Boeing Chinook (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Boeing Chinook (RAF)

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Pongoglo wrote: 18 and 27 Squadron aircraft out of Odiham, rotated all the time
To be washed down, on land, as the lifts were not able to take them away from the deck? Ref: the quote below
Poiuytrewq wrote:Should they be marinised?

Powered folding rotors?
Caribbean wrote:effectively, these are a replacement for Ocean's LCVPs? Seems like a reasonable idea - can they carry an M777?
+
Poiuytrewq wrote: highlights the fact that the UK's Amphibious vessels are badly under equipped for this transition. Just not enough Chinook capable landing spots.
Bays have been trialled with two on the back... makes for 6, for starters. Plus the ones flying to and fro the carrier. Call it ten; how many can you fit in the (high) hard-hat area of the hangar?
- and why ;) is the highest part of the hangar called with that name?
SW1 wrote: May well see a trimming of Hercules numbers and potientially an aar capability added to the remaining depending on helicopter clearances on a400m
Agree; do as the French do? Would go well with supporting an SF operation at scale (a oxymoron? For SF ops you sometimes need more than just the SF) and at a distance.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

SW1 wrote:what replaces merlin puma wildcat
A god question as we were already unbalanced (too little in the medium category) and going forward will be even more so.
Lord Jim wrote:I thought all this was to be covered by the MDP?
+
serge750 wrote:does seem strange to announce purchase decisions before the review is known
= sugar coat the announcements (cuts) by pre-announcing investments that were coming (but later) anyway?
RetroSicotte wrote:This matching up with the retirement of older Chinooks likely represented a politically easy way to fund them given those helos would need replacing anyway.
yes
RetroSicotte wrote:these 16 are to replace 20+ or something and the total fleet of 60 will actually drop, because they never learn their lesson about having enough of something
could happen
jimthelad wrote:Ahh the much rumoured TERAUTOFIDE system
Remember the helicopter crash in Iraq when the pilots assigned to supporting SF were eager to show off to their PAX how good they were in contour flying; overmatched only by the incident of 'mooning' to a low-flying Herc... only to be slapped (a bit more than that :( ) on the buttocks by the load ramp already in a lowered position
Lord Jim wrote:all the bells and whistles that make the ones we are buying so capable are going to take up quiet a bit of room in the cabin, having seen inside a Pave low III a while back.
Well, we don't have any Vulcan bombers, anymore, from which to strip radar warning systems and the like for the battlefield Chinooks. And as for your "I would still like to know where the money is coming from" has everybody forgotten about the TWO BILLION MORE that Cameron promised for the SF in the 2015 review?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

This year could see the MoD destroying the official files relating to the 1994 Chinook crash on the Mull of Kintyre, meaning the true cause of the crash may never been known.

The MOD has confirmed to the News Letter that all files relating to the crash which were closed in 1995/96 will be reviewed this year for disposal or disclosure under the 30-year rule. Two RAF air marshals had accused the pilots, Flt Lts Jonathan Tapper and Richard Cook, of gross negligence over the crash. However, after a campaign of almost two decades by supporters to clear their names, a fresh review in 2011 found they should not have been blamed and the earlier ruling was set aside. But David Hill, a retired MOD helicopter engineer and Dr Susan Phoenix, whose husband RUC Det Supt Ian Phoenix was killed in the crash, note that the 2011 review which restored the pilots’ reputations had no remit to inquire into the actual cause of the crash.

Now they are both concerned that internal MoD housekeeping could see a slew of files relating to the crash destroyed this year as a matter of routine, thus ending all hope of getting to the definitive cause of the crash.

Read more at: https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/truth ... -1-8776839

There is a parliamentary petition for anyone interested

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/237925

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Signed and shared... Don't think it will make a difference though (unfortunately).

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

Mr Haynes whom was a retired Major was also on the flight. He was from Crewe. He was at school with my father and always called me by my childhood nickname when I saw him. I hold little hope of disclosure as it will open a nasty can of worms.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Let's see what happens with the order for nearly half a thousand improved Chinooks
" Boeing granted CH-47F Block II contract after cancellation fears
On Jan 11, 2019
The US Army granted Boeing a low rate initial production contract for the CH-47F Block II Chinook "
... all four of them, with an option for 10 more
WHEN [from FlightGlobal]
"the aircraft's payload capacity will increase more than 1,814kg (4,000lb), Boeing says.

The full programme calls for the upgrade of 473 CH-47F models and 69 MH-47G models, a variant used by US Special Operations Command."

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:The full programme calls for the upgrade of 473 CH-47F models and 69 MH-47G models, a variant used by US Special Operations Command."
I believe there is some talk of cancellation of the block II program with respect to the F model as the requirement (Afghanistan) has gone away for the time being.

https://www.janes.com/article/86870/us- ... cy-weapons

https://www.defensenews.com/newsletters ... e-chinook/

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

That would make sense; we might still be getting our G's
- but JLTV would need doors and armour removing, to be lifted by them or will this
"the aircraft's payload capacity will increase more than 1,814kg (4,000lb), Boeing says.
apply to the G's as well as to F's
... and will that increase be enough?

