Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
dmereifield
United Kingdom

Re: Typhoon

Post by dmereifield »

matt00773 wrote: This deal may also include local build and assembly of Typhoon parts and the servicing of them. This is very important for Saudi Arabia as they are developing a more diverse economy as part of their 2030 vision.
No breaking out the champagne until 1] the contract is signed, and , 2] we find out where they are being built

sea_eagle
United Kingdom

Post by sea_eagle »

sunstersun wrote:Congrats to the Brits and fellow typhoon nations.
Since we have a precedent, set by the Saudi dude, I think we should offer the same GREAT DEAL to Pres Trump - want a royal visit and meet the Queen? That will be 48 Typhoons Mr. President? :lol:
After all you are president of the greatest country in the world and little ol Saudi took 48, now if you wanted 100 we will throw in a ride in the golden carriage down Pall Mall complete with Horse Guards in full dress uniform. You would look just great Mr President. :clap:

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

RAF Typhoons are taking part in one of Europe’s biggest military exercises to bolster NATO’s ability to respond to aggression.

Six jets from Royal Air Force Coningsby-based 3 (Fighter) Squadron are in Greece to test their skills alongside the Hellenic Air Force and Top Guns from America, Italy, and the United Arab Emirates.

It’s the RAF’s first appearance at Exercise Iniochos and the Typhoons have been practicing air tactics in a multinational environment in preparation for future Coalition operations in the Middle East and elsewhere.

UK Detachment Commander Wing Commander Lewis Cunningham said: “This is the first time that Typhoon has deployed to Greece. This Exercise offers us a great opportunity to prepare for future operations and strengthens our existing relationship with the Greek Armed Forces.”

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

So what other options are we looking at for Typhoon exports? There's Belgium, but I have doubts about that. Apparently something positive about Malaysia? Canada is probably not worth mentioning. Finland? That's probably JSF or Gripen.

Maybe Kuwait gets like 12 more. But I really don't see any big opportunities post saudi order.

Would be nice to pick up a couple more 24 orders. Would stretch the line to 2032 at least. Really important the line stays as long as possible as UK approaches Typhoon replacement.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

sunstersun wrote:So what other options are we looking at for Typhoon exports?
Realistically that's it, unless there is some totally left field proposal. Kuwait is unlikely to get more. They've got sufficient for their needs and F-18E/F on the way. Oman is also likely to keep its fleet at its present size. They also have Block 50/52 F-16. Belgium is a possibility but must be a distant second to F-35, same with Finland to Gripen/F-35.

The only possible orders, barring any second hand Tranche 1 sales is a small chance of an order for Malaysia. I think the possibility of a German order as a Tornado replacement is about as far fetched as a Canadian order. Same with India.

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

Timmymagic wrote:
sunstersun wrote:So what other options are we looking at for Typhoon exports?
Realistically that's it, unless there is some totally left field proposal. Kuwait is unlikely to get more. They've got sufficient for their needs and F-18E/F on the way. Oman is also likely to keep its fleet at its present size. They also have Block 50/52 F-16. Belgium is a possibility but must be a distant second to F-35, same with Finland to Gripen/F-35.

The only possible orders, barring any second hand Tranche 1 sales is a small chance of an order for Malaysia. I think the possibility of a German order as a Tornado replacement is about as far fetched as a Canadian order. Same with India.
Never doubt German stupidity when it comes to procurement.

It's something that's followed them since early WW2.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Timmymagic wrote:I think the possibility of a German order as a Tornado replacement is [about as] far fetched
When their Gvmnt (admittedly a new one is just starting) has said that to be the plan?

Of course the real driver for such a plan is to build the bridge (in time) for the Franco-German project to kick in - in earnest. Rather than run down capacity and make building "it" back up prohibitively expensive... something that we have experience of across defence (luckily least so in aerospace).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

The Malaysian contest is interesting, it sees the UK doing a French trick by using the UK government to finance the deal, I think that's a new approach for the UK.

Its Typhoon against F35 in Belgium, the immediate reaction would signal the newer aircraft, but maybe the politics behind buying a European aircraft is enough to hook Belgium?
@LandSharkUK

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:When their Gvmnt (admittedly a new one is just starting) has said that to be the plan?
That's what makes me not believe it...

I know they're talking about a defence budget increase, but in reality that money will principally go on correcting the readiness, maintenance and spares issues they've got to date for the next few years. It will take them the better part of a decade just to address those issues. Either way they'll need to make a decision sharpish. Can't see them going beyond the F-35A to be honest, particularly for the role that they're keen on.

sunstersun
United States of America

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Post by sunstersun »

shark bait wrote:The Malaysian contest is interesting, it sees the UK doing a French trick by using the UK government to finance the deal, I think that's a new approach for the UK.

