Type 23 Frigate (Duke Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Type 23 Frigate (Duke Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

That is probably it. The center rows, even though not at an angle, have caps on the silos that are not centered, either.

Isn't the soft launch mechanism just a capsule for Soda Siphons, for Homemade Fizzy Water, taken one step further?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

I think you will find the inner rows are also angled outwards. The missiles are ejected by a piston, not sure what the medium is that activates the piston. Some sort of rapid gas generator producing CO2 probably.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

whitelancer wrote:I suspect that the launch tubes are angled outwards so that should the missile fail after it has been ejected it does not fall back onto the ship. Note the VLS on the land launched version are also at an angle. It may also allow the missiles to be ejected overboard if their is a threat to the VLS. Just my speculation.
I've thought about this possibility, but i'm not sure. On Type 26 it would require different cells from those seen so far, and anyway other VLS systems (Sylver, MK41) do not deem such measures necessary.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Could it have anything to do with Aerodynamics of the missile, to keep it airborne until the rocket motor kicks in.

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

The difference is that MK41 etc. are hot launched. If the booster fails the missile just sits in the launch tube if it activates the missile is far enough away not to be a danger to the ship. However with a soft launch, the missile could be ejected but if the missile then fails it will be only some 30m or so from the launch tube and if that's straight up its quite likely to fall back on the ship. Angling the launch tubes outboard gives you a degree of security against such an eventuality.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

whitelancer wrote:The difference is that MK41 etc. are hot launched. If the booster fails the missile just sits in the launch tube if it activates the missile is far enough away not to be a danger to the ship. However with a soft launch, the missile could be ejected but if the missile then fails it will be only some 30m or so from the launch tube and if that's straight up its quite likely to fall back on the ship. Angling the launch tubes outboard gives you a degree of security against such an eventuality.
Good point I agree. But, I am not sure the tube shall be inclined. For example, if the ship is rolling by 10 degree, inclining the tube by 10 degree is not enough.

Around 0:40, we can see
1- the soft launch throughs away the missile may be by 20m or so.
2- then attitude control TVC motor ignites and controls the missile
3- then main booster ignites
I guess , step 2 and 3 are "redundant safety", so if either the attitude control TVC motor or main booster ignites, the missile will be cleared off from the launch site. But I agree this is all guess.

Looking at the photo I've up-loaded, I think the tubes are not inclined. Also, the BEA's Westminster brochure showed that the tubes are right-up.

# By the way, after 0:56 of the video is apparently SeaWolf. Hot launched, shows TVC "bending" flame seen in typical VL-SeaWolf video.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

hot launch also generates allot of toxic gases to. Thats one of the drawbacks of ASTER.

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

Roll could obviously negate the advantage of angling the tubes outboard, however I suspect this will only be a factor in fairly bad weather or when the ship is healing over during hard manoeuvring. It would be possible to overcome it by either timing the launch to match the ships roll, or selecting a missile from the appropriate bank, port or starboard depending on the direction of the ships roll. It is curious that all the CGIs I have seen always show the launch tubes as vertical even the video by MBDA showing how Seaceptor was to be fitted to T23 showed the launch tubes as vertical. But then it also showed the Sea Wolf launch tubes being removed entirely, with Seacepter being in 8 sets of 4 launch tubes located just on the starboard side. Not how its turned out at all. Their is also the problem of quad packing in MK41 cant see how this could be done other than vertically. I think we will have to wait for a definitive answer!

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

whitelancer wrote:also the problem of quad packing in MK41
Has such a combo been deployed, or is it just one of those things that "could be done"?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

Certainly MBDA claim it can be quad packed in Sylver and MK41, not sure its been fired from either though.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

It has been test fired from a MK41 with EXlS quad-pack adapter back in september 2013. Image

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Thanks.

Looking at the photo, would seem that not 4 but 2 at the most have been put into the VLS for the test?

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

HMS Monmouth starts nine-month deployment

His Commanding Officer, Cdr Ian Feasey, said after 18 months of preparations and intensive training, the Black Duke was ready to show her mettle on the front line.