Anyway, now we can go on and replace the LG with a 155mm piece with super-expensive titanium parts put into it, in order to squeeze it into the weight limits
= hang on :lol: , the rounds are still made of cheaper (and heavier) stuff

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

The MoD will get around to it some day. :mrgreen:

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

The US is talking about a reduction in JLTV orders as well. They say like the Block II Chinook it was designed for Afghan type warfare and now question if they need so many when they have lots of Humvees available. Cant find the link as to where I read that though.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

RAF Chinooks are involved with building flood defenses after the River Steeping (Lincolnshire) burst its banks when 2 months of rain fell in 2 days.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-48633669

(Forces TV) 17 June 2019
The RAF has ended a three-day mission to stop a flood in Lincolnshire that has caused hundreds of people to be evacuated from their homes. Residents from a total of 580 homes in the Wainfleet area have been advised to leave their homes after the River Steeping burst its banks earlier this week.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

IF the US Army thinks that possible peer opponents haven't taken note of the effectiveness of IEDs in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that platforms need to have the level of protection offered by the JLTV as against that of the overloaded Humvee, then they are headed for the US version of the "Snatch" Land rover debacle. Some peer opponents will probably saturate the areas behind the front with artillery deployed munitions that are even more effective than the IEDs and harder to detect and neutralise. Yes you can keep the Humvees in their vanilla form back in the US but in theatre they will need the JLTV as will we.

Clive F
United Kingdom

Post by Clive F »

Can someone advise me of the following:
1. Approx cost of a new current RAF Chinook and Merlin in troops transport configuration.
2. How comparable are the running cost.
Thanks

Qwerty
Germany

Post by Qwerty »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces TV) 30 July 2019
The military's Joint Helicopter Command unit has been called in to restore a 200-year-old icon of the Wiltshire landscape. The Alton Barnes White Horse has presided over the hills there since its creation by a farmer in 1812, and local residents in Wiltshire decided it needed some restoration. The military was called in to help transport the 46 tonnes of chalk needed for the job.

cky7
United Kingdom

Post by cky7 »

Lol, I live up the road from that white horse and spent many an evening in my teens/early 20s parked up or wandering by it with girls I took up there to pull. That horse did me a lot of favours so always have a soft spot for him. Hadn’t realised he was so young, I’d always imagined it to be very old what with Avebury, silbury hill et al just a few miles up the road. I remember turning up one evening to see someone had added a huge white penis to him using some sort of white tape! Another evening I remember a near by field had a load of crop circles turn up. The farmers had obviously decided to go with it as he had a sign inviting people to come see it up close (along with a small donation box!). The lucky lady that night was the hippy/emo type so was loving the crop circles. She got us talking to some mad old woman who claimed to tour the entire south of England going to crop circles and claimed to be an expert/authority on the topic and had written a few books (one of which she gave a signed copy of to the girl in question). She made all sorts of fantastic claims that I found very dubious - eg some people can’t enter ‘real’ crop circles as though there’s an invisible barrier physically stopping them. Also she thought they were an attempt at communicating by aliens and had responded to some ‘real’ ones )n the past in the next field, which lead to another more detailed reply/more crop circles the next night, which formed whilst many folks were observ8ng the site but had noticed nothing till daylight revealed the reply!! Thankfully the girl who despite having a different world view to me was VERY hot loved it and I ended enjoying the latter part of the evening!!!

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

U.S. Wanting to Buy Fewer Chinooks Sees U.K., U.A.E. Buying More

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... uying-more
“I believe we will be the position here very shortly to take the next step for notification to Congress” of a proposed sale of 10 additional Chinooks to the U.A.E, with the U.K. likely to buy an additional 14
The U.K. is “going through the process with us on the pricing,” McCarthy said, and he met with his British counterpart a few weeks ago. “They’ll be back here in the November time frame”
Really?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

They already requested and obtained the authorization for 16 at MH-47G (minus AAR probe) months ago; and last year they have paid some money for early procurement activities.

They are unlikely to be additional, however. More like a replacement for the oldest airframes, while bringing in new capabilities that SF director in particular will undoubtedly like.

It seems on the move for real, in other words.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

RichardIC wrote:the U.K. likely to buy an additional 14
As Gaby says the 14 are likely to be the 16
... it is still a lot of money, perhaps we can call Mr. Trump for A Deal?

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
RichardIC wrote:the U.K. likely to buy an additional 14
As Gaby says the 14 are likely to be the 16
... it is still a lot of money, perhaps we can call Mr. Trump for A Deal?
Bloody hell, don't do that he'll up the price and want a cut of the action. :P

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Whose piggy bank are they raiding to pay for them?

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

bobp wrote:Whose piggy bank are they raiding to pay for them?
To some it might sound stupid but our early eighties procured airframes have been progressively updated. ZA718 was unrecognisable from the airframe that I first saw in 1982. However the airframe will like all the early purchases will be life expired soon. The cost of refurbishment for limited hours extension could be more than procuring new. Then reducing the airframes to parts saving on purchasing spares. I expect ZA718 would be kept as a museum exhibit given her history.

clivestonehouse1
United Kingdom

Post by clivestonehouse1 »

[/quote]I expect ZA718 would be kept as a museum exhibit given her history.[/quote]

Hope so, that particular unit holds much historical value.
I myself have flown in and parachuted from 718 many times during my service years.
Seem to recall once peeing against her side on a field deployment exercise as well

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

expect ZA718 would be kept as a museum exhibit
Yes, a great "Sole Survivor" story.
- not part of our history, but - in contrast - none of the Chinook gunships survived from Vietnam, to any museum. I might be wrong?

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I thought the Chinook "Gunship", programme was deemed a failure?