Future Littoral Strike Ships

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Tempest414
France

Re: Future Littoral Strike Ships

Post by Tempest414 »

maybe if there is a 100 million pound budget per ship we could ask the South Korean's to build us two 165 meter Makassar LPD's the current ships are 122 meters by 22 meters can take 2 helicopters 40 vehicles and 220 troops at a cost of 45 million dollars or 35 million pounds maybe we could both ships for a 100 million

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Courtesy of Think Defence:

Only had a glance at the brochure, however it seems to be marketing not just a ship, but an entire system of leased ownership, upkeep and a privately managed crew.

Unsurprisingly they don't use the term PPI, but if it walks like a duck... etc

Jensy

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Surely you mean PFI as I wasn't aware the MoD took out Payment Protection Insurance on naval projects. :D

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Lord Jim wrote:Surely you mean PFI as I wasn't aware the MoD took out Payment Protection Insurance on naval projects. :D
:oops:

Yes indeed.

Though perhaps we can claim back some money against dodgy procurement decisions.... "Have you bought a Nuclear submarine in the last ten years? You might be owed..."

Jensy

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

In 2016 I created this mock up. It looks strikingly similar to Prevail Partners littoral strike ship!

I'm excited to see how this develops, it could have been a good fit for the Navy back in 2016, and the same is true today.

Is the Prevail Partners ship a done deal, or it is just a proposal?
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

shark bait wrote: In 2016 I created this mock up. It looks strikingly similar
Was there any particular reason for removing the mini-superstructure from above the bow (as it provides the secondary access from the decks for onward distribution by other means than "driving out"?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

easier to photoshop... :lol:
@LandSharkUK

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

I still think a 165 meter Makassar class fitted out to carry 2 Merlin , 2 Wildcat, 2 LCVP , 4 raiding craft plus 300 troops would be a great fit for LSS. I also think they would fit better into a Amphib Group plus I think we could get them for about 70 million pounds each if built in South Korea

https://cdn.dvidshub.net/media/thumbs/p ... 0w_q95.jpg

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I would see these vessels carrying no more that 200 troops and more likely around 150, or a reinforced company.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

An alternative MRV concept from Prevail Partners

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Poiuytrewq wrote:concept from Prevail Partners
Looks like they have partnered a Searam unit with a gun unit, sharing the same radar?
- does that combo exist, or some poetic license in there?
- or bad eyesight on my part?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Poiuytrewq wrote:An alternative MRV concept from Prevail Partners

Look's like British Karel Doorman. Coudn't the put that smokestack somewhere else?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:- does that combo exist, or some poetic license in there?
It’s all poetic licence.

It’s marketing. Gavin announced LSS was a thing three weeks ago. You can put together a quick and inexpensive marketing campaign in that time, and that’s what you are seeing.

They possibly hope to leverage some consultancy work off the back of it.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

RichardIC wrote:It’s marketing. Gavin announced LSS was a thing three weeks ago. You can put together a quick and inexpensive marketing campaign in that time, and that’s what you are seeing.
This concept video was posted on You Tube on 7th June 2018.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Poiuytrewq wrote:on
I'm happy to stand corrected.

Viewed 58 times since then so far, which may (or may not) mean it was posted but not published. They've certainly only registered their website in 2019 and it seems to have gone live last week.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Prevail was first incorporated as a private registered company on January 22 2018 with declared capital of £1,000.

There was then a flurry of activity with Companies House registering a number of changes relating to control of the company on Thursday and Friday of last week.

It feels like a fledgling consultancy to me, which is perfectly legit.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Poiuytrewq wrote:An alternative MRV concept from Prevail Partners

For me I think this is a better lay out than a modified Point class

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Lord Jim wrote:I would see these vessels carrying no more that 200 troops and more likely around 150, or a reinforced company.
This maybe right on a day to day bases but the ships should have the ability to carry and support a reinforced company plus 3 or so units of SF and helicopter crews which would need space for around 300 plus a ships crew of 120 to 150

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Tempest414 wrote:For me I think this is a better lay out than a modified Point class
Each configuration has benefits and negatives. This concept is extremely basic and has attempted to solve none of the problems associated with a bridge forward design, such as funnel and CIWS location for example. The small craft misson bay looks way too far forward to me, dangerous even (look at how Ocean had to be modified). Of course all of these issues could be solved.

