next generation combat aircraft.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Pseudo wrote:I agree with the sentiment, but I think that the best proposition for demonstrating British ingenuity and technological achievement lies in the civilian aerospace sector with the Skylon spaceplane. If that can be made to work it'll be a game changer, if it can be made to work mostly British funding it'll absolutely reassert the UK's position as a global aerospace innovator. If the UK can do that then I doubt that it'll be quite so difficult to attract willing partners for a next generation combat aircraft.
No disagreement there, may not have been clear from my post but yes, something even civil based would be a great project.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Skylon is in a totally different ball park, the technology to make that work doesn't exist yet, whereas the technology to make an operational combat drone is already available.

Its a long path until we see a British space plane, and development of a space vehicle should continue with some government support, but we need something a bit more real in the interim. (Also probably need a conventional space capability operational before jumping to such a novel approach)
@LandSharkUK

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

shark bait wrote:Skylon is in a totally different ball park, the technology to make that work doesn't exist yet, whereas the technology to make an operational combat drone is already available.
The technology to make Skylon work certainly does exist and progress appears to be going pretty much to schedule. Even at the present rate of development it's likely as not going to be operational before any British next generation combat aircraft project.
Its a long path until we see a British space plane, and development of a space vehicle should continue with some government support, but we need something a bit more real in the interim.
It's a long path until we see anything unless the government are willing to provide the funding for it. From what I can see Skylon is perfectly real, more so than any future manned combat aircraft project or even FCAS.
(Also probably need a conventional space capability operational before jumping to such a novel approach)
While operating in space is by no means easy, it's always been the getting there that's the really hard bit. ;)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

The technology does not exist, no one has ever flown a precooled turbine, never mind one bolted to the front of a combined cyclce engine. There has not even been a full cycle ground demonstration yet. Without the engine it isn't going to go very far.
@LandSharkUK

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

shark bait wrote:The technology does not exist, no one has ever flown a precooled turbine, never mind one bolted to the front of a combined cyclce engine. There has not even been a full cycle ground demonstration yet.
Ah, right. I see what you're saying. It's not that the technology doesn't exist it's that it hasn't been fully demonstrated. That's a fine objection to have, but it's one that I'll happily dismiss as I think that there'd be more unique technological expertise to be learned from the failure of Skylon than there would be from the success of FCAS.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

shark bait wrote:Typhoon was pretty much a British aircraft that we let our euro buddies crawl all over.
I assume you are joking.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Aerospace_EAP

Part of me still wishes the UK had pressed on solo with the EAP.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

pretty much
25% ? Even Gripen beats it (30% ?)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)