Bay Class Landing Ship Dock (LSD (A)) (RFA)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
SKB
England

Bay Class Landing Ship Dock (LSD (A)) (RFA)

Post by SKB »

Introduction
The Bay class is a ship class of four dock landing ships built for the British Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) during the 2000s. Two ships each were ordered from Swan Hunter and BAE Systems Naval Ships. Construction work started in 2002, but saw major delays and cost overruns, particularly at Swan Hunter's shipyard. In mid-2006, Swan Hunter was stripped of work, and the incomplete second ship was towed to BAE's shipyard for completion. All four ships, Largs Bay, Lyme Bay, Mounts Bay, and Cardigan Bay had entered service by 2007.

Since entering service, the Bay-class ships have been used for amphibious operations, training of the Iraqi Navy in the Persian Gulf, counter-drug deployments in the Caribbean, and relief operations following the 2010 Haiti earthquake. In 2010, Largs Bay was removed from service as part of the Strategic Defence and Security Review. She was sold to the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) in 2011, who now operate her as HMAS Choules.

Design
The Bay class was designed as a replacement for the five Round Table-class (named after Round Table Knights) logistics ships operated by the RFA. Planning for the class began in the 1990's, after the original intent to modernise and extend the service life of three Round Tables ran into problems with extensive corrosion and problems implementing new safety standards. After the first Round Table returned to service two years late and after excessive cost, the Ministry of Defence began to investigate the acquisition of new ships.

The Bay class is certified as a class 1 passenger ship, with design similarities to roll-on-roll-off-passenger-ship/ferries (RO-PAX). The design is based on the Royal Schelde Enforcer, a joint project between the Dutch and Spanish resulting in the Rotterdam-class and Galicia-class amphibious warfare ships. The main difference is that the British ships have no helicopter hangar. The ships were originally designated Auxiliary Landing Ship Logistics (ALSL), but this was changed in 2002 to Landing Ship Dock (Auxiliary) (LSD(A)), better reflecting their operational role and bringing them into line with the NATO designation for the Royal Schelde vessels.

The Bay-class ships have a full load displacement of 16,160 tonnes (15,900 long tons). They are 579.4 feet (176.6 m) long, with a beam of 86.6 feet (26.4 m), and a draught of 19 feet (5.8 m). Propulsion power is provided by two Wärtsilä 8L26 generators, providing 6,000 horsepower (4.5 MW), and two Wärtsilä 12V26 generators, providing 9,000 horsepower (6.7 MW). These are used to drive two steerable azimuth thrusters, with a bow thruster supplementing. Maximum speed is 18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph), and the Bay-class ships can achieve a range of 8,000 nautical miles (15,000 km; 9,200 mi) at 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph). The ships were designed to receive an armament of two Phalanx CIWS, two manual 30 mm DS30B cannon and various small arms, but the exact weapons fit varies within the class.

In British service, the everyday ship's company consisted of 60 to 70 RFA personnel, with this number supplemented by members of the British Armed Forces when the ships are deployed operationally. For example, Largs Bay‍ '​s deployment in response to the 2010 Haiti earthquake saw her sail with a core crew of 70, plus 40 Royal Logistic Corps personnel for boat- and cargo-handling duties, and 17 from the Royal Navy and Royal Marines for security and related tasks. Australia operates Choules (ex- Largs Bay) with a permanent crew of 158 including a Ship's Army Department of 22.

As a sea-lift ship, each Bay-class vessel is capable of carrying up to 24 Challenger 2 tanks or 150 light trucks in 1,150 linear metres of space, with stern- and side-ramp access to the vehicle deck. The cargo capacity is equivalent of 200 tons of ammunition, or 24 twenty-foot equivalent unit containers. During normal conditions, a Bay-class ship can carry 356 soldiers, but this can be almost doubled to 700 in overload conditions. The flight deck is capable of handling helicopters up to the size of a Chinook, as well as Merlin helicopters and Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft. There is no hangar for long-term embarkation of a helicopter, although a temporary shelter can be fitted to house a Merlin or smaller helicopter. The well dock can carry one LCU Mark 10 or two LCVPs, and two Mexeflotes can be suspended from the ship's flanks. Two 30-ton cranes are fitted between the superstructure and the flight deck. Internal passages are wide enough to allow two fully kitted marines to pass each other.