Its Typhoon against F35 in Belgium, the immediate reaction would signal the newer aircraft, but maybe the politics behind buying a European aircraft is enough to hook Belgium?
I'd bet on that Belgium logic before brexit, but not after.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Doesn't Belgium want an aircraft that can carry B61's?

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Ron5 wrote:Doesn't Belgium want an aircraft that can carry B61's?
I believe so, but their requirements aren't public yet.

As a note, Germany just fired the head of their air force for not sticking to the "Typhoon is the plan" party line. Sounds like they're serious about a batch 2.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

RetroSicotte wrote:

As a note, Germany just fired the head of their air force for not sticking to the "Typhoon is the plan" party line. Sounds like they're serious about a batch 2.
Good news (well not for the poor guy/gal fired). Do you think they will be looking for a sizeable number of air frames (ca. 48-72) to replace their Tornado fleet 1 for 1(ish) or a smaller number (say ca. 24) to keep things ticking over until the planned German-Franco 6th gen aircraft (supposedly) comes on stream in the late 30's/early 40's?

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

dmereifield wrote:
RetroSicotte wrote:

Good news (well not for the poor guy/gal fired). Do you think they will be looking for a sizeable number of air frames (ca. 48-72) to replace their Tornado fleet 1 for 1(ish) or a smaller number (say ca. 24) to keep things ticking over until the planned German-Franco 6th gen aircraft (supposedly) comes on stream in the late 30's/early 40's?
I'd bet on 48-72. They don't want to close that line. And Germany should be hopefully raising military spending.

citation here. http://augengeradeaus.net/2018/03/die-v ... rsonalien/

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Buying additional Typhoons makes sense on many levels, it will just upset the Luftwaffe top brass as it appears they wanted to get on the 5th Generation bandwagon sooner with possibly buying the F-35. Good news if they do go with Typhoon as it will open up further growth options that de not rely on middle eastern customers.

Clive F
United Kingdom

Post by Clive F »

How much extra is it worth assembling a typhoon in the UK rather than supplying the our bits bro Germany to assemble?

Clive F
United Kingdom

Post by Clive F »

Should have proof read that lol

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

http://www.scaf.org.uk/library/prespape ... YSTEMS.pdf

idk how much final assembly is worth. all i can say is germany got a better deal since they dropped a decent chunk of aircraft yet still kept the same workshare.

BTW, having 4 assembly lines is stupid as fuck.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

sunstersun wrote:I'd bet on that Belgium logic before brexit, but not after.
60% of the aircraft comes from the EU, thats a lot more than F35.
sunstersun wrote:BTW, having 4 assembly lines is stupid as fuck.
Correct, thank's politics.
@LandSharkUK

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

sunstersun wrote:w much final assembly is worth. all i can say is germany got a better deal since they dropped a decent chunk of aircraft yet still kept the same workshare.
Germany actually had to come to a financial arrangement with the other partners to compensate them for this. Same with the A400.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

shark bait wrote:
sunstersun wrote:I'd bet on that Belgium logic before brexit, but not after.
60% of the aircraft comes from the EU, thats a lot more than F35.
And with one third in Germany, I'm sure Merkel will be doing some heavy leaning on them to go with European option, and given her current situation she could do with the positive news associated with it. Given the rising anti-EU/populist sentiment around the continent it wouldn't bode well for the Capital of the project to shun the European solution for an American solution (especially given Trump's recent trade rhetoric and tariffs etc).....the only politically viable option for both Belgium and Germany is the Eurofighter....

Clive F
United Kingdom

Post by Clive F »

Wouldn't the logical option be for Germany to go for a Typhoon plus/ Typhoon E/ Typhoon Advanced (insert name of choice that that sounds modern) with conformal tanks / higher stealth etc which could not only get export orders but make them have the only final assembly line in operation?

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Clive F wrote:Typhoon plus/ Typhoon E/ Typhoon Advanced (insert name of choice that that sounds modern)
Super Tiffy :thumbup: :wave:

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Tempest.....

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

Clive F wrote:Wouldn't the logical option be for Germany to go for a Typhoon plus/ Typhoon E/ Typhoon Advanced (insert name of choice that that sounds modern) with conformal tanks / higher stealth etc which could not only get export orders but make them have the only final assembly line in operation?
i mean, how do you get stealth on the typhoon? and the typhoon still won't be better than the rafale in a strike role given the lack of EW.

super typhoon is basically tranche 3 with conformal tanks. where's the upgrade path?