Foxhound Protected Vehicle

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Foxhound Protected Vehicle

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I thought we were talking about MOUT, not trucks.

Boring utube, but at 4:45 you can see that an 8x8 can do pretty much what a tracked AFV can do.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

We might finally get to see the patrol version in use - but in Denmark!

Køretøj: OCELOT - Force Protection Europe Limited (General Dynamics Force Protection Europe), England.

Køretøj: EAGLE V- General Dynamics European Land System Mowag GmbH., Schweiz.
The two (remaining?) candidates for such use.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Pongoglo
United Kingdom

Post by Pongoglo »

Some good pics of 1 Welsh Guards BG on Wessex Storm. For me the real sicken-er of 2020 (Refined) is the loss of the Light Mech BG's, particularly as the units (1 WG, 3 Scots, 1 R Irish etc) had put so much effort into making it work and were evidently so enthused :-( which for Tommy (or Mick or Taff..) these days is very very rare; not of course putting in the effort - but being enthused !

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... n-12577637
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

On the other hand, 1st and 34th Squadrons RAF Regiment are taking them in (as well as Panther and RWIMIK) to form, for the first time in years, permanent lightly armored formations.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

1 and 34 Sqn. There is no 1st and 34th Sqn.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

they are good platforms for force protection and Depth protection of Key points. Internal security yes. Mechenised warfare i suspect not.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

marktigger wrote:Mechenised warfare i suspect not.
Agreed. Converting some to the patrol version long overdue.
- surely we don't need 400 such

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

given how things in Northern Ireland are panning out can they be fitted with riot screens like the old flying pigs or simplicity saxons?

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

marktigger wrote:given how things in Northern Ireland are panning out can they be fitted with riot screens like the old flying pigs or simplicity saxons?
They are a big beast, for what they carry.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

so was saxon and tavern. can't see mastiff working in belfast

mickey
United Kingdom

Post by mickey »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:I thought we were talking about MOUT, not trucks.

Boring utube, but at 4:45 you can see that an 8x8 can do pretty much what a tracked AFV can do.
if this is what russia has i think we will be in a bit of a pickle

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

i thought there was issues with one of the russian APC about mounting and dismounting as the doors aren't user friendly?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

marktigger wrote:i thought there was issues with one of the russian APC about mounting and dismounting as the doors aren't user friendly?
With many of them, but that has by now been improved upon.

The issues with wheeled vehicles (they were planning to have lots of wheeled, rapidly deployable bdes... until Mr. Putin decided to make Europe his playground and the army went back to (renewing) their heavy formations):
- the Italian Centauro tank-killer was trialled with 3 different gun sizes
- there was a feeler put out to procure 500+ AMOS systems
etc.

We might see this again, if a post-Putin regime decides that their security threats are in the South and East, not West.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

yes they got the panther as well

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

marktigger wrote:yes they got the panther as well
Most of the 700 order sitting somewhere in Italy?
- not because of the embargo
- some issue (cannot remember the details; Gabby might?) arose earlier

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

I haven't followed that much. Russia did procure a number of Lince (Panther for you), and has recently sent loads into Syria. They assembled 358 in Russia, but then decided to purchase their own Tigr vehicle instead.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Shamelessly pinched from Snafu but would this not be a great idea for the Foxhound platform ? South Korean Sandcat armoured 4x4 with Spike launcher on rear flatbed.

http://www.snafu-solomon.com/2017/03/ko ... qus_thread

FuNsTeR

Post by FuNsTeR »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
marktigger wrote:i thought there was issues with one of the russian APC about mounting and dismounting as the doors aren't user friendly?
With many of them, but that has by now been improved upon.

The issues with wheeled vehicles (they were planning to have lots of wheeled, rapidly deployable bdes... until Mr. Putin decided to make Europe his playground and the army went back to (renewing) their heavy formations):
- the Italian Centauro tank-killer was trialled with 3 different gun sizes
- there was a feeler put out to procure 500+ AMOS systems
etc.

We might see this again, if a post-Putin regime decides that their security threats are in the South and East, not West.
that new APC of theirs the bumerang looks pretty decent, being honest i like the look of Finland's Patria AMV

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

FuNsTeR wrote:that new APC of theirs the bumerang looks pretty decent, being honest i like the look of Finland's Patria AMV
Well, check out the new one from the UAE; it is a "carbon copy" of AMV
- I wonder if it is a licensed copy? As Patria was pitching for those 600+ that were the "initial" order

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Dahedd wrote:Shamelessly pinched from Snafu but would this not be a great idea for the Foxhound platform ? South Korean Sandcat armoured 4x4 with Spike launcher on rear flatbed.
It would make more sense on all of the Warthogs we're getting rid of.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Timmymagic wrote:
Dahedd wrote:Shamelessly pinched from Snafu but would this not be a great idea for the Foxhound platform ? South Korean Sandcat armoured 4x4 with Spike launcher on rear flatbed.
It would make more sense on all of the Warthogs we're getting rid of.
The original Warthogs even have a flat bed version to carry replenish missiles (and the anti-arty radars, if we have any left), so an ideal go-anywhere counter-battery unit; the few AS90s left have of course been designed to keep up with armoured formations, so therefore there less than impressive range is no big deal.
- but as soon as they are stationary, even moving around within a firing box, then they become targets for OpFor's counter-battery actions, and those actions, with just tube artillery, have almost double the reach compared to AS90s'

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

wouldn't those vehicles be useful for carrying teams like Anti tank missile teams, ew platform vehicles etv

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

And artillery is so lean manned that they will also need some force protection