1. RFA Largs Bay (L3006) In Service 2006. (Later sold to Australia in 2011 as HMAS Choules (L100))
2. RFA Lyme Bay (L3007) In Service 2007.
3. RFA Mounts Bay (L3008) In Service 2006.
4. RFA Cardigan Bay (L3009) In Service 2006.

Type: Landing ship dock (auxiliary)
Displacement: 16,160 tonnes (15,900 long tons; 17,810 short tons)
Length: 579.4 ft (176.6 m)
Beam: 86.6 ft (26.4 m)
Draught: 19 ft (5.8 m)
Propulsion: 2 × Wärtsilä 8L26 generators, 6,000 hp (4.5 MW)
2 × Wärtsilä 12V26 generators, 9,000 hp (6.7 MW)
2 × azimuthing thusters
1 × bow thruster
Speed: 18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph)
Range: 8,000 nmi (15,000 km; 9,200 mi) at 15 kn (28 km/h; 17 mph)
Boats and landing craft carried:
1 × LCU or 2 × LCVP in well deck
2 × Mexeflote powered rafts
Capacity: 1,150 linear metres (vehicles)
200 tons or 24 TEU (cargo)
Troops: 356 (standard), 700 (overload)
Crew: 70 (RFA, core only), 158 (RAN)
Armament: Fitted for:
2 × 30mm DS30B cannon
2 × Phalanx CIWS
4 × 7.62mm Mk44 Miniguns
6 × 7.62mm L7 GPMG
Individual outfit varies across class
Aviation facilities: Flight deck for helicopters up to Chinook-size.

SKB
England

Re: Bay Class Landing Ship Dock (LSD (A)) (RFA)

Post by SKB »

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

was a great idea buying an existing design maybe the Government should have gone the same route for the LPD's and Bought Rotterdam class instead of Albion and Bulwark.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Agreed.
These are great vessels, especially when the finance is considered. Cheap to procure and only 10 million a year to operate! Should have never sold one off. I wonder if we can buy it back one the canberra class comes fully online.
@LandSharkUK

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

shark bait wrote:Agreed.
These are great vessels, especially when the finance is considered. Cheap to procure and only 10 million a year to operate! Should have never sold one off. I wonder if we can buy it back one the canberra class comes fully online.
That is what I was originally hoping would happen after Largs Bay was sold - that eventually the UK's economy would pick up, defence budget would follow suit and politicians would think logically (at least the first were a possibility).

With the budget being squeezed further in the upcoming SDSR and continuing manpower issues in the RFA, it's more likely that we lose another Bay than gain one.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

shark bait wrote:Agreed.

Not a chance of off loading Choules, we need her and both Canberra's for the ARG.

You put another Bay on the market and I know how's gunna bid aggressively for her!!

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

R686 wrote:
Not a chance of off loading Choules, we need her and both Canberra's for the ARG.

You put another Bay on the market and I know how's gunna bid aggressively for her!!
Really? I dont mind admitting im not too clued up on the Australian military. Glad to see your getting some value out of her!
GibMariner wrote: With the budget being squeezed further in the upcoming SDSR and continuing manpower issues in the RFA, it's more likely that we lose another Bay than gain one.
We dont know that yet. I try to be a little more optimistic, but if something was to go I doubt it would be a bay, they are cheap useful vessels, unlike some vessels that are stuck in 'extended readiness'
@LandSharkUK

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

shark bait wrote:
R686 wrote:

