Boeing P-8A Poseidon (MRA Mk.1) (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
bobp
United Kingdom

Re: Boeing P-8 Poseidon (Maritime Patrol Aircraft) (RAF)

Post by bobp »

I have a liking for Twinings everyday tea and Chocolate Digestives. :D

arfah
Niue

Re: Boeing P-8A Poseidon (Future Maritime Patrol Aircraft) (RAF)

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

raven111
United Kingdom

Re: Boeing P-8 Poseidon (Maritime Patrol Aircraft) (RAF)

Post by raven111 »

SKB wrote:Can a BV (boiler vessel) to fitted to the P-8 for tea making?! ;)
Shouldn't be too hard to rip the galley out of a 737 and slot it in if there's room.

Dave
United Kingdom

Post by Dave »

arfah wrote:Coffee isn't 'Army?'
I presume you've missed all the fuss #coffeegate #jesuiswebber?

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Maybe getting ahead of myself here but where do we now care to think the RAF/UK stands on possible AAS acquisition? A likely logical move? Done deal? Or when flying pigs land on the frozen plains of hell?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Re: Boeing P-8A Poseidon (Future Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft) (RAF)

Post by Ron5 »

~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:Maybe getting ahead of myself here but where do we now care to think the RAF/UK stands on possible AAS acquisition? A likely logical move? Done deal? Or when flying pigs land on the frozen plains of hell?
~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:AAS
Dream on son. Ain't fer sale.

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

Just saw this on a blog where people are still advocating we should have persevered with the Nimrod. It's a reply to an idiot with no clue......

move on…its been dead for 5 years…and as the former RAF officer who signed off its first flight all those years ago, I.might argue with you that it was not as good as you think it was. In reality the airframe in particular had some real issues that needed a shed load more money to get it safely into service even if tbe mission system was almost fully mature. In 2010 the extra cash needed was a bridge too far I’m afraid. .. now at least we are getting an aircraft which is as modern as it gets and if nothing else is common with our principle maritime ally. That means a great deal in itself.

Interesting eh??

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:Just saw this on a blog where people are still advocating we should have persevered with the Nimrod. It's a reply to an idiot with no clue......

move on…its been dead for 5 years…and as the former RAF officer who signed off its first flight all those years ago, I.might argue with you that it was not as good as you think it was. In reality the airframe in particular had some real issues that needed a shed load more money to get it safely into service even if tbe mission system was almost fully mature. In 2010 the extra cash needed was a bridge too far I’m afraid. .. now at least we are getting an aircraft which is as modern as it gets and if nothing else is common with our principle maritime ally. That means a great deal in itself.

Interesting eh??
Interesting, corroborates the other whispers that it was a bag of shit. Chopping them up was the right thing to do in my opinion, perhaps the length of the gap is not the right thing, but at least its going to be fixed very well in the not too distant future.
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Agreed, but I thought it wise to sound a tactical retreat from that thread as the discussion was getting almost religious undertones... some people just believe what they want to believe, and reasoning (facts, piled on top of facts) just does not work.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Ron5 wrote:
~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:Maybe getting ahead of myself here but where do we now care to think the RAF/UK stands on possible AAS acquisition? A likely logical move? Done deal? Or when flying pigs land on the frozen plains of hell?
~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:AAS
Dream on son. Ain't fer sale.
Perhaps not as yet but we are always first in line for exports when the shop opens up - sometimes even before.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:Perhaps not as yet but we are always first in line for exports when the shop opens up - sometimes even before.
There was some chatter that the AAS includes technology from Raytheon UK, and it has been developed in part by Raytheon UK. If true the UK would have some rights to the AAS.
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

shark bait wrote: If true the UK would have some rights to the AAS.
Does not follow automatically. Yes, if with MoD funding (and the contract says so).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Does not follow automatically. Yes, if with MoD funding (and the contract says so).
That much is obvious. The point was rather the UK participation should ease forign militar sales process.
If it is true, and government really wanted, they could effectively seize the technology. I'm not suggesting that would happen, but it makes the case for a formal forign sale stronger.
@LandSharkUK

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Still dreaming.

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

The only outstanding question would be if our air refuelling capabilities need to be revised to include some boom enabled aircraft to cover the growing receptacle equipped airframes.

Ianmb17
United Kingdom

Post by Ianmb17 »

What do you think P8 Poseidon will be called in UK as we rename everything Ajax Atlas Airseeker Protector

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Ron5 wrote:Still dreaming.
Well it mentions an overland ISR role for the P-8 in UK service which certainly leaves the AAS option open. I hardly think we would be denied it if we were to request it. 'Off limits' to others tends not to apply in the UK's case - a particularly notable privilege of our relationship with Washington. In short, we will have to see what the next year or two brings.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Trident is unfortunately taken. Would be nice as in trident, the three pronged spear used for fishing for subs (surface vessels, helos and, now again, the third component in the form of fixed wing a/c).

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote: In short, we will have to see what the next year or two brings.
I agree, but it won't be ready in that time (or will it be?).

Ianmb17
United Kingdom

Post by Ianmb17 »

Don't you think AAS will be the replacement for Sentinel in early 2020s

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote: In short, we will have to see what the next year or two brings.
I agree, but it won't be ready in that time (or will it be?).
Not sure. Perhaps we may even end up being among the first to benefit from it operationally if it is indeed not yet properly in service with the P-8s. I think it was mentioned that we won't have our first aircraft until some point in the next year so it will take time for all 9 to make their way to us i guess.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Ianmb17 wrote:What do you think P8 Poseidon will be called in UK as we rename everything Ajax Atlas Airseeker Protector
Hmm. How about 'Albatross' ? I know its not a native British sea bird, but then neither is the P-8. *dig* ;)

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-