Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Post by RetroSicotte »

I'd presume "stealth" on the Typhoon is less a case of redoing the entire plane so much as just increased active electronic defences and increased passive awareness sensor suite.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I thought the UK's Typhoons at least had a pretty impressive Defensive EW suite. If you are talking offensive EW then very few European fast jets have this capability that I know of.

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

Lord Jim wrote:I thought the UK's Typhoons at least had a pretty impressive Defensive EW suite. If you are talking offensive EW then very few European fast jets have this capability that I know of.
Give credit to the French I guess.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Lord Jim wrote:I thought the UK's Typhoons at least had a pretty impressive Defensive EW suite. If you are talking offensive EW then very few European fast jets have this capability that I know of.
Praetorian is impressive, but there are some active elements it could incorporate, especially looking at the F-35. Typhoon with CAPTOR-E does actually have offensive EW, but I'm referring more to a more varied suite of active cancellation and more spherical based IRST.

That and even if you stick with what you have, they can always be upgraded and made better.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

At least we stuck an IRST on the Typhoon, I thought that would go the same way they tried to remove the gum from RAF aircraft. Knowing the RAF they are probably thinking "Well the F-35 as an offensive EW capability if we need it so rather than give the same capability to the Typhoon we will spend the money elsewhere", then the RAF loses the money to someone else. Saying that if low vis becomes less effective I expect to see the rise and deployment of very advanced, direction and intelligent EW system in short order across most frontline western aircraft.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Clive F wrote:Wouldn't the logical option be for Germany to go for a Typhoon plus/ Typhoon E/ Typhoon Advanced (insert name of choice that that sounds modern) with conformal tanks / higher stealth etc which could not only get export orders but make them have the only final assembly line in operation?
Indeed. A different role from what they have their current Typhoons (err, Eurofighters for).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Lord Jim wrote: If you are talking offensive EW then very few European fast jets have this capability that I know of.
Don't know about Captor-E (someone might...?) but there will be a few F-35s around - soon-ish.
Ron5 wrote:Tempest....
Let's rub it in... the one with conformal tanks could be "Mosquito". As they were doing extended-range precision strike - and path finding for the more clumsy bombers, following.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Next they will be calling the Lossiemouth Wing the "Pathfinders".

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Lord Jim wrote: the "Pathfinders"
Taken up ;)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Lord Jim wrote: the "Pathfinders"
Taken up ;)
You've been quiet of late, all ok?

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

If crab air starts usurping the title of 'pathfinder' then they will be getting a leather enema from the red devils! :evil:

indeid

Post by indeid »

jimthelad wrote:If crab air starts usurping the title of 'pathfinder' then they will be getting a leather enema from the red devils! :evil:
Not sure why, the RAF can rightly claim proud lineage with the term, and RAF Wyton seems to have escaped this particular ‘wrath’.

Think 7 Sqn is an ex PFF unit still going, and I suppose the junior Sqn can also claim a connection, although the life story of Leonard Cheshire is well worth a read.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

indeid wrote:Not sure why, the RAF can rightly claim proud lineage with the term
I must admit that my brain usually fills in the word "squadron" after "pathfinder"

From Wiki - a complete list of Allied WW2 Pathfinder Squadrons and aircraft used

No. 7 Squadron RAF - Stirling, then Lancaster
No. 35 Squadron RAF - Halifax, then Lancaster
No. 83 Squadron RAF - Lancaster
No. 97 Squadron RAF - Lancaster
No. 105 Squadron RAF - Mosquito
No. 109 Squadron RAF - Wellington, then Mosquito - Oboe
No. 128 Squadron RAF - Mosquito formed 1944
No. 139 Squadron RAF - Mosquito
No. 142 Squadron RAF - Mosquito formed 1944
No. 156 Squadron RAF - Wellington, then Lancaster
No. 162 Squadron RAF - Mosquito formed 1944
No. 163 Squadron RAF - Mosquito formed 1945
No. 405 Squadron RCAF - Halifax, then Lancaster
No. 571 Squadron RAF - Mosquito formed 1944
No. 582 Squadron RAF - Lancaster formed 1944
No. 608 Squadron RAF - Mosquito formed 1944
No. 627 Squadron RAF - Mosquito formed 1943
No. 635 Squadron RAF - Lancaster formed 1944
No. 692 Squadron RAF - Mosquito formed 1944
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