“We leave Devonport ready for operations, and with a keen fighting spirit, supported by the families we leave behind until December.”

https://navaltoday.com/2017/03/07/hms-m ... eployment/

Anyone else thinks that 9 months long deployment is a perversion?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

abc123 wrote:HMS Monmouth starts nine-month deployment

His Commanding Officer, Cdr Ian Feasey, said after 18 months of preparations and intensive training, the Black Duke was ready to show her mettle on the front line.

“We leave Devonport ready for operations, and with a keen fighting spirit, supported by the families we leave behind until December.”

https://navaltoday.com/2017/03/07/hms-m ... eployment/

Anyone else thinks that 9 months long deployment is a perversion?
I note that she is the first T23 to be fitted with "50 cals" on her bridge wings for this deployment :-

http://navaltoday.com/2017/03/13/hms-mo ... irst-stop/

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

My eyesight is bad and might be failing me, but i only see the usual miniguns and what looks to me like GPMGs...?

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

Gabriele wrote:My eyesight is bad and might be failing me, but i only see the usual miniguns and what looks to me like GPMGs...?
They looked a bit big for G.P.M.G.s when it passed on Thursday war.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Interesting to note that Scan Eagle is still there. I thought the contract had finished
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Caribbean wrote:Interesting to note that Scan Eagle is still there. I thought the contract had finished
Is "it" there, or is the hardware simply in place (as in : has been left unremoved as a cost avoidance measure) to facilitate a quick reactivation of the contract, should a need arise?

Having read about the add-ons to these excellent (but aging) frigates over the years, they do look like swimming quite deep (which would equate to buoyancy reserve issues) and every bit of kit put on and taken off again would draw unwanted attention to that (except CAMM - a like for like replacement with performance in a wholly different league - and .50 cal - you just man them with thinner gunners and the sum of weapon and gunner stays "a constant").
- are the Seahawk anti-surface autocannons only on bigger vessels, or is this a move to make it easier to demonstrate to potential attackers that the ship is "at the ready" to give a warm welcome? Manned vs. unmanned (there might be still some of the older autocannon units - that were manned - in use; I do not know... just following up with the Phalanx total (are they all now B's?) and which ships they have been put on is consuming enough

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Caribbean wrote:Interesting to note that Scan Eagle is still there. I thought the contract had finished
"late 2017", whatever that means. Jane's says November.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Gabriele wrote:My eyesight is bad and might be failing me, but i only see the usual miniguns and what looks to me like GPMGs...?
Should have gone to 'Specsavers' ;)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Are we even looking at the same image, though...? Here: http://navaltoday.com/2017/03/07/hms-mo ... eployment/ i continue to see GPMGs. Buttstock gives them away. Yesterday I did see a photo on the Royal Navy website with a .50 firing, though.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Gabriele wrote:"late 2017", whatever that means. Jane's says November.
Thanks, Gabriele. The article is positive about it, so hopefully that indicates that they might retain it, or something like it once the contract finishes.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

90inFIRST
United Kingdom

Post by 90inFIRST »

Gabriele wrote:Are we even looking at the same image, though...? Here: http://navaltoday.com/2017/03/07/hms-mo ... eployment/ i continue to see GPMGs. Buttstock gives them away. Yesterday I did see a photo on the Royal Navy website with a .50 firing, though.
I blew the picture up def GPMG

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Looking at Facebook page of RN, T23 frigate rarely carries SeaWolf SAM recently. Self Correction!! mistake, it was.
HMS Portland on March, no. Self Correction!! HMS Portland on March 11 movie do carry 32 Sea Wolfs.
HMS St Alans on Feb. no. --> Self Correction!! HMS St Albans on March 10 movie do carry 32 Sea Wolfs.

Both was my "bad eye". Sorry for bothering...

cyrilranch
United Kingdom

Post by cyrilranch »

HMS Lancaster was towed out of Portsmouth this morning - for major refit in Devonport, before being returned to service https://t.co/srwJZRjrl3

Noticed that the main radar, scot ,and 4.5 gun ae missing,looks as if she going to a turkish shipyard instead :roll: