Airbus A400M Atlas (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
Smokey
Cyprus

Re: Airbus A400M Atlas (RAF)

Post by Smokey »

Clive F
United Kingdom

Post by Clive F »

"And in addition it acts as a frontline-tanker for other aircraft" ?

indeid

Post by indeid »

Clive F wrote:"And in addition it acts as a frontline-tanker for other aircraft" ?
After which is added 'according to the Airbus site'. No doubt that site also claims there are no issues at all with the aircraft.......

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Clive F wrote:"And in addition it acts as a frontline-tanker for other aircraft" ?
In theory, yes.
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Tonkatsu298) 17th July 2018
2018 Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford. RAF A400M Demo!

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Qinetiq) 4 Dec 2018
See what happened when an RAF Atlas delivered the heaviest overall load ever air-dropped by a UK aircraft.

*A400M

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Spanish Air Force first AAR with A-400 ( in Spanish )

https://www.defensa.com/espana/ejercito ... hter-a400m

As much as I managed to understand, Spanish aircrafts are able to do AAR since second aircraft they recieved. They now have about 6 in service.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... patch.html

The Airbus A400M new generation airlifter has completed the certification flight test for the simultaneous dispatch of 80 (40+40) equipped paratroopers from both side doors on a single pass. Tests were performed in coordination with the French Armament General Directorate (DGA) together with French and Belgian Armed Forces.

The flight test campaign, performed in the Ger Azet drop zone in southern France during daylight, also successfully completed the certification flight test to support the deployment of 58 paratroopers from one side door, the A400M’s maximum dispatch capacity from a single door.

These major milestones conclude the certification test phase of the paratroop dispatch capability of the A400M, pending on the completion of certification activities in the first half of 2020, and paving the way for the simultaneous deployment of up to 116 paratroopers and the certification for mixed operations.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

Interestingly it doesn't say what mods they did to pass this trial.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

topman wrote:Interestingly it doesn't say what mods they did to pass this trial.
There was work being done on the doors and sponson, not sure if there was aircraft software changes as well.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

UK A400M tactical parachuting capability delayed
A target date for the clearance of the United Kingdom to use its Airbus A400M Atlas airlifters for tactical parachuting of airborne forces has yet to be set, a UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) spokesman confirmed to Jane’s on 9 October.

This includes the clearance of the launching of paratroopers simultaneously out of the side doors of a low flying A400M – a technique known as ‘sim sticks’ – which is considered key to the successful rapid delivery of paratroopers from low altitude to combat situations. UK paratroopers use the unique, IrwinGQ, Low Level Parachute (LLP), which requires a bespoke UK trials and clearance process if it is to be used safely from the A400M.
Read More: https://www.janes.com/article/91809/uk- ... Kg.twitter

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Looks like Flybe is a gonner May have implications for is engineering arm

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

SW1 wrote:certification for mixed operations.
I wonder if there is a new drop platform in the works as a Pinzgauer is the biggest vehicle that the old one (on Hercs) can take
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

How much of a company of paras would be left out, if you drop 116 in one go?
- no kit in that drop, I guess
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:How much of a company of paras would be left out, if you drop 116 in one go?
I feel that you are making a point, but I don’t think I get it.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Herc was revolutionary as you could use two rows to jump, and thus got less dispersion on landing. A Herc was nowhere near a 'unit drop' i.e. a company in one go, though
- 116 is still short
- I was wondering by how much. And the evening out (the residual number jumping) perhaps being lumped together with dropping some heavier kit... so you don't arrive just in your boots. Not that I have heard anything e.g. about a platform having been approved for a vehicle drop (exists on the Hercs).

That's all, practicalities (assuming a company is the relevant unit size for attempting to achieve cohesion with, once everyone is on the ground).

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

116 maybe short of a full company but not by much if at all. If an Infantry Platoon is 27 men and with three Platoons per Company that's 81 plus the Company Command you are looking at around 100 personnel. All those jumping from the Atlas in the video seemed to have full combat loads etc., so an Infantry Battalion with three Rifle Companies, one support Company and its Headquarters and a few attached personnel should fit into five Atlas at the most for a combat drop.

I cannot see many users wanting to drop anything larger than a Battalion, and I am not sure which countries within NATO have air droppable vehicles, we had a Few Landrover cradles in the past but the last video I saw of a test out the back of a C-130 didn't end well for the vehicle. Then again does the UK even have a requirement for such a capability?

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

116 was the contractual requirement on the aircraft for paratroopers. Not sure even c17 drops that many paratroopers.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Lord Jim wrote: Then again does the UK even have a requirement for such a capability?
Even w/o any fighting (AFVs are more... and heavier) vehicles:radio cars for the HQ , ambulance, resupply (even if mortars are man-portable, a meaningful "fire ration" for repeated use is not)
- the drop platform for Hercs could take a Pinzgauer

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

SW1 wrote:Not sure even c17 drops that many paratroopers.
Correct; and there's a reason for that lower number. It is designed to airdrop 102 paratroopers and their equipment
- if a C17 is used you will probably be traveling far... and don't want to arrive "just in your boots".

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
SW1 wrote:Not sure even c17 drops that many paratroopers.
Correct; and there's a reason for that lower number. It is designed to airdrop 102 paratroopers and their equipment
- if a C17 is used you will probably be traveling far... and don't want to arrive "just in your boots".
Not sure of the point acc if I’m honest, a400m now cleared for 16 ton single load and 23 ton multi load drop not at those weights all on same flight as paratroopers mind but then you use more than 1 aircraft for such a mission anyway.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

SW1 wrote:a400m now cleared for 16 ton single load and 23 ton multi load drop
so a generic drop platform works fine
... but have not seen any news on a vehicle cradle (on Herc done for ages)
http://www.airforce.mil.nz/nr/rdonlyres ... d9c3dd4c52
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dNnz9x-OLeo/maxr ... 0_0027.jpg

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:How much of a company of paras would be left out, if you drop 116 in one go?
Why not just adjust the size of a company?