Ocean Class Helicopter Carrier (LPH) (1998-2018) (ex RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Re: Ocean Class Helicopter Carrier (LPH) (RN)

Post by shark bait »

Bays shouldnt go, they are proving to be very useful.
3 bays can be operated for the price of one albion, I would rather say get rid of the albions and order 3 more bays.
@LandSharkUK

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

I agree the bays shouldn't go but neither should the Albions but maybe we should have ordered dutch rotterdams (the Bay is a cut price version of these ships) to begin with.....oh wait the Rotterdam were built by Schelde not British Aerospace! certainly more flexible vessels.

remember the navy operate the Albions and the RFA operate the Bays. So if the RFA needs manpower for the Tides you can't chop a RN vessel and transfare its crew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotterdam ... sport_dock

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

HMS Ocean was said to be taking over as fleet flagship today. Has there been any announcement of some kind of official ceremony or any event to mark the occasion?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

GibMariner wrote:HMS Ocean was said to be taking over as fleet flagship today. Has there been any announcement of some kind of official ceremony or any event to mark the occasion?
How's this? Plymouth Herald : http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymout ... story.html

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

SKB wrote:
GibMariner wrote:HMS Ocean was said to be taking over as fleet flagship today. Has there been any announcement of some kind of official ceremony or any event to mark the occasion?
How's this? Plymouth Herald : http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymout ... story.html
Thanks for that, but it looks pretty much like the article the RN released last week and doesn't mention a specific event. It would be a shame if there wasn't as the RN (and the rest of the armed forces for that matter) needs all the good PR it can get.

Also, since Ocean is going to be spending the next few months acting as a 'NATO flagship' and Bulwark in the Med (I may be mistaken but I think the original plan was for four months) and Lyme Bay was murmured as a replacement (but at the same time rumoured to be stuck at Falmouth due to manpower issues) - will all this have any effect on the RFTG's Cougar 15 deployment later this year? I'd hate for it to be any worse than last year's deployment.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

HMS Ocean grounded in Plymouth by wind
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/HMS-Oce ... story.html
:shock:

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

SKB wrote:HMS Ocean grounded in Plymouth by wind
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/HMS-Oce ... story.html
:shock:
Grounded seems a strange term to use. Sounds like shes just been held up in port.

Running aground would have been a very bad first day as a flagship
@LandSharkUK

Foxbat
United Kingdom

Post by Foxbat »

Presumably some journo who associates the word with bad weather preventing aircraft taking off so just applied the word here without realising that it has a very specific (and rather career ending for the captain) meaning when it comes to ships.

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

wirralpete
United Kingdom

Post by wirralpete »

Interesting to see Ocean take on Fleet flagship role from HMS Bulwark.
I always thought Ocean lacked the C4SIR communications fit that Albion and Bulwark have, does this mean that Ocean have had her comms systems and abiltiy to embark and host a task force command group has been added (perhaps taken off Albion during her current mothballed status), and upgraded during her recent refit?

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

wirralpete wrote:Interesting to see Ocean take on Fleet flagship role from HMS Bulwark.
I always thought Ocean lacked the C4SIR communications fit that Albion and Bulwark have, does this mean that Ocean have had her comms systems and abiltiy to embark and host a task force command group has been added (perhaps taken off Albion during her current mothballed status), and upgraded during her recent refit?
This article from a page or two back and the Plymouth Herald one from above states that:
Separately HMS Ocean recently completed fitting new communications and IT systems which now allows the ship to host a staff, headed by a Rear Admiral, commanding UK and NATO Task Groups.

As well as the ship’s role as the Royal Navy’s Flagship, the headquarters staff in Ocean will be the Maritime Component Commander of the NATO Response Force (NRF) in 2016.
Which seems to suggest what you say... whether they came from Albion or not, I have no idea.

Albion's refit has begun (http://www.naval-technology.com/news/ne ... on-4592169) so we might find out soon. If the kit was taken off Albion, there could be very bad news in the upcoming SDSR.

wirralpete
United Kingdom

Post by wirralpete »

Cheers Gib must have missed that article:-)
Would seem Ocean may be around longer than her OSD date hopefully.

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

wirralpete wrote:Cheers Gib must have missed that article:-)
Would seem Ocean may be around longer than her OSD date hopefully.
I may be mistaken, but I don't think Ocean would survive much longer than her current 2018 OSD - I think the plans were to use her crew to man the carrier(s), plus due to her commercial build it's said she won't be able to last much longer.

Maybe a reprieve for a year at most until Queen Elizabeth is fully operational I suppose.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

who'd buy the ex-HMS Ocean?

I fear that she will be scrapped once out of service.
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

HMS Ocean will probably be scrapped as soon as one of the QEC (or both) enters service.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

arfah wrote:who'd buy the ex-HMS Ocean?

I fear that she will be scrapped once out of service.
I hear Russia are in the market for a helicopter carrier again ......
@LandSharkUK

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

nice shots.

Surprised me that the navy is contributing the 2nd largest force to the operation.

@LandSharkUK

sea_eagle
United Kingdom

MV22 Osprey for HMS Ocean

Post by sea_eagle »

Reported by the MOD news service.
The Times suggests that hundreds of US Marines are to be deployed on British and other European warships in the Mediterranean if Russia threatens NATO countries in Eastern Europe. The article reports that HMS Ocean, the Royal Navy’s flagship helicopter carrier, has been selected as one of the vessels to host US forces as the US Marine Corps does not have the capacity to permanently station an amphibious response force in Europe.
https://modmedia.blog.gov.uk/2015/06/16 ... a-16-june/

The link mentions The Times but that is behind a paywall so here is one from another paper:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/584779 ... ern-Europe

Not sure what else HMS Ocean can operate when it has 3 MV22 Osprey on board? I assume they can't fit below?

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Re: MV22 Osprey for HMS Ocean

Post by shark bait »

sea_eagle wrote:
Not sure what else HMS Ocean can operate when it has 3 MV22 Osprey on board? I assume they can't fit below?
That's a very interesting development, will be good to see some V22 operating of navy ships. V22 stored on deck, Apache below ?

I remember thinking the Apache looked like a squeeze for the lift, so I can imagine the V22 would fit.
@LandSharkUK

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

Great pictures, Armchair Soldier! You can always rely onthe USN to provide excellent pictures of the Royal Navy when they exercise/operate together!! :lol:

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

I'm 99% sure that a folded MV-22 Osprey will not fit Ocean's lifts because it is a bit too long for them, unfortunately. Width wouldn't be an issue, but lenght i'm afraid it is.

However, folded up, the MV-22s will take the same deck space as a flight of 2 Chinooks, more or less. There will still be space for a fair bit of stuff, even though it'll maybe take a bit to figure out new movement schemes.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

sea_eagle
United Kingdom

Post by sea_eagle »

Gabriele wrote:
I'm 99% sure that a folded MV-22 Osprey will not fit Ocean's lifts because it is a bit too long for them, unfortunately. Width wouldn't be an issue, but lenght i'm afraid it is.

However, folded up, the MV-22s will take the same deck space as a flight of 2 Chinooks, more or less. There will still be space for a fair bit of stuff, even though it'll maybe take a bit to figure out new movement schemes.
Thanks for the info Gabriele!

SKB
England

Re: Ocean Class Helicopter Carrier (LPH) (1998-2018) (ex RN)

Post by SKB »

Found nice images of HMS Ocean's build and launch (11th October 1995). She'll be twenty years old next month.