Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
bobp
United Kingdom

Re: Typhoon

Post by bobp »

Must be a bit of work with the new Radar and other updates. But not looking good for the future that's for sure. We need a follow on to the Typhoon but will there be sufficient orders to warrant UK production? Especially with all the reductions in defence expenditure lately.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Do anybody knows what's the price of new AESA radar for Typhoon?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

bobp wrote: Must be a bit of work with the new Radar and other updates. But not looking good for the future that's for sure.
RUSI has come out with an in-depth comparison between Typhoon and Rafale as for their future upgrades and general growth potential. It was mentioned in the passing that AESA for Typhoon will now happen in the 20's. Such a delay to me suggests a plan to keep the line ticking ever so slowly (in maintenance and upgrade mode) so as to be able to run it again.

The second bit (from the same author, but not directly quoted from the RUSI piece) that was interesting
" In terms of air-to-ground munitions, Rafale is currently the clear winner with the full French air-to-ground arsenal integrated including the nuclear strike role. The Hammer AASM has proven highly effective and accurate, with good range for a bomb adaptor kit although it is expensive compared to alternatives. Typhoon in its current tranche 2 and 3 P1Eb configuration as deployed in Cyprus for operations against ISIL can only deliver the excellent Paveway IV laser and gps-guided bomb, guided by a Litening III targeting pod. However, once the Brimstone anti-armour missile and Storm Shadow cruise missiles are added in 2018 and 2016 respectively, Typhoon will be comparable to Rafale in terms of its conventional strike suite. In recce terms, Rafale currently has the edge as the world-beating DB110 RAPTOR pod is only integrated on Tornado and although there are plans to fit it to Typhoon which would close the gap, these are not concrete as yet."

As for the "as yet" at the end, it would make it unlikely by 2019 (the Tornado OSD as announced)?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

I think the RAF has given up on RAPTOR for Typhoon.

If i have to dare guessing, i think it will purchase the new Litening 5 targeting pod and use it also as a recce sensor, and that will be it. It has trialed the Reccelite XR, though, the long range recce pod derivative of Litening.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

I wonder if the typhoons going to S Korea are more than an exercise.

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

RAPTOR is being touted as being integrated onto Protector.

LordJim
United Kingdom

Post by LordJim »

Would make sense as the USAF is already working to install a similar sensor in their reapers. Its weight though would mean we would end up with two types of protector, dedicated surveillance and surveillance/attack, the former with the LR sensor and the latter more like the existing Reapers.

On a different subject, I really think the RAF needs to look at increasing the number of airframes and pilots allocated to each squadron. Already squadrons are down to 12 airframes including those not in deep maintenance, so on paper the RAF will have a pool of 24 Tranche 1 and 60 Tranche 2/3 Typhoons available for operations. Given the former are to be used for QRA in the UK this does leave quite a small pool from which to form operational deployments whilst conducting training etc. However this will be worse for the F-35 fleet where we will probably have to scrape the barrel to field 24 to deploy on a carrier until at least 2030, and probably longer.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

abc123 wrote:Do anybody knows what's the price of new AESA radar for Typhoon?

BUMP this question
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

1 billion for development, shared between partners at least to a degree. Production and retrofit cost, we'll see.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

CAPTOR-M is not as far behind as it might first sound. This is from hushkit.net, from the same author who did the Typhoon piece for RUSI:

" in very broad terms CAPTOR-M which is the current radar on Typhoon is the most advanced and capable mechanically scanned fighter radar in service around the world. It loses out to the new RBE2 AESA radar which has entered service with Armee de l’Air Rafales in terms of low-probability of intercept (stealthy emissions) and multiple simultaneous tracking and search capabilities. In the air to air domain, at longer ranges against a small number of conventional threat aircraft, Typhoon might well have the advantage over even the RBE2 due to its impressive range and resolution. However, against large numbers of targets at different ranges/altitudes and certainly in a ground-scanning role, the Rafale is currently ahead on radar capabilities. Once the long-delayed CAPTOR-E AESA radar is integrated onto [RAF's] Typhoon in the early 2020s, however, Typhoon should have the advantage in radar and greater development potential since its radar aperture is much larger, can fit a greater number of T/R modules for its AESA than Rafale and will have a much wider field of regard. "

However, only the Russians seem to be in on the game of side-view panels on their AESAs (to match F-35's all-around sensor capability), the Swedes in hot pursuit (according to Bill Sweetman):
" The Raven ES-05 features a “repositioner”: the AESA is sharply canted and mounted on a rotating bearing, giving it a +-100-deg. field of regard, almost twice that of a fixed AESA. It has a single bearing, unlike the more complex two-bearing design planned for the Eurofighter Typhoon, reducing weight and cost.

