Lockheed C-130 Hercules (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
Smokey
Cyprus

Re: Lockheed C-130 Hercules (RAF)

Post by Smokey »

Looks like the MOD have contracted an AN-124 as well?

Not bad for a tax haven to receive a lot of taxpayer's cash £££££££

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in the BVI and other similar territories is a millionaire. There are many regular low-income people who work for very low wages which service those "tax haven" industries and who live in very poor housing, sometimes in shanty town like conditions.

grimbob
United Kingdom

Post by grimbob »

The US government are in the process of acquiring a former C-130J from the Royal Air Force to replace the older KC-130T 'Fat Albert' for the USN's Blue Angels logistic support role.

http://www.c-130.net/c-130-news-article510.html

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

One of the ones we are binning anyway.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

grimbob wrote:
The US government are in the process of acquiring a former C-130J from the Royal Air Force to replace the older KC-130T 'Fat Albert' for the USN's Blue Angels logistic support role.

http://www.c-130.net/c-130-news-article510.html
Interesting that they have no spare capacity for transports or aircraft that's ready for the cannery

Smokey
Cyprus

Post by Smokey »

The USN/USMC have known where to go for their bargains at a steal of a price ever since they bought a load of used Harrier II’s with one good previous owner.

Fair play to ‘em.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

http://www.janes.com/article/80083/bang ... pport-deal

Bangladesh procurement of two surplus UK C-130Js confirmed with support deal.

Can anyone see beyond the paywall? How much was the sale and does the money come back to the MoD?

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Re: Merlin helicopters

Post by Aethulwulf »

shark bait wrote:Can't put a Herc on a carrier though, and if you can base it close enough, just use the Herc!
https://youtu.be/ZGy2ppViCck

Oh yes you can...

;)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

lets get the one with rocket assistance, things look better with flames coming out the side (controlled flames)
@LandSharkUK

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Aethulwulf wrote:

Oh yes you can...
shark bait wrote:lets get the one with rocket assistance, things look better with flames coming out the side (controlled flames)
Suddenly, for some reason, I got a mental image of the RN version - a Shorts Skyvan with flames coming out of it's @rse
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

France bought some of their Herc J's with refuelling kits (and we plan to keep some of our planes to 2030).
As far as i know, the tanker kit has only ever been integrated in the short fuselage C-130s. The RAF is keeping only the long fuselage ones, despite early reports of a 12-2 split, with the 2 short ones retained specifically to become tactical tankers.

It was understood that the SDSR 2015's vague promises about "longer range" for Special Forces helicopters would result in acquisition of AAR capability, but it doesn't look like it is actually going to happen.
The short-fuselage C-130s will be all gone out of service soon enough, so if those probes are supposed to mean something, time for decisions is now.

Otherwise it'll be just another AAR-capable asset that the UK is unable to refuel, like (for obviously different reasons) Rivet Joint, P-8 and C-17.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

shark bait wrote:Can't put a Herc on a carrier though, and if you can base it close enough, just use the Herc!
Yes you can!

Just can't do anything else in the mean time.

http://www.military.com/video/military- ... 2569251001

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Gabriele wrote: early reports of a 12-2 split, with the 2 short ones retained specifically to become tactical tankers.

It was understood that the SDSR 2015's vague promises about "longer range" for Special Forces helicopters would result in acquisition of AAR capability, but it doesn't look like it is actually going to happen.
The short-fuselage C-130s will be all gone out of service soon enough
"France receives first C-130J Hercules | Jane's 360
http://www.janes.com/article/76683/fran ... j-hercules

Jan 1, 2018 - The first Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules for the French Air Force was ... Martin C/KC-130J Hercules transport/tanker aircraft at Orléans-Bricy in late ... two KC-130J tankers were purchased through a US Foreign Military Sale ."
- I understand that the German purchase of transports specifically for their SF would direct those planes to the same base in France... saves them buying tankers/ tanker kits
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

And what is that supposed to mean...? That the plan is using italian, french, german or american C-130s tankers...?

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Gabriele wrote:As far as i know, the tanker kit has only ever been integrated in the short fuselage C-130s.
It was only a very soft way of refuting "only ever"
... who will do the favours next: that the Airtanker contract only allows the use of those assets in AAR (refuting that)?
err, how do you refuel helicopters from jets?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

It was only a very soft way of refuting "only ever"
But you did not refute anything. The KC-130J is based on the short fuselage, including the ones ordered by France and Germany.
And the RAF is only planning to keep in service the long fuselage variant, the C-130J-30 (C4, for the RAF) while giving up all the short (C5) which are the ones which could be more or leass readily converted to tankers, since KC-130Js are nothing new.

Whether it would be possible at all to turn a C-130-30 into a tanker is something i do not know. The fact that nobody so far tried is not inspiring.

err, how do you refuel helicopters from jets?
You purchase V-22s. They could refuel directly from the Voyager. Guess Director Special Forces and the Navy were both dreaming of it, but we all know it ain't gonna happen.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Surely the obvious answer is for the UK to buy a few Cobham A400 refueling pods. Or am I missing something?

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

shark bait wrote:Can't put a Herc on a carrier though

Sorry, had to be done :D

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Little J wrote:
shark bait wrote:Can't put a Herc on a carrier though

Sorry, had to be done :D
wonder how shed fair with that big hump of metal fixed to the front, might have a few bent prop blades I imagine, or really test her short take-off ability

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Can't imagine the payload would be worth it either.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Didn't they use the rocket packs for the take off during the trials/experiments

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Lord Jim wrote:Didn't they use the rocket packs for the take off during the trials/experiments
JATO Jet Assisted Take Off

That was for when operating on the ice with ski 's on, or when doing a very short loaded take off.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

That's what I thought, and if I remember the Blue Angels support Herc, does this as a party piece at their displays.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Can't remember seeing this here...

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/raf-c-1 ... g-in-iraq/

https://web.archive.org/web/20180708125 ... 9163675649

Apparently, it was a long fuselage one (the variant we're keeping). As far as I can tell, with the sale of 3 short fuselaged C.5's to Bangladesh and the USMC that means we're down to a total of 18. I think the split is 13 C.4 and 5 C.5, but I might be wrong. Surely selling anymore of the fleet now would be foolish?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Timmymagic wrote: with the sale of 3 short fuselaged C.5's to Bangladesh and the USMC that means we're down to a total of 18
I seem to remember the total for Bangladesh went up, to four.
- whether the additional one came from this (reported by inews in August last year) unravelling "Britain decided to withdraw its 10 C-130J aircraft from RAF service in 2015 after a major defence and security review. The Bahraini aircraft are currently being refurbished by Marshall Aerospace Group at Cambridge airport, where the aircraft have been seen in the Bahrain air force camouflage pattern"

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/
... who can tell

Refitting old planes to the SF std ( if we sell all the short bodied one) sounds stupid' but then again, the A-400M is bigger still, so might not suit all occasions in such a use