L1A1 - Any old timers to regale us?

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
studodman
United Kingdom

Re: L1A1 - Any old timers to regale us?

Post by studodman »

I trained on this old 'gal when I joined the Royal Marines in '86, and the Bren come to think of it. We soon swapped over to the woeful SA80 (what went wrong with our procurement system?). The FAL is a fine weapon, powerful, strong, reliable, all of the knobs in the right place, you can use it as a club. I am now working in maritime security, the L1A1 is one of the weapons we use. I hadn't touched this rife for 24 years but as soon as I picked it up the training kicked back in. This is a great rifle, but the real story is that British military training is superb!

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

I watched a senior officer who hadn't handled an SLR for 20 years pick one up as per the Book yes the training is everlasting but add in a weapon that is simple and logical to use.

james k
United Kingdom

Post by james k »

At the start of my career in the Army I used it. Reliable, rugged, easier to clean than the L85A1/2, I liked it. Mostly I just had the iron sights but a few times I used SUIT, which I didn't like or the old night sight which I liked even less.

In our section only the Carl Gustav gunner carried an SMG and the only other weapon was one GPMG.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

IWS was a pain in ass but so were most of that generation of night sight

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »