Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

2 weeks old folks

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

^ Lego minifigures!!! :D

Anyone know what the dark grey areas on the plan represent?

Smokey
Cyprus

Post by Smokey »

"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid"

Quite handy for, Rehearsal Of Concept drills.

Thorvicson
United Kingdom

Post by Thorvicson »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:2 weeks old folks

Talk about sad, but I remember when CJ got miffed that they robbed him of his best vantage point when they started to work on that Bridge !!!. Its finished now along with QNLZ :o :shock:

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Thorvicson wrote:Talk about sad, but I remember when CJ got miffed that they robbed him of his best vantage point when they started to work on that Bridge !!!. Its finished now along with QNLZ
Three utterly magnificent bridges side by side is a view in itself, but add in QE and PoW and it becomes quite something though. When it comes to views of engineering in the UK it's hard to think of a better one.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Sorry, nothing to do with carriers, but the Queensferry Crossing is their neighbour ;)

CR4ZYHOR5E
United Kingdom

Post by CR4ZYHOR5E »

Really quite something to see CJs images. I remember CJs earliest images from a similar vantage of the various blocks being assembled. Amazing - thanks again for all your efforts CJ.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Okay... strange comment, but I've got some dude on Reddit adamant that the QE's arrival in Portsmouth has been delayed as they're going to be timing it with Trump's visit to the UK... Trumpy's chickened out of coming over here and I've not been able to find a shred of evidence to back up the claim. I'm about 99.999% certain it's utter rubbish... anyone else heard this claim?

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

SDL wrote:Okay... strange comment, but I've got some dude on Reddit adamant that the QE's arrival in Portsmouth has been delayed as they're going to be timing it with Trump's visit to the UK... Trumpy's chickened out of coming over here and I've not been able to find a shred of evidence to back up the claim. I'm about 99.999% certain it's utter rubbish... anyone else heard this claim?
Thought you guy's banned him or something :mrgreen:

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

There have been two online petitions concerning Trump and a UK visit. Any petition with more than 100,000 signatures is debated in parliament.

Block Donald J Trump from UK entry.The signatories believe Donald J Trump should be banned from UK entry.
586,930 signatures
This topic was debated on 18 January 2016.
Government responded
The Government has a policy of not routinely commenting on individual immigration or exclusion cases.

Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom. Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen.
1,863,707 signatures
This topic was debated on 20 February 2017
Government responded
HM Government believes the President of the United States should be extended the full courtesy of a State Visit. We look forward to welcoming President Trump once dates and arrangements are finalised.

No date for a Trump visit has been announced. No date for QE entry into Portsmouth has been announced. Apart from that, I don't think they are linked.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Aethulwulf wrote:There have been two online petitions concerning Trump and a UK visit. Any petition with more than 100,000 signatures is debated in parliament.

Block Donald J Trump from UK entry.The signatories believe Donald J Trump should be banned from UK entry.
586,930 signatures
This topic was debated on 18 January 2016.
Government responded
The Government has a policy of not routinely commenting on individual immigration or exclusion cases.

Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom. Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen.
1,863,707 signatures
This topic was debated on 20 February 2017
Government responded
HM Government believes the President of the United States should be extended the full courtesy of a State Visit. We look forward to welcoming President Trump once dates and arrangements are finalised.

No date for a Trump visit has been announced. No date for QE entry into Portsmouth has been announced. Apart from that, I don't think they are linked.

Sarcasm at play on my part.

I knew that there were petitions against Trump, but did not know that they were debated.

The responce was about what I expected, after all he's not like Robert Mugabe.

Thorvicson
United Kingdom

Post by Thorvicson »

Thought you like some pics of the model of PWLS in CATOBAR configuration that was on display at Yeovilton a couple of years back, they had reverted to just the QNLZ model the following year when I revisited.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Fantastic spot! Great photos, looks very nifty in that layout. Never realised they had an actual model of it.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

There appeared to be more ciws in these pictures as well

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

And looks like lizzy in the back ground (STOVL)

Pity there's no bridle catchers think they look the ants pants with twin bow cats and catchers

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

The fella in the background doesn't seem impressed...

Or maybe he's pissed that it never came to be!?! :D

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

What would the overall length of a CATOBAR QE/PoW have been? Seems longer with that angled deck extension on the stern/transom.

inch

Post by inch »

you never know 50 yrs time a long time in the future and a lot can change lizzy might look something like that towards the end of her years ? .

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

SKB wrote:What would the overall length of a CATOBAR QE/PoW have been? Seems longer with that angled deck extension on the stern/transom.

Only real way to find that out if you can your hands on the internal report from years ago about the cost and changes needed when they flip flopped from STOVL to CATOBAR and back again.

But besides cutting into 200 odd space's to fit all the kit in for cat and traps was under the impression the overall dimensions would not change maybe an extra sponson for extra angled deck.

Thorvicson
United Kingdom

Post by Thorvicson »

Little J wrote:The fella in the background doesn't seem impressed...

That would be my father, who served on HMS Ocean & Triumph 46-48 in the med under 805 and then 800 sqdns servicing Seafires. He sadly passed away last year :(

Thorvicson
United Kingdom

Post by Thorvicson »

SKB wrote:What would the overall length of a CATOBAR QE/PoW have been? Seems longer with that angled deck extension on the stern/transom.
I'm not sure if they ever published them or it could be they didn't really count the flight deck round down but the width change it more relevant for dock clearances.

At least you can use the photos to do a profile of the CATABAR version for your records.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Thorvicson wrote:

That would be my father, who served on HMS Ocean & Triumph 46-48 in the med under 805 and then 800 sqdns servicing Seafires. He sadly passed away last year :(

Sorry to hear that, hope he had a rich full life and a great innings!

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

RetroSicotte wrote:Fantastic spot! Great photos, looks very nifty in that layout. Never realised they had an actual model of it.
If you've never been the Aircraft Carrier 'experience' next door is probably the best museum display/exhibit I've ever seen. Usually the interactive displays like that never live up to the hype, this one genuinely does.

http://www.fleetairarm.com/museum-aircr ... ience.aspx

Jessie
United Kingdom

Post by Jessie »

Timmymagic wrote:
RetroSicotte wrote:Fantastic spot! Great photos, looks very nifty in that layout. Never realised they had an actual model of it.
If you've never been the Aircraft Carrier 'experience' next door is probably the best museum display/exhibit I've ever seen. Usually the interactive displays like that never live up to the hype, this one genuinely does.

http://www.fleetairarm.com/museum-aircr ... ience.aspx
It certainly does, I went down to Yeoville a couple of years back, the Aircraft Carrier experience was the highlight for me.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Thorvicson wrote:

Sorry to hear that, my condolences to you and your family.