The AESA incorporates an identification friend-or-foe (IFF) function that works in conjunction with the SIT 426 IFF. The latter features large active-array antennas on the fuselage sides, behind the radome, providing unprecedented IFF coverage in azimuth and range. "
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Be nice if it worked.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Things in development tend to not be fully ready. It's why they're in development. ;)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

It's extremely behind schedule. Reminiscent of the F1's concrete radar.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Isn't that only because the consortium took such a long time to put their hands in their pockets and decide to put some real money behind the thing?

Now that's done things should be coming along nicely.
@LandSharkUK

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Every time I see the "to replace Tornado in 2018" I just shiver internally.

130-140 Typhoons + 14-15 F-35's in total from 2018 onwards with so few F-35's coming per year.

Probably only 150 combat aircraft...I just can't get over that.

Almost 100% chance we'll never go above 200 aircraft ever again now.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

130-140 doesn't equal 130-140 flyable frames either.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

So you guys don't think we will meet the SDSR 2015 mandated 9 frontline squadrons post 2018 - which I think was 7 typhoon and 2 F35b?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

dmereifield wrote:the SDSR 2015 mandated 9 frontline squadrons post 2018 - which I think was 7 typhoon and 2 F35b?
5 of sustainable typhoons
2 of Tranche 1s, to be flown to the ground (proverbially) in QRA role (w/o upgrades, and using up the AMRAAMs before their expiry - not by firing, but shake, rattle and roll - I hope!)
1 frontline of 12 B's (for show, to meet carrier strike ISD); the rest in training/ conversion
1 armed wide-area battlefield recce Tornado squadron (the bizjets nor the Protectors have no self defence, or even decoys)
- can double up as a tank-killer sqdrn... gone 10 years later than what has been, by now, announced? (Yippee, by then we will have enough of the B's to actually have forward deployed fleet EQT 2 sqdrns).

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
dmereifield wrote:the SDSR 2015 mandated 9 frontline squadrons post 2018 - which I think was 7 typhoon and 2 F35b?
5 of sustainable typhoons
2 of Tranche 1s, to be flown to the ground (proverbially) in QRA role (w/o upgrades, and using up the AMRAAMs before their expiry - not by firing, but shake, rattle and roll - I hope!)
1 frontline of 12 B's (for show, to meet carrier strike ISD); the rest in training/ conversion
1 armed wide-area battlefield recce Tornado squadron (the bizjets nor the Protectors have no self defence, or even decoys)
- can double up as a tank-killer sqdrn... gone 10 years later than what has been, by now, announced? (Yippee, by then we will have enough of the B's to actually have forward deployed fleet EQT 2 sqdrns).
Yikes, so down to 7 frontline squadrons then...

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Well, until last year it was 6 squadrons in 2020, without even having the grace of using the Tranche 1 as gap-filler, so... amazingly, it could have been even worse.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

I wouldn't speak too soon if I were you. This government is clearly using the defence budget like a piggy bank. Any time they come up short somewhere else, the bank is robbed. The 2% GDP is a fiction.

LordJim
United Kingdom

Post by LordJim »

7 front line squadrons equals 84 airframes on the books. now deduct between 25% and 30% for maintenance and you end up with 60 and 50 serviceable airframes for ALL operational needs!!

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

LordJim wrote:7 front line squadrons equals 84 airframes on the books. now deduct between 25% and 30% for maintenance and you end up with 60 and 50 serviceable airframes for ALL operational needs!!
You guys whinge and whine about Typhoon numbers as if the RAF are operating in a vacuum, where its potential enemies aren't under exactly the same kind of pressures regarding ratios of total number of airframes available to those ready to fly at any one time.

Every airforce on the planet will have similar arrangements, even the mighty USAF, where they also have a chronic problem of many of their front line jets being 30-40yrs old.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Stunning Images From Japan as RAF Typhoons Storm the Skies

Royal Air Force fighter jets have stormed the skies of Northern Japan this week in the first military exercise of its kind with the country’s defence forces.

RAF Typhoons of 2 (Army Cooperation) Squadron, completed joint training flights over the Pacific Ocean alongside Japan Air Self Defense Force (JASDF) aircraft from Misawa and Chitose Air Bases.

Since welcoming the powerful combat aircraft which flew half-way around the world, Misawa Air Base and its local community have seen Voyager tanker and C-17 transport aircraft delivering essential equipment for the RAF deployment. To great excitement people have also witnessed the first formations of Typhoon and Mitsubishi F-2A.

RAF personnel including teams of engineers, flight operations, logistics, security and many other trades have worked closely with their JASDF counterparts to establish the Squadron’s deployed operating base.

The final week will test pilots and groundcrew in a range of scenarios designed to develop the skills, practices and understanding between these closest security partners.

Guardian North 16 continues until 4th November.