UK Defence Forum

News, History, Discussions and Debates on UK Defence.

Foxhound Protected Vehicle

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
bobp

Re: Foxhound Protected Vehicle

Postby bobp » 30 Jul 2020, 16:55

Ron5 wrote:It's a little buzy thing.

Thanks Ron

RunningStrong

Postby RunningStrong » 30 Jul 2020, 22:09

Ron5 wrote:Too pricey for one thing and more than a little under powered for another. Not even their own manufacturer believed in them enough to put them forward :(

:lol:

Cracking bit of armchair engineering there! Never heard the FH described as underpowered by a user. Is your experience in spreadsheets?

Ron5

Postby Ron5 » 31 Jul 2020, 16:05

RunningStrong wrote:
Ron5 wrote:Too pricey for one thing and more than a little under powered for another. Not even their own manufacturer believed in them enough to put them forward :(

Cracking bit of armchair engineering there! Never heard the FH described as underpowered by a user. Is your experience in spreadsheets?

Haven't you? I've read quite a few comments on army blogs saying exactly that plus attributing poor reliability to the same factor.

PS my experience between the sheets is none of your business :D

RunningStrong

Postby RunningStrong » 01 Aug 2020, 00:37

Ron5 wrote:
RunningStrong wrote:

Haven't you? I've read quite a few comments on army blogs saying exactly that plus attributing poor reliability to the same factor.

PS my experience between the sheets is none of your business :D

I haven't. I've heard musings that it's a complicated vehicle and that it was maintenance intensive in 'Stan. But let's not forget it's potentially 50C plus and dusty. Nothing is low maintenance in that environment.

Tempest414

Postby Tempest414 » 01 Aug 2020, 09:48

RunningStrong wrote: Nothing is low maintenance in that environment.

Nothing except a Toyota Hilux lol

Ron5

Postby Ron5 » 01 Aug 2020, 17:26

All I have is second hand gossip from army blogs and a couple anonymous quotes from the aussie program where Foxhound was rejected in favor of Hawkai. Some aussies were not really impressed with Foxhound but perhaps some NIH crept in.

So jack shit really.

Foxhound I think is a 7.5 ton vehicle and TopGear (???) says its Austrian engine is 3.2l inline 6, 215bhp and 368 lb ft torque.

I checked my local ads and good ole Jim Click my local Ford dealer has a Ford F350 truck for sale (common truck around these parts) that has a gross unladen weight of about 5.5tons (not sure if that is directly comparable to the Foxhound) with a Yankee 6.7l turbo diesel V8 engine, 475bhp, and 1050lb ft torque.

Don't ask about pricing, suffice it to say good ole J will fill your street with F350's for the price of one Foxhound.

God knows what a JLTV has powerwise, I think it's classified. I'd guess double the Foxhound.

Andy-M

Postby Andy-M » 01 Aug 2020, 18:37

Hawkei has exactly the same engine and can't weigh that much less. But I've read about how the people who use Foxhound don't like it that much.

Ron5

Postby Ron5 » 02 Aug 2020, 15:14

Andy-M wrote:Hawkei has exactly the same engine and can't weigh that much less. But I've read about how the people who use Foxhound don't like it that much.

I thought Hawkei had a tad more power, caught a glance when I was trawling for Foxhound info.

Andy-M

Postby Andy-M » 02 Aug 2020, 16:37

Ron5 wrote:
Andy-M wrote:Hawkei has exactly the same engine and can't weigh that much less. But I've read about how the people who use Foxhound don't like it that much.

I thought Hawkei had a tad more power, caught a glance when I was trawling for Foxhound info.

The brochure says 200kw, I have no idea how much that is in good old fashioned horsepower.

whitelancer

Postby whitelancer » 02 Aug 2020, 17:06

Andy-M wrote:The brochure says 200kw, I have no idea how much that is in good old fashioned horsepower.

200 kw = 268 hp

SD67

Postby SD67 » 06 Aug 2020, 13:59

Based on public figures Hawkei has around 30% higher power to weight ratio than Foxhound

Andy-M

Postby Andy-M » 06 Aug 2020, 16:37

Weird how they went for completely the wrong spec when a more powerful engine was right there, is there any way they can either uprate the current ones, or swap in more powerful engines that are exactly the same make and type? More to the point, I suppose, would they think it's worth it?

Return to “British Army”