Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Caribbean wrote:Despite what some of the assembled contributors here may think - a single Bay class is totally inadequate for the task of post-hurricane disaster relief in the Caribbean and the sundry tankers assigned in the past are even less capable. The entire contents of a single Bay-class will be exhausted handling the response on a single small island. Following the Haiti earthquake in 2010, the RN was tasked with helping one village as that is all that it was capable of. The hurricanes of the last few years have demonstrated that the entire European response in assisting their Caribbean overseas territories has been lamentably lacking (the French pre-positioned c. 2000 troops in the French overseas departements in 2017
Sorry to butt in, and the facts that you provide are appreciated, but you seem to propose an allocation of many multiples of what has been the case over the last 5 years or so
- if I may put a blunt question: what is the multiple that would make you happy? Cutting through the chaff, so to say
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Caribbean wrote:The main proponents of those proposals are : elements within DfID , commentators/ campaigners like STRN and private organisations like British Maritime Aid. However, there have also been numerous articles in the press relating to these proposals (both pro- and anti-) and suggesting modes of operation, representing the views of both individual correspondents and interested groups
A genuine thank you, and for your explanation of other RN relief efforts.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Caribbean wrote:The entire contents of a single Bay-class will be exhausted handling the response on a single small island.
Caribbean wrote:The RN has little depth to backup the sole Bay in the Caribbean
Which is why the government should be making moves towards a locally managed response. These islands are suppose to be self governing, so they should be self resilient. A hardened warehouse and a local response organisation could deliver way more than what the Navy can.
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I could not agree more:
shark bait wrote:towards a locally managed response. These islands are suppose to be self governing, so they should be self resilient. A hardened warehouse and a local response organisation could deliver way more than what the Navy can.
THis is from a UN bulletin
"September 6, 2017: The United Nations System is deploying staff and assistance to meet the needs of vulnerable Caribbean citizens in the path of record-breaking Hurricane Irma. Caribbean Small Island Developing States (SIDS) have unique economic, environmental and social vulnerabilities that are exacerbated in severe natural crises.

“Hurricane Irma is an unprecedented threat to the Caribbean. The United Nations is working closely with the CDEMA-led Regional Response Mechanism (RRM) and the affected countries to bring assistance to those most in need."

If it did not work the "last" time (surely wasn't the last time, but bad enough to produce 'lessons learnt' - though there seems to be more lessons than learning), then the SB suggestion could help to improve, be multilaterally funded ('aid' when not just for national jurisdictions) and the various navies could still play a role in early entry, like getting engineers and machinery ashore to repair jetties and whatever other vessels might require in order to discharge the greater volumes.
- oops, I answered my own question in the process. As a cog in a bigger wheel the current allocation of resources might be made to work... with a little bit of lateral thinking and more (than today) of int'l co-operation
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Not strictly boats but helps frame the discussion

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Stirring the pot, I know, but couldn't resist :twisted:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... -says-new/
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Caribbean wrote:Stirring the pot, I know, but couldn't resist :twisted:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... -says-new/
Yeah. I also think it would be a great idea if someone would buy me a luxury yacht, it would do wonders for my brand too.

This one to be precise:

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Sod the yacht ! think I would settle for Balmoral castle, an F35b + an Apache and a few million in the bank :D :D :D

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I would settle for one of the Foxhounds if they are actually getting rid of them.

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

I’m fully supportive of a Royal Yacht - 1947 style... :D

”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston