UK Defence Forum

News, History, Discussions and Debates on UK Defence.

Warrior Armoured Vehicle Variants (British Army)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy

Re: Warrior Armoured Vehicle Variants (British Army)

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 10 Sep 2019, 21:59

mr.fred wrote:something like a 50% increase in unit cost

Started with 600 for a bn, what was it for 380?

This 280 will be (?) 1.5 bn... or be cut :?:
- MTBF will tell

Gabriele

Postby Gabriele » 11 Sep 2019, 08:36

Need 245 for 4 battalions, and turrets/guns have already been ordered. 250 is unworkable, and 280 also. You'd be cutting all REME vehicles, pretty much. Which are not used just in armoured infantry units, but REME battalions and tank regiments.

The whole thing would fall apart.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Lord Jim

Postby Lord Jim » 11 Sep 2019, 09:51

280 Will equip all four Armoured Infantry Battalions replacing all variants of the Warrior within them plus allow BATUS to be re equipped with a dozen or so spare. As to what will replace the FV432 variants within the Battalions my bet is on variants of the Boxer with no replacement for the Scimitars as the Recce Sections are being deleted with the arrival of Ajax. So this will include the FV512 and FV513 vehicles used by the REME LADs

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 11 Sep 2019, 15:48

ArmChairCivvy wrote:one FV524 Warrior artillery observation post vehicle

This one is interesting as upgrade trials (5? yrs back) showed that doing the Joint Fires job properly, each team would need two Warriors.
- it was reported in the Gunner, to quite some detail

Gabriele

Postby Gabriele » 12 Sep 2019, 14:59

What i read was the opposite: the 2-vehicle approach was abandoned because it led to much increased radio traffic between the vehicles, with obvious correlate issues. The prototype fit eventually trialed was for a single vehicle solution. What's not clear is whether that kit is funded, since it is not technically part of WCSP proper.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 12 Sep 2019, 17:21

Gabriele wrote:the 2-vehicle approach was abandoned because it led to much increased radio traffic between the vehicles, with obvious correlate issues. The prototype fit eventually trialed was for a single vehicle solution.

- yes, the approach was abandoned; hence I was surprised to see that designation reappear (in one vehicle instance, for the trials)

I can understand that they want to go for a solution that is on the same hull as the rest of the formation... but can it do "Joint Fires"?
- or will there be something in those (next level) formations that these few bns will be attached to that can?

Going a bit further back in time:
ArmChairCivvy » 17 Sep 2015, 17:01
I would not be surprised if there were to be three different levels of fit-out (taking the example from some other armies):
- artillery forward observation [this is probably what we will get?]
- battery command vehicle [this version of Warrior since long gone... and would not be up to it, anyway]
- a higher level command vehicle [that can also do joint fires -air/ ground coordination that is - and likely to be...] the Joint Fires Control (23 vehicles) version within the Ajax family. The question immediately arises whether such a number is enough
A. for two AI and two Strike Bdes
B. is the assumption that an AI bde will not be fielded without a Strike bde, ever? Would explain the deletion of lower level recce assets from the former,
and C. what about Joint Fires when other formations are fielded... will there be enough vehicles to be embedded in RA rgmnts? Whole fleet mgt, of course :) , will be the answer

Return to “British Army”