Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Typhoon

Post by RetroSicotte »

Marte-ER for 2020, eh? Nice to have a date on it.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

The BBC are reporting the job losses and cut back in Typhoon Production. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-34796213

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The reporter might not have been given the full picture; may be his sources wanted him to say " once the RAF Tr3 Tiffies will have been delivered, here in the UK there will be zilch, nada, no nothing".

RE:
"The firm secured a deal to supply 28 Typhoon aircraft for the Kuwait Air Force in September, with deliveries from the Italian Typhoon final assembly line set to start at the end of the decade." same as the projected close around here?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Lugzy wrote:BAE axe 371 jobs on its Typhoon production line at its Lancashire areospace site , I'm guessing this move signals no new orders for the aircraft , tbh it wasn't a surprise really no orders came from the Dubai air show , the major players in the gulf are not on the best of terms with the U.K. Right now ,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-34796213
I doubt whether BAE were looking at any orders being signed at Dubai. It seems that lately they have been downplaying the chance of orders, probably in light of the UAE fiasco when they were kicked into touch, after more or less saying they had bagged the order.

I think it's more a case now of ' softly,softly catchee monkey' if anything.

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

jonas wrote: I doubt whether BAE were looking at any orders being signed at Dubai. It seems that lately they have been downplaying the chance of orders, probably in light of the UAE fiasco when they were kicked into touch, after more or less saying they had bagged the order.

I think it's more a case now of ' softly,softly catchee monkey' if anything.
Tbh the gulf states such as UAE and Saudi Arabia give out billion dollar defence contracts like a dog owner rewarding his dog with a biscuit , They know the greed of defence companies and the fact many of them are backed by the country they originate from , eg BAE = UK Lockhead Martin = US etc etc etc , so there's massive political points gained for countries such as UAE through these deals .

Problem is if you don't clamp down on what they class as terrorists/rebels/dissidents in your country after they ask you to or decide to pull out of controversial involvement in supporting/training prison staff in a country with a brutal medieval legal system , then make public statments regarding certain gulf states terrible human rights record and ask for investigations your not going to get any cheese from them , end of ....

The way countries like Saudi Arabia ,UAE show there anger towards countries who have offended them ? , simple , they will give these large billion dollar contracts to the said countries competition , until that said country apologies and falls into line again :roll:

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Without doubt you are correct regarding the Saudi Human rights. I would add that they are also sponsors of terrorism in various places. Most of the world trade center terrorists originating from said country. The way women are treat is also despicable in this day and age. Also they crippled the west for many years after they pushed up the price of oil back in the 1970's. Personally I would like to see no arms being sold in that part of the world most of which end up in the wrong hands.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Imagiine the outcry if the support contracts were withdrawn.....all due to the loss of british jobs!

Moral high ground or thousands of British jobs? :?:

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

It is perhaps the most depressing thing about this country in general when I see people going through that same route every time. They whine about the defence budget being "high", they whine about us selling to countries and then they whine about the job losses that their whining caused.

It's just a legion of ignorance, is how I've found myself considering it lately. They don't even know what they're complaining about, less understand its consequences.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I worked in Saudi Arabia for ICAO, which is the International Civil Aviation Authority, for several years as a Radar Engineer, this was back in the days when Bin Laden was fighting the Russians in Afghanistan. And life in the middle east then was good as an expat as well as the money. Because of my job I travelled to Kuwait, Iraq, Jordan, Yemen and Egypt. Ask me to go there now and the answer is no. The situation has changed in a lot of those countries over recent years and no longer can be considered a safe place to be, though Saudi Arabia itself isn't a bad place to be and the money is good.

Tiny Toy

Post by Tiny Toy »

Lugsy: sorry, how does that differ from us exactly?

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

Tiny Toy wrote:Lugsy: sorry, how does that differ from us exactly?
Apologies TT could you give me a clue to which part your referring to please ,

Tiny Toy

Post by Tiny Toy »

Lugzy wrote:
The bit about the Gulf states using defence contracts as political pressure.

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

Tiny Toy wrote:
Lugzy wrote:
The bit about the Gulf states using defence contracts as political pressure.
That wasn't the point tbh .
saying we are different or saying who we should or shouldn't sell or do business with was not the point of that post . it was pointing out how heated events which have happened on a political level in public and behind the scenes over the last year or so between the UAE ,Saudi Arabia and the U.K. Gov could of affected proposed Defence deals relating to the typhoon , it was the uk branch of the Eurofighter consortium who had brokered the deals with UAE and Saudi Arabia for the typhoon , which due to a political mess , bad feelings and frosty relations resulted in the UAE rejecting the typhoon deal and Saudi postponing it ,

I doubt it was the aircraft which failed to impress , it was ment to send a message or a warning shot at the uk gov . Saudi already operates typhoons , Kuwait as signed a deal with The Italian branch of the consortium for typhoons , so the rejection of the UAE deal in my opionon was political .

Events which I relate to are easy to find and are well reported , and as I said in my opionon because we didn't play ball we didn't get any cheese and the deal was passed onto the French :D ,

And no I'm not saying they don't have the right to choose were they want to spend there own money , or that the uk wasn't right in not playing along , It is what it is , and I guess business is business

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:PM announces there will be two extra Typhoon squadrons:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ls-it.html
Fantastic news! Total no brainer
@LandSharkUK

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Would these two new squadrons use the recently 'de-mothballed' Tranche 1 Typhoons?

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

SKB wrote:Are these two new squadrons using the recently 'de-mothballed' Tranche 1 Typhoons?
Yep, or the tranche 3's in storage or production. Depends which way you look at it.
@LandSharkUK

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Before we get a touchy feely and start piping each other off in ecstasy, it's worth pointing out that theses aren't really 2 extra squadrons, they're only the Squadrons we should have had. We already bought these jets. If we hadn't been ass raped in the last few years we'd have had these sqns anyway.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

downsizer wrote:Before we get a touchy feely and start piping each other off in ecstasy, it's worth pointing out that theses aren't really 2 extra squadrons, they're only the Squadrons we should have had. We already bought these jets. If we hadn't been ass raped in the last few years we'd have had these sqns anyway.
Absolutely true. Not just for Typhoon... in other areas as well, this SDSR is merely making U-turns on demented 2010 decisions.

But hey. We can afford a little smile, i think. Compared to most Strategic Defence Reviews and to what could have been this year as well until the 2% of GDP was confirmed, it is good. It could have been a massacre.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Gabriele wrote: We can afford a little smile.
I think we can, particularly on this issue, the reversal of the worse decision from the last review (IMO)
@LandSharkUK

CR4ZYHOR5E
United Kingdom

Post by CR4ZYHOR5E »

Wonder where the two new squadrons will be based? Don't suppose there's any chance of getting Leuchars back from the Army, so it's Lossi or Conningsby.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

CR4ZYHOR5E
United Kingdom

Post by CR4ZYHOR5E »

Guess it would cost too much to run a large base like Mildenhall (when the USAF leave) for 2 Tiffie squadrons...

...Leeming, possibly. Who are there at the moment, 100 Sqn with a dozen Hawks?

Does seem a shame that Leuchars isn't available.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

Cameron responded to questions from Angus Robertson from the SNP with "Scotland is getting more Typhoons, more maritime patrol aircraft and..."

So I'd assume at least one of the two Typhoon squadron is going to be at Leuchars