Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ron5 wrote:Or will Tempest be the new Tornado? Seems big enough, with big internal bomb bays Or will Tempest just be the new 6th gen Spitfire like Typhoon is the 4th gen Spit?
That's a v good question as Tempest seems to be the size of F-15 (Strike Eagles included). I guess the answer will evolve with how much the initiative will be able to deliver for Typhoon upgrades... probably more on the airsuperiority side of things than sharpening it up for long-range interdiction.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Maybe "Strike Eagle" isn't a bad comparison, though I think Air to Air will have priority over Air to Ground.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

I can't imagine either Sweden or Italy wanting a large aircraft.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Ron5 wrote:I can't imagine either Sweden or Italy wanting a large aircraft.
Last time I checked Sweden apparently still doesn't want any aircraft, large or small. Their interest in the Tempest programme seems purely about the technologies. I assume that they're looking at adapting what they can to a more advanced Gripen variant. As for Italy, I assume that they want something that can operate comfortably over North Africa from their southern bases and the Tornado ADV wasn't exactly a pygmy. :)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Pseudo wrote:As for Italy, I assume that they want something that can operate comfortably over North Africa from their southern bases and the Tornado ADV wasn't exactly a pygmy.
I don't think you know much about Italy and Tornado ADV :cry:

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

In respect to the Pirate infrared system mounted on the Eurofighter , would the Eurofighter benefit from having more sensors added to the aircraft of this ability , the present sensor is mounted over the nose on the left there does not seem to be any information on its field of scan and it would not be expected to be the same as its radar which is why I wondered if additional sensors could be fitted to other regions of the aircraft as per this article for another aircraft
https://www.militaryaerospace.com/senso ... et-fighter

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

The Pirate IRST covers the frontal arc of the Typhoon level with its flight path and above to a certain angle, though this can be altered by the attitude of the aircraft. I believe Pirate is still state of the art compared to other systems out there and its position id probably better than what both the USAF and USN are adopting by installing the seeker under the fuselage on the centreline station. I also believe the Pirate IRST is linked to the pilots helmet.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

I am not arguing against the capability of Pirate but would note it cannot view 365 degrees as the f35 and even claimed on the newer Chinese aircraft

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Lord Jim wrote:The Pirate IRST covers the frontal arc of the Typhoon level with its flight path and above to a certain angle, though this can be altered by the attitude of the aircraft. I believe Pirate is still state of the art compared to other systems out there and its position id probably better than what both the USAF and USN are adopting by installing the seeker under the fuselage on the centreline station. I also believe the Pirate IRST is linked to the pilots helmet.
I believe Pirate is being replaced/upgraded so probably not up to scratch right now.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

seaspear wrote:I am not arguing against the capability of Pirate but would note it cannot view 365 degrees as the f35 and even claimed on the newer Chinese aircraft
365 degrees?!? Now that's impressive! :D

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Ron5 wrote:I believe Pirate is being replaced/upgraded so probably not up to scratch right now.
Cheers for that bit of info, I shall do some digging tonight to fond out more. AS for the F-35 and the latest Chinese fighter (Which one?) having a IRST that can scan 365 degrees, though I would have thought 3690 degrees would be more then enough, does the F-35 even have an IRST?

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

I said 365 I should have said 360 degrees my bad.
https://www.f35.com/about/capabilities/missionsystems
the Chinese aircraft has been claimed to be the Chengdu j-29 with six cameras mounted around the aircraft the same as the f35 , Im not sure of the capability of the Russian fighter jet the Sukoi-57 in this regard

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Is this something that Leonardo is working on that may be added to the Eurofighter
https://www.edrmagazine.eu/leonardo-lau ... protection

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

seaspear wrote:Is this something that Leonardo is working on that may be added to the Eurofighter
https://www.edrmagazine.eu/leonardo-lau ... protection
Don't know much about IR detection but could imagine that as this one will be
"The primary role of MAIR is to detect and warn of incoming missiles. As part of a defensive aids suite, MAIR can significantly improve the survivability of crews by detecting, tracking, classifying and declaring that an incoming missile is a threat"
and uses 6 cameras for coverage, there might be a role for a more powerful one for target detection at extreme ranges?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Typically vague yet highly detailed press release.
It is planned to equip the RAF Typhoon aircraft from the mid-2020s.
How many Typhoons?

Pretty certain the remaining Tranche 1s aren't viable to upgrade.

The Tranche 3 models are pre-wired for Aesa radar and it's requirements.

Which leaves the majority of the fleet, the c.67 Tranche 2 aircraft that are 'semi-prepared' for Aesa. Apparently require additional cooling at the very least.

How much more is that going to add to R&D/integration costs that are already £317m, without any radars bought?

inch

Post by inch »

Can Someone explain to me ,is this the same radar the Germans and Spanish have newly committed to upgrade too or a new future upgraded development of it for the RAF ,ie same as theirs or improved upon ,I couldn't work it out? Thanks folks

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

inch wrote:Can Someone explain to me ,is this the same radar the Germans and Spanish have newly committed to upgrade too or a new future upgraded development of it for the RAF ,ie same as theirs or improved upon ,I couldn't work it out? Thanks folks
https://www.defense-aerospace.com/artic ... three.html
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

inch

Post by inch »

Thanks abd123 your a good man .so I wonder if the main difference between German and RAF versions will be more electronic attack bias in the RAF version going off previous article ?

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

More from Defense-Aerospace dated Sept 3rd :-

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/artic ... phoon.html

cyrilranch
United Kingdom

Post by cyrilranch »

jonas wrote:More from Defense-Aerospace dated Sept 3rd :-

It been reported this is a just a development upgrade contact compare to what the Spanish and germans are geting which is a mk1 version now. THERE is at present no production or and refit contact. It's just money being spent on what could be. It could end up just like fres where 2 billion has been spent with no produ tion vehicles being delivered.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

It's interesting to see that this investment doesn't make mention of Tempest, or isn't badged as "Tempest funding", given that some of the early sceptical comments of the Tempest programme was that it was just a shell/vehicle for research, development and Typhoon upgrade programmes as opposed to a legit programme aimed at developing a new fighter aircraft

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

In the countering of drones is this to be presumed as a counter to military U.A.Vs that may fly alongside manned aircraft
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambl ... f53b0015bc

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

cyrilranch wrote:

It been reported this is a just a development upgrade contact compare to what the Spanish and germans are geting which is a mk1 version now. THERE is at present no production or and refit contact. It's just money being spent on what could be. It could end up just like fres where 2 billion has been spent with no produ tion vehicles being delivered.
This story carries the same date as your post. I did only see it today, so no irony implied:

New radar developed for RAF Typhoon fighters can spot targets in Birmingham from overhead London

The MoD has committed £317 million to bring the prototype radar to production standard
By Dominic Nicholls, Defence and Security Correspondent [@ The Torygraph] 3 September 2020 • 12:32pm

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Are we once again going for the "Gold plated" option when another that would do the job is already available? Yes develop the Radar, it would be a good starting point for Tempest, but does the Typhoon really need it or should some of the money be use to equip our Tranche 2 Typhoons with an AESA radar, not just the Tranche 3, albeit the Mk1 E-Captor the Germans and Spanish are planning to use.