Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
benny14
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by benny14 »

Was just taking another look at the "Delivering Carrier Strike" from this year and saw that the MOD was plannning on closing Portsmouth Naval base until it was decided that the carriers would be based there. Pretty shocking that was even an option.

"The Department had intended to close Portsmouth Naval Base, so had not invested in infrastructure there for many years. It subsequently decided to base its new carriers there. This means the base needs significant upgrades. The Department has prioritized infrastructure work to ensure the base can accommodate the first carrier, but work will be ongoing even after HMS Queen Elizabeth arrives.

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploa ... Strike.pdf - Page 37

indeid

Post by indeid »

benny14 wrote:Was just taking another look at the "Delivering Carrier Strike" from this year and saw that the MOD was plannning on closing Portsmouth Naval base until it was decided that the carriers would be based there. Pretty shocking that was even an option
We’ve been scrimping and saving in infrastructure investment for years, when called out on it ‘basing reviews’ usually get the blame. Then you end up with repeated expensive short term fixes instead of spending the money from the off. The amount of time I’ve been without heating or hot water With no fix in sight suggests a permanent review at DIO!

There may have been an option written, as there are for loads of things, but I bet the real reason is just a lack management. Even the base commander doesn’t get a massive say on what DIO are up to.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Ron5 wrote:The Japanese could put steam cats on a modified Izumo and fly Phantoms?

Srsly?
Nothing stopping them either :lol:

After all you guys did it with Midway class

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

R686 wrote:
Ron5 wrote:The Japanese could put steam cats on a modified Izumo and fly Phantoms?
Srsly?
I don't think Japan will get a CATOBAR carrier. We all know it is very expensive. Also we are confronting PLA's hundred of cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, and land-based Suhois. No extra money to spend on assets which is vulnerable to attack from these huge amount of anti-ship missiles. We are buying F35A, and locating them on the ground will be much more cheap, effective, and attack-tolerant.

CV is too much a HVU for Japan, I guess.

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:
R686 wrote:
Srsly?
I don't think Japan will get a CATOBAR carrier. We all know it is very expensive. Also we are confronting PLA's hundred of cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, and land-based Suhois. No extra money to spend on assets which is vulnerable to attack from these huge amount of anti-ship missiles. We are buying F35A, and locating them on the ground will be much more cheap, effective, and attack-tolerant.

CV is too much a HVU for Japan, I guess.
Donald do you think Japan will ever modify the Izumo class by heat treating the deck, add a ski jump and so on to allow F35B use and purchase a small number a couple of dozen or so ?

inch

Post by inch »

I think your all right ,think only uk ever going to have a qe design unless usmc absolutely love the class after operating with the rn and just gots to have one of those pesky carriers :clap: even tho they already got their own great assets

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

donald_of_tokyo wrote: I don't think Japan will get a CATOBAR carrier.
I don't think they will go down that route either, my post was to illustrate that indeed if the JMSDF wanted to go down that route she already has a number of enabler needed for such an endeavor.
donald_of_tokyo wrote: Also we are confronting PLA's hundred of cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, and land-based Suhois. No extra money to spend on assets which is vulnerable to attack from these huge amount of anti-ship missiles.
Well actully it's for those very reasons a large strike carrier would be in Japanese interest, it's mobile and negates a lot of the problem being tied to a fixed position.

It's not easy finding a CBG in the deep blue unlike a fixed base infrastructure.
donald_of_tokyo wrote: We are buying F35A, and locating them on the ground will be much more cheap, effective, and attack-tolerant.
Yes was awere the Phantoms were being replaced by F35A's, yes the infrastructure maintenance is less but it's still there, the price differential in running a fixed base would consume a considerable amount of expence much like a carrier would.

donald_of_tokyo wrote: CV is too much a HVU for Japan, I guess.
And the Izumo class & Hyuga are not?

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Has japan a real need for a "blue water" navy? I could quite easily see them going down the F35b route on the Izumo class ( much like the American marines are doing, or invicibles with seaharriers did ) to protect their chain of islands, 4 x smallish carriers have got to be taking up a lot of resources already, let alone a new class,

I would really love it though if they could justify going down the CATOBAR QEC route though with F35c & hawkeyes...

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

R686 wrote:

Srsly?

Yeah and the QE is just a modified Invincible. Jeesh.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

QEC Eye in the SKY wrote:

:D :D :D
No jokes about British dental work. No jokes. Please no jokes. They're so sensitive about it.

Smokey
Cyprus

Post by Smokey »

BBC reporting the leak, too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42406138

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Ron5 wrote:
Yeah and the QE is just a modified Invincible. Jeesh.
Not comparing it from an invincable class to QE,.........I'm comparing Izumo to the SCB-125 program

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

Typical UK newspapers, all ways ripping on the MOD.

It is clearly stated that the defect with the propeller shaft seal was identified during sea trials and it was not deemed serious enough to stop her been commissioned. They have said that the issue will be fixed in Portsmouth before it starts trials again early next year and will be covered by the contractor due to it been a preexisting issue.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

While obviously a problem 200 litres an hour will easily be handled by the ships pumps. And as the article suggests will be fixed in port.

albedo
United Kingdom

Post by albedo »

bobp wrote:While obviously a problem 200 litres an hour will easily be handled by the ships pumps.
TBH that doesn't actually sound like very much, proportionately - 1-2 average baths an hour - though I guess there's a concern that it could get worse. Presumably there's often at least a small amount of leakage at the seal?

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Did I see right that there's now talk about moving the trident cost out of the core budget again ?

Will they try to take the funding away with it though so either way the RN and MOD gets screwed ?

If it's true I hope they don't use it as an exuse to not increase over all funding, the budget really needs to be increased to 2.5% minimum in my eyes.

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

Jake1992 wrote:

Will they try to take the funding away with it though so either way the RN and MOD gets screwed ? .
It was on Save the Royal Navy’s twitter page this morning, I didn’t see any source attached but they said that the budget would also be removed from the MoD if Trident was removed

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

Talking of twitter, no one go near it! I had no idea there were so many naval architects and defence analysts out there, they’re all drawing attention to the fact that that bath tub size leak that’s being pumped out and was found during sea trials could actually have sunk the Titanic! Plus they’re pointing out that those 14 F-35s that we’ve taken delivery of aren’t really real because after all it has no planes.. Christ who let the cat out of the bag!? :wtf:

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

CameronPerson wrote:
Jake1992 wrote:

Will they try to take the funding away with it though so either way the RN and MOD gets screwed ? .
It was on Save the Royal Navy’s twitter page this morning, I didn’t see any source attached but they said that the budget would also be removed from the MoD if Trident was removed
The essence of the Guardian story was that the budget would NOT be removed from the MoD and the Treasury would pay for Trident out of their own funds. So a net add to defense spending.

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Ron5 wrote:
CameronPerson wrote:
Jake1992 wrote:

The essence of the Guardian story was that the budget would NOT be removed from the MoD and the Treasury would pay for Trident out of their own funds. So a net add to defense spending.
I hope it is the later as when the good old Mr Osborn :D added trident to the core budget he didn't transfer the funds with the responsability so it would be extremely unfair and backhanded of the treasurey if they took funding away that they never gave

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

I here this a lot around here, but is that actually what happened? Others say it has always been part of the budget.....
@LandSharkUK