The Pathfinder is a term now reserved to the pathfinder platoon The Parachute Regiment.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Does anyone give a shit?

indeid

Post by indeid »

jimthelad wrote:The Pathfinder is a term now reserved to the pathfinder platoon The Parachute Regiment.
How do you reserve exclusive use of a word? Will I get hunted down for even saying it? Should I whisper it in future?

What do I call someone who finds a path next time we’re out on the hills?

Do DIFC need to rename their building?

So many questions.........

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

And many answers. Personally I would say call it what you wish (unless you are crab air) lol. That said the pathfinder sqn in WW2 were serious troops.

indeid

Post by indeid »

jimthelad wrote:And many answers. Personally I would say call it what you wish (unless you are crab air) lol. That said the pathfinder sqn in WW2 were serious troops.
So no answers then.......

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

I find it remarkable that a bit of inter-force banter about a name gets taken so seriously by some. Chill out, poking fun is a forces tradition, after all.

indeid

Post by indeid »

RetroSicotte wrote:I find it remarkable that a bit of inter-force banter about a name gets taken so seriously by some. Chill out, poking fun is a forces tradition, after all.
Only one person is taking it seriously!

Apparently even daring to utter the word ‘Pathfinder’ (ssssh) is enough to be on the receiving end of a kicking from the Red Devil’s. Twice if you happen to be ‘crab air’.

They have reserved the word don’t you know.

Maybe it’s trademarked?

Banter would be adding a comment about the RAF vs Army rugby result yesterday :thumbup:

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

:shh: :evil:

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

indeid wrote:
RetroSicotte wrote:I find it remarkable that a bit of inter-force banter about a name gets taken so seriously by some. Chill out, poking fun is a forces tradition, after all.

Apparently even daring to utter the word ‘Pathfinder’ (ssssh) is enough to be on the receiving end of a kicking from the Red Devil’s. Twice if you happen to be ‘crab air’.

Maybe it’s trademarked?

Banter would be adding a comment about the RAF vs Army rugby result yesterday :thumbup:
Being someone who has worked extensively with the Parachute Regiment, as a crab qualified military parachutist. I find them the most humble of bloke, keen as mustard to learn and very respectful if you have experience in what you are instructing, passed a similar course and have provided FP on MERT.

You’ll find most of the “banter” is from the ardent Cold War warriors who many have been to Ireland, and that’s it.

indeid

Post by indeid »

Tinman wrote:
indeid wrote:

Maybe it’s trademarked?

Being someone who has worked extensively with the Parachute Regiment, as a crab qualified military parachutist. I find them the most humble of bloke, keen as mustard to learn and very respectful if you have experience in what you are instructing, passed a similar course and have provided FP on MERT.

You’ll find most of the “banter” is from the ardent Cold War warriors who many have been to Ireland, and that’s it.
You don’t even need the badge to be honest, I’ve done a tour in the Bde HQ and another on an attached unit and both times found them extremely welcoming.

I’ve been lucky enough to do quite a few exchange tours, not sure I’d suit the USMC haircut anymore though......

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

To defuse any tensions- the comment was made in jest. My great uncle was a pathfinder in Mosquitos- he used to wind me up as being retarded ordinance :lolno:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces TV)
The Typhoon is the RAF’s frontline jet with pilots flying missions over Iraq and Syria. The fighter jet is now being enhanced to attack targets on the ground with Brimstone missiles.