Boeing P-8A Poseidon (MRA Mk.1) (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Boeing P-8A Poseidon (MRA Mk.1) (RAF)

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Timmymagic wrote:the first we'll know of an AAS order for the UK is when a P-8 arrives at Lossie with some mystery fins attached...
Indeed. Australia's answer (they had upgraded their previous MPAs to be serious SigInt machines, too) was not to try to fit everything in airframes that, in the end, will be few in number.
BUT, rather, to use drones (big and expensive :( ones) to cover the Multi-Int rqrmnt
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

FWIW USN P8A for the third time in two months intercepted by Russian fighters in eastern Mediterranean, latest episode Su-35s shadowed the P-8A for 65 minutes, Russians from flying from Hmeimim air base in Syria and Al Jufra in Libya.

From <https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... -24s-libya>

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Number 3 painted and named.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Nice to see another one on the way, its a shame that it does not have air to air refuelling compatible with our Tanker, and I am curious whether it will come with a weapons fit.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

This is an interesting article suggesting the U.S.N has provided further capabilities for its P-8A aircraft
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... -china-sea
could the R.A.F p-8,s be similarly equipped for their own mapping missions

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Possible if we want to pony up the cash

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

I take it that pod would replace the Sentinal then?

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Norway going there own way

https://www.key.aero/article/boeing-and ... on-support

Norway’s Kongsberg Defense and Aerospace (KDA) has signed a memorandum of understanding with Boeing to provide localised maintenance and support on the nation’s future P-8A Poseidon fleet.

Announced by KDA on June 18, the MoU will also create new jobs in Norway and will further develop its defence industry. The deal also caters for the construction of a new maintenance centre to provide local production and support services for the Norwegian P-8A fleet. Additional training for aviation industry workers in Norway is also detailed in the MoU.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Rumour has it that there is something in the works for the F-35 as well. With 52+48 the nice, round number is still not small
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

The P8 facility has been handed over....

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

You'd think that could support a bigger fleet :D

PS that's one excellent video

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

With a relatively slight increase in depth, I feel that accommodation for Five aircraft ought to be possible! :mrgreen:

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

bobp wrote:The P8 facility has been handed over....
It's an impressive facility, and it seems to be the model going forward, and I can understand the logic. But I can't help getting a feeling of 'eggs all in 1 basket'...
Want to cripple the entire UK MPA fleet....just got to hit 1 building...we seem to have totally forgotten a lot of the lessons from the Cold War about hardening and dispersal. No doubt cost comes into play, but still...

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Timmymagic wrote:'eggs all in 1 basket'.
Well some Airbases are still using buildings from WW2 time, but I do appreciate your point as it was my exact thoughts. Next up will be RAF Waddington for the Wedgetail and lets hope they extend the runway there as well.

albedo
United Kingdom

Post by albedo »

Timmymagic wrote:
bobp wrote:The P8 facility has been handed over....
But I can't help getting a feeling of 'eggs all in 1 basket'...
Want to cripple the entire UK MPA fleet....just got to hit 1 building...we seem to have totally forgotten a lot of the lessons from the Cold War about hardening and dispersal. No doubt cost comes into play, but still...
It's difficult to quantify that concern. If there was a surprise, truly out of the blue, attack then presumably an adversary like Russia could lob - within reason - missiles at multiple airfields simultaneously.

But if there was some forewarning, wouldn't there be a short-notice dispersal plan for at least some assets, crews etc to more remote parts of the airfield or indeed to other airfields? I don't know offhand how many 'serious' military airfields the UK has left but presumably several civil airfields could also be pressed into service for dispersal if the balloon really went up (but short of a full-on nuclear confrontation)

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Anyone else getting a feeling that the RAF is trying very hard to show off as many assets as possible ahead of the forthcoming SDSR?

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Jensy wrote:Anyone else getting a feeling that the RAF is trying very hard to show off as many assets as possible ahead of the forthcoming SDSR?
Typhoon and F35B next....then they'll make a point that the F35B wasn't sufficiently persistent, and that the F35A would have been better.... ;)

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

With current numbers of P8 Poseidon, I doubt they will be able to provide 24/7 surveillance of the Channel with the P8s.

Even when all 9 are delivered, I doubt they could simultaneously maintain surveillance of the Channel and go sub hunting in the North.

Maybe this is the point the RAF are try to make; they need more P8s.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Need another 9! :mrgreen:

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

Scimitar54 wrote:Need another 9! :mrgreen:
At £100mn an a/c, then another 9 would be approx 2 T31s... what would have more impact in the North Atlantic or Far East for that matter...
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Well it would have a positive impact on the North Atlantic and as for the Far East, well I still think nothing should be permanently stationed out there with the current and planned size of the Royal Navy Fleet.