I think this concept is just part of the thought process more than a nailed down proposal. Good for debate. Ideally I would like to see the LSS programme examine both the adapted Point configuration and the bridge forward Bay style design. As both would be converted for commercial donor hulls, the cost between either would probably be negligible.

RN/RM could then decide which configuration is preferable.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Poiuytrewq wrote:Each configuration has benefits and negatives. This concept is extremely basic and has attempted to solve none of the problems associated with a bridge forward design, such as funnel and CIWS location for example. The small craft misson bay looks way too far forward to me, dangerous even (look at how Ocean had to be modified). Of course all of these issues could be solved.
First off yes this is a simple drawing or video but as I said for me this is a better lay out. For what we would like this ship to do I think the funnel is ok as seen on RFA Argus it still allows for 2 Chinook's or 3 Merlin's or 4 Wildcats to be operated from the flight deck when the ship is under way. I would even go for fitting a 40 ton crane between the hangar and the funnel I also like the UAV deck this could allow kit like scan-eagle to be operated without affecting helicopter ops. as for boat ops it is clear that more boat bays could be fitted under the flight deck as in the Point mod

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

RichardIC wrote:
ArmChairCivvy wrote:- does that combo exist, or some poetic license in there?
It’s all poetic licence.

It’s marketing. Gavin announced LSS was a thing three weeks ago. You can put together a quick and inexpensive marketing campaign in that time, and that’s what you are seeing.

They possibly hope to leverage some consultancy work off the back of it.
You've obviously done some respectable amount of digging in the Companies House etc, and that is what I like: factfulness in debate

However, it is worth reading the exam question, before darting off. You obviously did not read the brochure, did you?

If I may direct you to p.14, which lists the 4 partners. Some respectable names, would you not agree?
The least known of them lists as a reference running a £ 1bn pa prgrm for the MoD between 2015-2018 (what is not said is whether 2018 is the end point, or just that the future cannot be used (credibly :D ) as a reference)

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:However, it is worth reading the exam question, before darting off. You obviously did not read the brochure, did you?

If I may direct you to p.14, which lists the 4 partners. Some respectable names, would you not agree?
The least known of them lists as a reference running a £ 1bn pa prgrm for the MoD between 2015-2018 (what is not said is whether 2018 is the end point, or just that the future cannot be used (credibly ) as a reference)
Yep, it's all good marketing. And I did read the brochure. I'm not knocking it and as I said previously I'm not implying it's anything other than legit.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Tempest414 wrote:I also like the UAV deck this could allow kit like scan-eagle to be operated without affecting helicopter ops
I too liked that inclusion, a bit like the old forts from the 70's!

I felt that was something missing from the T26 design, with big bay for drones and suff, but no means of operating them without constraining helicopters operations.
@LandSharkUK

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://puzzlepalace1664.wordpress.com/ ... ndo-force/

Modern day warfare’s increasing demand on SOF has seen other countries enhance their capacity. Therefore the gap between conventional and special operations is growing. With limited capacity of UKSF to meet this demand, the Royal Marines offer the best option for Defence to operate in this growing gap and maintain military strategic influence. Royal Marines currently offer NATO SOF Level 2 standard. Furthermore, they offer a unique ability to use maritime capability to project and sustain globally, along with their elite reputation, offers the aptitude to move into the SOF space and reclaim their eroding Commando status. In turn this will offer Her Majesty’s Government (HMG) greater opportunities to accomplish its strategic objectives. The time is now for Defence to restructure how the UK contributes to SOF operations, or risk losing its military status.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

"A scenario may see a Commando Task Group (CTG) deploy to regions deemed as strategically important, to a post-BREXIT global Britain[21], on board LSDA and/or Type 31e or 26 RN frigates; depending on Fleet deployments and future Multi Role Support Ship procurement."
Is this supposed to be the LSS? If so, Multi Role Suppot Ship seems like a much more appropriate designation for a converted point type vessel.