Really? I dont mind admitting im not too clued up on the Australian military. Glad to see your getting some value out of her!
GibMariner wrote: With the budget being squeezed further in the upcoming SDSR and continuing manpower issues in the RFA, it's more likely that we lose another Bay than gain one.
We dont know that yet. I try to be a little more optimistic, but if something was to go I doubt it would be a bay, they are cheap useful vessels, unlike some vessels that are stuck in 'extended readiness'

We only really had the one big hiccup with her when one of the transformers gave up the ghost and then on closer inspection a second was in the same material state, as she was only new and the RAN has no experience in the type it was a steep learning curve for us. And from memory we had to go straight to the manufacture for replacement as I think no one had any spare. Other than that all good

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

we should have bought the LPD version of the Dutch from the start instead of Albion & Bulwark yes built them in UK yards. I wonder given their extended use is the lack of hanger now recognised as a mistake!

Tiny Toy

Post by Tiny Toy »

Indeed. It's almost as if the weather planned it - Lyme Bay was just in Montserrat doing HADR exercises as part of her APT(N) deployment. Couldn't have lined it up better. Sorry if that sounds callous to those actually hit by the storm.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Indeed, I think it makes good sense using an auxiliary for such a deployment, especially a bay class, I think they are very valuable, its a shame we lost one.
@LandSharkUK

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

should we have gone for more of these and less Point class? what is happening with them now?

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

marktigger wrote:should we have gone for more of these and less Point class? what is happening with them now?
More bays would always be useful, shame the ozzys nicked one of ours! However if we want to shift volume the points will always win.

I imagine points are busy on there commercial duty's now.
@LandSharkUK

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

4 Point Class remain in MOD use, and very active.

2, which used to work on charter to the civilian market and were only available at 90 days notice, have been released. Not sure where they are now. I tried to track them for a while, but then lost them. MV Longstone was renamed Dorset to serve with Shiplux VIII (Belgium company) then sold to Finnlines as Finnmerchant. MV Beachy Head became DFDS Williamsborg.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Gabriele wrote:4 Point Class remain in MOD use, and very active.

Very active on mod duties?
@LandSharkUK

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

shark bait wrote:
Gabriele wrote:4 Point Class remain in MOD use, and very active.

Very active on mod duties?
Yep. Moving stuff back from Germany, regular cruises to the Falklands carrying supplies (one every three weeks, i think), recently carrying Merlins and RM ground equipment to the US for training exercises, and all that. They quite regularly cruise across the Med and stop by Gibraltar, probably to carry stuff towards the Gulf.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Gabriele wrote:
Yep. Moving stuff back from Germany, regular cruises to the Falklands carrying supplies (one every three weeks, i think), recently carrying Merlins and RM ground equipment to the US for training exercises, and all that. They quite regularly cruise across the Med and stop by Gibraltar, probably to carry stuff towards the Gulf.
Thanks, didn't realise they where so busy for the MOD, had always assumed they where mostly on civilian duties.

That's good news though, very useful ships, especially with a mexeflote!
@LandSharkUK

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

shark bait wrote:
Gabriele wrote:
Thanks, didn't realise they where so busy for the MOD, had always assumed they where mostly on civilian duties.

Yes, I can confirm the (four remaining) Points are regular visitors to Gib - usually about once a month - on their Med route between the UK-Gib-Cyprus and likely onwards to the Gulf as Gabriele said.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

shark bait wrote:
Gabriele wrote:

The famos A-stan airbridge operated a lot in two steps: sea to Cyprus, next step by air (of course Bastion wasn't the final stop, hence the wear and tear on the tactical fleet - where Chinooks belong, I'd love to see the fraction of flying hours, out of the total,used on air assault)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

they were heavily involved with germany drawdown

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

these are extremely flexible vessels and shame we sold one to the Aussies. Wonder if we should have bought the full blown LPD version instead of Bulwark & Albion