Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Timmymagic »

How about an unmanned light COD platform for the QE's....we know it will land and takeoff as it did so from the far smaller Hermes back in the day...

rbw91
United Kingdom

Post by rbw91 »

Defiance wrote:For anyone interested the software used is available on Steam called 'Command Modern Operations'

Pretty fun to mess around on
Interested in knowing more about this. Do you think it is worth the £65? Is there a forum anywhere to see what others do on it? It’s got good scores on Steam but would rather get a first hand view.

Sorry for the off topic post, but I will buy that if it is good....

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

The radar sensor ranges would certainly be speculative

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Timmymagic wrote:How about an unmanned light COD platform for the QE's....we know it will land and takeoff as it did so from the far smaller Hermes back in the day..
Always been a mild obsession of mine this.

Rather than seeing a marinised Islander/Defender as a 'poor man's V-22' or C-2 I imagine it as a fixed wing Lynx or Wildcat, with roughly twice the range, endurance and capacity.

CoD, surveillance and some limited offensive capability in an affordable aircraft with similar space requirements to an F-35b.
The project’s first milestone will be to demonstrate single pilot operations with an autonomous co-pilot providing access to more information and assistance than human perception alone can provide.
Seems a ideal initial target and perhaps capability to introduce for the RN/RAF, before any major modifications or innovations for fully autonomous operation come into play. Optionally manned seems to be the aspired limit of any military transportation for the foreseeable future.

Blue Bear are leading one of the teams involved with LANCA / Mosquito if I remember correctly?

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

rbw91 wrote:Interested in knowing more about this. Do you think it is worth the £65? Is there a forum anywhere to see what others do on it? It’s got good scores on Steam but would rather get a first hand view.

Sorry for the off topic post, but I will buy that if it is good....
I would recommend waiting for it to go on sale. It is rather fun to mess around on but the neccesity to rely on open source information does mean that it doesn't truly represent reality, it more mimics the theoretical reality. Lots of the mechanics have a basis in reality but the trick is knowing what data is being fed into it.

Check out baloogan or stoic frog gaming (same dude) on Youtube, he's got lots of videos of the campaigns he's played. P Gatcomb (Youtube) also has a bunch of excellent tutorials
seaspear wrote:The radar sensor ranges would certainly be speculative
Very speculative. It's based on the radar range equation using open source/assumptions on radar performance to produce actual ranges. This is compounded by treating signatures a bit basically too as it treats everything as a box. Your signature is the same head-on as it is at 30deg off centre which isn't the case, but it's not really a problem the devs could accurately represent without either supplying (or the user supplying) pretty detailed signature information which is a bit of a bridge too far

I've messed around with CSG21 movements passing through the SCS and emulated how a PLAAF strike may end up going and it's been rather fun but it doesn't tell us anything more than we already expect (more cells on Type 45 pls)

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

A model of HMS Queen Elizabeth was at a virtual cabinet meeting with the Home Secretary today.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The UK model fleet is dwarfed by Russia's. :mrgreen:

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

SKB wrote:The UK model fleet is dwarfed by Russia's. :mrgreen:
Now Now didn't we make 100 or so type 31 a few months back

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

We know the QE will be back out at sea in the spring but do we have any update on the POW?

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Ditto! (As for R08)! :mrgreen:

xav

Post by xav »

HMS Queen Elizabeth’s Indo Pacific Deployment To Boost UK-Japan Cooperation
Defence Secretary Ben Wallace and Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab discussed the deployment of HMS Queen Elizabeth during the “2+2” virtual meeting with their respective Japanese counterparts, Ministers Nobuo Kishi and Toshimitsu Motegi.

CSG21, led by UK aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth, will herald a new era for UK-Japan defence and security cooperation, providing opportunities for the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy and their respective Japanese counterparts to operate together and support opportunities for future collaboration, including on the F35 and Amphibious programmes.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... operation/

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Jdam wrote:We know the QE will be back out at sea in the spring but do we have any update on the POW?
PWLS is due out in spring as well I believe.
A nice email was sent out to crew, and was permitted to be forwarded to family, by the Commander confirming this and had quite a bit more info, sadly not for public copy and pasting though. Nipper has just completed his containment duty and is back on this weekend for gangway duty, feeling a bit happier after reading the info from his Capt.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Totally understandable and I wouldn't want you to release any more than that, just hearing the nipper is ok and the POW is set to sail in the spring is all is all the good news I need :thumbup:

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Could they both go out together :clap: ( That would a sight to see :D )

Is HMS QE heading of for training before the deployment, maybe md aprill ? Rotary trials for HMS POW soon aswell....Exciting few months ahead :D

Wrekin1410

Post by Wrekin1410 »

Some more news on CSG21

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

The Aussies might also get involved. :clap:

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

I still got my fingers crossed for an official meet up with the CdeG somewhere in the med aswell.....the more the merrier :D

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

PhillyJ wrote:The Aussies might also get involved.
Maybe I’ll get my wish of QNLZ and Canberra in a fleet together
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

To simulate an assault on an unoccupied island in the SCS? :mrgreen:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Caribbean wrote:
PhillyJ wrote:The Aussies might also get involved.
Maybe I’ll get my wish of QNLZ and Canberra in a fleet together
Not quite: the Royal Australian Navy will send a warship to join HMS Queen Elizabeth Carrier Strike Group and the Australian ship will rendezvous with the group in Singapore.

The strike group will sail via the critical Malacca Strait and probably transit through the contested South China Sea. Australia will join American, Japanese and Dutch forces that have already announced their involvement.

- Australian Financial Review says
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Remind me when the Scottish elections are?!? :shh:

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

I’m sure someone will be able to provide a list of “Target Seats”. :mrgreen:

inch

Post by inch »

Just a quick one friends ,has anybody heard when the next qe documentaries that have supposed to be filmed be airing ? Thanks in advance

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

inch wrote:
It would seem unlikely that QE's planned deployment to Asia, her first as a proper blue water carrier group, would go undocumented by the media. Perhaps a future third series of Britain's Biggest Warship would cover it, but I haven't even heard of a third series being talked about.