Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
cyrilranch
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by cyrilranch »

serge750 wrote:Wasn't HMS Albions deployment to the pacific region in 2018 ? so maybe HMS POW in 23/24 sounds about right or maybe HMS Bulwark? maybe the french could participate with CdeG or a Mistral rather than just one of their submarines
A mistral jeanne D,arc is already in India on tour. With CdeG in the gulf at present.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Thanks, i did not realise CdeG was in the gulf, it would be a great shot for the UK CVBG on the way out to asia to meet up with our french allies :D

imperialman
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by imperialman »

Interesting, this is what the RN hope to have "by 2030". Note Vixen taking on AEW from Merlin.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Strike
Find/ Strike
Fix/ Strike

... labels for the three identified naval rotary assets
How should one read those (or is there some inconsistency, due to different sources?)?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

imperialman
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by imperialman »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Strike
Find/ Strike
Fix/ Strike

How should one read those (or is there some inconsistency, due to different sources?)?
There's more here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... INAL-O.pdf

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

imperialman wrote: There's more here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... INAL-O.pdf
Some excellent slide work there... but I really needed the break after 22 slides
- if there are ever conclusions (minutes) they would run to 20-30 % of that length (bcz you should always retain and state assumptions; reiterate is the name of the game/ of the day)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Strike
Find/ Strike
Fix/ Strike

Easy peasy:

A strike asset would require something else to provide targeting data. Wildcat dropping Stingrays would be an example i.e. "fly to these coordinates and drop torpedo".

A find/strike asset would be capable of all steps from initial detection of a bad guy to weapon deployment. Wildcat on an surface ship guard duty would fit the profile. The bogie would be "found" by the Wildcat's radar/EO, IFF & co-ords "fixed" by same, followed by "strike" of Wildcat launched Martlet/Venom.

Fix/Strike would be a Merlin sent to a location by its mother ship (T23 or T26) to investigate an echo that was "found" by mother. That echo would be "fixed" using its dipping sonar then "struck" with a Stingray.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Video on the 4 F-35B ISO container housed mission simulators to be carried on board HMS QE. Two sims per container.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

^ "sim-a-lators"

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

A lot of activity in the dockyard for both QE class carriers recently, including the 'marquee' on PWLS flight deck being removed today. I tend to spend most my lunchtimes sat by HMS M33 eating and watching the daily goings on, 2 Pumas were circling and landing in the dockyard today so that was a pleasant change.

Saw nipper the other day and he said that the reports regarding PWLS ready to sail by May reported earlier are pretty much what he is expecting to happen.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Lovely spot for lunch judging by google maps, very jealous :thumbup:

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

PhillyJ wrote:2 Pumas were circling and landing in the dockyard today so that was a pleasant change.
Think that was a delegation from Turkey visiting.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

QECV having good simulators for F35B is really great point. It can up keep the pilots certificate without spending precious flight hours (and expensive maintenance loads) to actually fly the F35Bs. Innovation, it is, I think.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Timmymagic wrote:Think that was a delegation from Turkey visiting.
Indeed, my nipper piped the Turkish Defence Minister on and off and also showed him around PWLS with other crew.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

abc123 wrote:
PhillyJ wrote:S my IT career i
I will be learning traditional wooden boat building techniques
Quite a big career change. And a big challenge. All the best.

Care to explain why did you choose exactly that?
Sorry for not replying sooner, got lost in the updates.

To be honest I didn't really like my last 2 years in IT for various reasons, but as it was quite well payed, flexible work hours and little travel distance (pre Covid working from home) it would have been difficult to justify leaving. As my mind was made up for me by IBM my Wife said why not do something I'd actually enjoy.

With the help of a govt bursary scheme for those made redundant it reduced the cost by about £11k and a bit more achievable. I'd always said working in the historic museum sector locally would be something I'd like to do, hopefully after this year course it will help me achieve that, ideally on Pompey Historic boats.

3 weeks in I can confirm that my upper arm muscles are still not sure planing wood in my 50's was a good idea!

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

We're rooting for you Philly. I'm sure we can rustle up a full load of passengers for your first boat trip round the harbor in a boat you've built. I'll pick up the tab for drinks being remote :thumbup:

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

PhillyJ wrote: 3 weeks in I can confirm that my upper arm muscles are still not sure planing wood in my 50's was a good idea!

Yeah, that's the reason why I asked you that. :clap:

Anyway, good luck with your new ( hopefully ) career. :wave: The muscles will adjust with time.
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

An outstandingly well detailed and thought through piece from Navy Lookout:

https://www.navylookout.com/cats-traps- ... ed-drones/

Covers a great deal of the discussion we've had here regarding the RFI for 'cats n' traps', the role of UAVs, and "where do you fit the catapult/wires".

Navy Lookout even has four theoretical deck layout options for how to integrate any such equipment, with the pros and cons.

I won't summarise the article any further, as it's definitely a worthwhile read.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Surely what ever option is chosen we are going to need an angled flight deck?

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Jdam wrote:Surely what ever option is chosen we are going to need an angled flight deck?
At the sort of weights/size/capability proposed for Vixen, that would be my assumption. I'd also want a second catapult for redundancy and maintenance.

However.... frankly who knows? BMT, BAE and Thales spent decades looking at every variation for a future carrier. Hopefully they've kept that data.

As Navy Lookout mentions, additional Lightnings and V-22s with pods might be seen as a "lower cost" option. Cynic in me wonders if that's the real plan and this is a distraction to argue how much "cheaper" it would be to go with that instead. Interestingly, Bell are rumoured to be putting the Osprey up for the new Medium Helicopter requirement, alongside the 525 Relentless.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Jdam wrote:Surely what ever option is chosen we are going to need an angled flight deck?
Nope.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Could another alternative for meeting U.A.V requirements be to design and build a small ship that could launch and recover U.A.V s with other capabilities as well that meet the needs of the R.N

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

I wonder how much of all this will remain a marketing drawing.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

imperialman wrote:Note Vixen taking on AEW from Merlin.
Good to see theirs something pointing in that direction. AEW from Merlin is the biggest weakness in the carrier groups defence.
@LandSharkUK

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

topman wrote:I wonder how much of all this will remain a marketing drawing.
A lot of countries are running lots of loyal wingman type programs so I think it's a pretty safe bet we'll be seeing them. Probably sooner rather than later.