Boeing P-8A Poseidon (MRA Mk.1) (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
downsizer

Re: Boeing P-8A Poseidon (Future Maritime Patrol Aircraft) (RAF)

Post by downsizer »

Do you have any idea how big these sqns are going to be?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

downsizer wrote:Do you have any idea how big these sqns are going to be?
as a tax payer i don't really care. 1 full squadrons worth of senior officers and Staff for 4.5 aircraft is a waste of money from a service that claims to be so short of it......obviously the RAF budget needs trimmed back allot more

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

marktigger wrote:
as a tax payer i don't really care. 1 full squadrons worth of senior officers and Staff for 4.5 aircraft is a waste of money from a service that claims to be so short of it......obviously the RAF budget needs trimmed back allot more
Yeah you're right, it really is that simple! :roll:

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

marktigger wrote:
If you don't know how big they are, then how do you know 2 sqns is too many?

MRCA
United Kingdom

Post by MRCA »

MT

If a Sqn of p8 had say more people than a type 45 assigned to it would you think it ok to have a second one?

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

How many in a USN squadron?

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

Don't know if there are any official figures out for that, but I remember seeing a US naval aviation chart a couple of years ago showing between 5 and 8 P-3C/P-8A per squadron, with the Fleet Replacement Squadron having around 20.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

GibMariner wrote: between 5 and 8 P-3C/P-8A per squadron
What is optimal and what happens (esp. with hew types, only entering service) vary; like USN Growler sqdrn on a carrier has 5, but as soon as they can get enough planes they will make it 7
- quicker to roll new a/c off the pr.line than get all the trades/ experienced crews to stand up a new sqdrn
- as we kept our crewing on life support, why not get the jump-start as a benefit of that investment?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Its nothing to do with the number of aircraft, it's to do with crew numbers. And the number of people that make up such crews. And the two differing roles the two Sqns will be doing.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

downsizer wrote:Its nothing to do with the number of aircraft, it's to do with crew numbers. And the number of people that make up such crews. And the two differing roles the two Sqns will be doing.
and to the Daily Mail and general public it looks like extravagance at times when they are being told to tighten their belts it looks like the military wanting jobs for the senior officer/ranks club. Perception is that whilst other parts of the public sector are saving money the services are wasting it feathering their own nests......Makes it so much easier for the treasury to demand extra savings.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Let's bin some cap badges as well.

The public don't give a sh1t fella.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

marktigger wrote:to the Daily Mail [and general public] it looks like extravagance
- weren't quotes just banned from inclusion to wiki, as the internal contradictions and the outright "manufacturing" of news have become (even more) blatantly obvious?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

A typical Typhoon squadron will have around 20 air crew operating around 10 aircraft.

A P8 has 9 times the air crew of a typhoon, so half the number of aircraft per squadron is not unreasonable at all.

I assume the engineering manpower required for P8 is substantially less than the Typhoon, thanks to its commercial roots, so that will offset some, but not all off the additional air crew.
@LandSharkUK

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

shark bait wrote:A typical Typhoon squadron will have around 20 air crew operating around 10 aircraft.

A P8 has 9 times the air crew of a typhoon, so half the number of aircraft per squadron is not unreasonable at all.
My working assumption was that one squadron will be the OCU and the other would be the operational squadron - and they'd share the pool of nine aircraft which would be allocated on a daily basis.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

RichardIC wrote:
shark bait wrote:A typical Typhoon squadron will have around 20 air crew operating around 10 aircraft.

My working assumption was that one squadron will be the OCU and the other would be the operational squadron - and they'd share the pool of nine aircraft which would be allocated on a daily basis.
Bingo. The spotters obsession with aircraft per squadron baffles me because that isn't the way it works in the real world.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

So how many airframes would be allocated to each when at full strength (or doesn't it work like that?), 3 in the OCU and 6 in the frontline squadron?

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

downsizer wrote:
RichardIC wrote:

Bingo. The spotters obsession with aircraft per squadron baffles me because that isn't the way it works in the real world.
It's easy to do, just a couple of quick sums and it all looks so simple.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

dmereifield wrote:So how many airframes would be allocated to each when at full strength (or doesn't it work like that?), 3 in the OCU and 6 in the frontline squadron?
I would imagine the allocation will be based on who needs what, when and how urgently. All the aircraft will be pooled rather than nominally split between two sqns.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

topman wrote:
dmereifield wrote:So how many airframes would be allocated to each when at full strength (or doesn't it work like that?), 3 in the OCU and 6 in the frontline squadron?
I would imagine the allocation will be based on who needs what, when and how urgently. All the aircraft will be pooled rather than nominally split between two sqns.
Thanks

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Didn't I read the other day that you will eventually receive 15 airframes, once all airframes are operational there should be no need to pool aircraft between Squadrons.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

R686 wrote:Didn't I read the other day that you will eventually receive 15 airframes, once all airframes are operational there should be no need to pool aircraft between Squadrons.
there could be options on another 6 whether they are taken up is another matter.

very interesting Pro/Anti P8 article in this months airforces monthly

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

marktigger wrote:
R686 wrote:Didn't I read the other day that you will eventually receive 15 airframes, once all airframes are operational there should be no need to pool aircraft between Squadrons.
there could be options on another 6 whether they are taken up is another matter.

Do you have a link or is that print media?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

R686 wrote:
marktigger wrote:

print media

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

marktigger wrote:
R686 wrote:
marktigger wrote:

print media
Care to provide a synopsis(?), it's a bit of a tease to say "very interesting Pro/Anti P8 article in this months airforces monthly" and then not elaborate :)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

no its a fairly involved article. Certainly shows that the P8 isn't all singing all dancing and has in some opinions major flaws and there are other options out there that the Idea of a Turboprop was a nonstarter.