BAE Taranis (UCAV Demonstrator) (BAE Systems/MOD)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
jonas
United Kingdom

Re: Taranis & Future Combat Air System

Post by jonas »

Taranis to complement manned aircraft, not replace them :-

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... place-them

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

bobp wrote:Bae and MOD considering further Taranis test flights.
http://www.defensenews.com/story/defens ... /85653354/
Good read, I like the approach, a promising start.

reminds me of this image;

A mixture of stealthy unmanned platforms to penetrate defended airspace to collect data and strike a few targets, with manned platforms acting on the data collected from stand off distances to strike many targets.

Also Taranis is again being pushed for more flight trials.
@LandSharkUK

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Is it known what type of radar the Taranis uses

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

"Stealth is totally overrated", they say when they have to play down the F-35.

And then this happens. :lol:
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

Taranis Flight Test Details Described
Nearly three years after it first flew, key aspects of the all-British Taranis UCAV (unmanned combat aerial vehicle) demonstrator remain classified. But further insights into the flight test program were revealed recently by three senior participants from BAE Systems, which is leading the effort. They spoke to the Royal Aeronautical Society’s Flight Test Group in London.

“Taranis has pushed the boundaries of technology, especially in autonomy, flight control, low observability and secure communications,” said Paddy Bourne, chief engineer. Although BAE Systems (Outdoor Exhibit 11) gained some prior experience in tail-less flight from the Corax, Kestrel and Raven small-scale experimental vehicles, the flight test progression of the Taranis campaign had to be very carefully designed on a safety-first basis, he explained.
More here: https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... -described

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

From Janes.

Taranis and Neuron to be superceded...

by two capability demonstrators, one for the UK and one for France in the mid 2020's - BAE Systems and Dassault, collaboratively.

http://www.janes.com/article/62268/farn ... mme-update
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

I don't know if it's going to be much of an issue but at least we have Woomera so we can test in relative secrecy, I believe France does not have anything similar so I hope both aircraft will be tested there.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

Oui a la Sepecat Jaguar et Concorde.

We all know what the French do if they don't get their way, la toys out Le pram, bugger off and do their own thing.

However hopefully not this time :twisted:

seaspear
Australia

Re: BAE Taranis (UCAV Demonstrator) (BAE Systems/MOD)

Post by seaspear »

An interesting article suggesting that B.A.E has incorporated technology from Taranis into the Australian division of B.A.E Loyal Wingman " program ,does this suggest that B.A.E sees a future version of this aircraft flying with the R.A.F
https://aviationweek.com/shows-events/a ... 8add3503b7

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

seaspear wrote:does this suggest that B.A.E sees a future version of this aircraft flying with the R.A.F
Well, they are a global company (though this kind of technology will be closely controlled).

(Friendly) customers will still be many, just look at Elon Musk lecturing in a USAF symposium about the instant (autonomous) manoeuvres of the wingman/ drone, while the overall mission and changing priorities during it remain man-controlled.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Licenced production by BAe in the UK would help retain more of their workforce and Typhoon production slows and we wait to see where Tempest leaves us.

cky7
United Kingdom

Post by cky7 »

Cynic in me says they’re realising the project might actually come to fruition with the Ozzies running jt so are placing their bets and tech developed here there where Australia will real the benefit. Fair enough, the project looks good and I can see it being exactly the first step in all these systems of systems sixth gen fighters are gonna need. Guess having a coherent, well planned and funded defence industrial strategy from govt down has its advantages. When I look 20 years down the road it looks increasingly likely they’ll have a better equipped and suited to their needs and even more capable armed forces than us. Only advantages I can see us having are 7 SSNs, but this is blunted by nearly double top end SSKs, the carriers - which the current likely air group won t actually offer anything better in real terms cos we’ll have nothing more on them than they’ve got on their multi purpose assault carriers. CASD is the one indisputable advantage we got but I worry if that will ever really come to fruition at times. When you look at all the areas where they’ll have more numbers and capability (even their type 26s will be more ships, all of more capable specs). Makes you sad, a country half our size will be someone were a US general I’d be possibly more interested in having on side...

Still exciting project, I sort of see the future fighter system having two or three UCAV types, one like thus that will eventually even do fighty stuff and be armed. One more like the Taranis flying wing as a stealthy sensor to sneak ahead and see what’s where etc. And perhaps a third much cheaper type more akin to a group of increasing in range MALD type weapons to act as decoys and cause all sorts of EW/ECM carnage....

Fair play to Australia running with the ball and doing not just talking :)

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Im curious to understand how B.A.E in Australia is able to or allowed to incorporate technology from a U.K project ,I understand that in the U.S there is a firewall that stops non U.S citizens at B.A.E receiving specific information that is classified ,is there any copyright protection for Taranis that has likely been subsidised by the U.K government in its development from being used elsewhere overseas .
Im not suggesting that B.A.E did anything wrong here and expect this was with government approval for export of technology as has been suggested with the Tempest program whereas the Tempest program was certainly more public in intent in seeking partnerships , this seems to be different

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

seaspear wrote: whereas the Tempest program was certainly more public in intent in seeking partnerships , this seems to be different
The European competing prgrm was also very public about its intent for the unmanned wingman... may be this is/ will be Tempest's 'stealthy' wingman?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)