Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
hovematlot
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by hovematlot »

I see 3rd Phalanx still not fitted

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

hovematlot wrote:I see 3rd Phalanx still not fitted
Yes wonder what the hold up is. Also I seem to remember that the Carriers would also get 30mm guns, maybe I was mistaken.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

bobp wrote:Yes wonder what the hold up is. Also I seem to remember that the Carriers would also get 30mm guns, maybe I was mistaken.
They are also to get the ASCG mount for the 30mm's. Think later in the year to be ready for CSG21. The holdup will probably be the number of available mounts and those finishing off cycling through the upgrade programme. It's one of those annoying bottlenecks, 2-3 more Phalanx mounts would make a lot of real difference to the overall availability.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Timmymagic wrote:
bobp wrote:Yes wonder what the hold up is. Also I seem to remember that the Carriers would also get 30mm guns, maybe I was mistaken.
They are also to get the ASCG mount for the 30mm's. Think later in the year to be ready for CSG21. The holdup will probably be the number of available mounts and those finishing off cycling through the upgrade programme. It's one of those annoying bottlenecks, 2-3 more Phalanx mounts would make a lot of real difference to the overall availability.
Have they removed the Phalanx mounts from the Fort 1's and Bulwark if not it might help

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Sorry if this is a stupid question or mentioned before, could the gun mounts be used for the combination gun+martlet system as tested a few months back? & could that account for a delay fitting to the carriers as they are making up there minds ?

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

PWLS winding and moving to Princes Royal Jetty as we speak, might even have finished by now.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

PhillyJ wrote:PWLS winding and moving to Princes Royal Jetty as we speak, might even have finished by now.
(Photo: @AmzJS13)

Bows south too

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

tent over the port for'ard phalanx mount.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

serge750 wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question or mentioned before, could the gun mounts be used for the combination gun+martlet system as tested a few months back? & could that account for a delay fitting to the carriers as they are making up there minds ?
Yes. The system tested was a standard DS-30M ASCG with the Martlet missile carrier attached on the side. It was an adaptation of the existing mount rather than a new build MSI Seahawk SIGMA. The QE Class will get the same DS30 mounts as the T23's so could carry the same set up (if its ever fully ordered and installed).

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Lovely photo, thanks for posting.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

https://www.naval-technology.com/projec ... le-system/

It will be interesting to see whether Sea Captor ever gets fitted to the Queen Elizabeth class or indeed if the 40mm guns slated for Type 31 ever replace the 20mm Vulcan Phalanx.

Max Jones
United Kingdom

Post by Max Jones »

J. Tattersall wrote:https://www.naval-technology.com/projec ... le-system/

It will be interesting to see whether Sea Captor ever gets fitted to the Queen Elizabeth class or indeed if the 40mm guns slated for Type 31 ever replace the 20mm Vulcan Phalanx.
The 40mm isn't really intended to be a direct replacement for the Phalanx - the Type 26s are still planned to be fitted with a couple Phalanx CIWS each and they'll be making up the bulk of the future frigate fleet.
If the QE-class does get more advanced missile defence, it will probably be looking ahead a 15-30 years in the future when the Phalanxes are deemed outdated and obsolete. For now, they are still being widely used.

Magpie64
United Kingdom

Post by Magpie64 »

Does anyone have information on any trials or tests of Phalanx vs. modern missiles? Has it actually been proven effective against the latest generation of anti-ship missiles?
It astounds me that we still rely on this CIWS to protect our RN ships and crews.
I was on D96 back in the eighties when it was fitted.
I know it has had upgrades since but it was in service with the USN in 1980, it is 40 years old!
(a real concern for me, my youngest lad is on QE)
Thanks

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Magpie64 wrote:Does anyone have information on any trials or tests of Phalanx vs. modern missiles? Has it actually been proven effective against the latest generation of anti-ship missiles?
It astounds me that we still rely on this CIWS to protect our RN ships and crews.
I know it has had upgrades since but it was in service with the USN in 1980, it is 40 years old!
Thanks
Yup and it was designed as protection against subsonic and non-stealthy threats. And you can upgrade the software as much as you like but the gun is still horrifically short of reach.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

SKB wrote:
Glad they said that, I could see the headlines from some over inflated journo "britains biggest warship sinks of the coast..."

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

RichardIC wrote:Yup and it was designed as protection against subsonic and non-stealthy threats. And you can upgrade the software as much as you like but the gun is still horrifically short of reach.
And this is why the US navy have moved over to RAM and fit SeaRam on the Independence class and others

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Magpie64 wrote:Does anyone have information on any trials or tests of Phalanx vs. modern missiles? Has it actually been proven effective against the latest generation of anti-ship missiles?
Thanks
By that same criteria, the Bofors is 90 years old :D

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Tempest414 wrote:
RichardIC wrote:Yup and it was designed as protection against subsonic and non-stealthy threats. And you can upgrade the software as much as you like but the gun is still horrifically short of reach.
And this is why the US navy have moved over to RAM and fit SeaRam on the Independence class and others
.... and the RN has introduced CAMM & Aster 15.

Phalanx, is just as much an anti boat defense than anything these days. For missiles, it's last ditch and all that implies.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

agreed however I do like the SeaRam option which CAMM and Aster do not have i.e it offer ships with little or no linked radar a good point defence missile option

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

I must admit that I do think that adding a few RAM batteries to the carriers (less impact on aircraft operations than e.g. CAMM, as they can be mounted in positions where they don't need to launch across the flight deck/ path), alongside Phalanx (to give them, effectively, their own "Goalkeeper" capability) might be a good idea. Add in a few extras to bolt onto (say) the RB2s and RFAs operating in more dangerous waters and you add quite significant defensive capability at relatively low cost
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Caribbean wrote:as they can be mounted in positions where they don't need to launch across the flight deck/ path
You would think it wouldn't be that hard to come up with a CAMM solution that meets that requirement.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

A couple of pics from my lad on his deployment around the West Coast of the British Isles, him piping Rounds and a different perspective from the RAS they did. He will also be out on a boat in the harbour watching the Marine Evacuation System test, from a safe distance one hopes!

Oops, couldn't add pics as board attachment quota been reached :thumbdown: