Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
abc123
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by abc123 »

RichardIC wrote:
PhillyJ wrote:Why's that then?

It just doesn't justify having two carriers at sea together. And when one does go to sea 8-12 aircraft is probably the standard fixed wing component (unless we beg the USMC to come out to play which imho is a national embarrassment anyway).

The QLZs have been built around the F-35. They don't make sense in any other context.

On the subject of the USMC, if I were the Biden administration I'd be right royally pissed off just now.

The UK bailing at 48 is a really bad look for UK-US relations. It makes us appear a really unreliable ally.
:thumbup:
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

RichardIC wrote:
Poiuytrewq wrote:Does the same apply to the US if they end up doing the same?
There's a difference between doing it to yourself for your own reasons and having it inflicted by a third party. The fact is, if we jump when the IR is published next week, we jump first.
Poiuytrewq wrote:If the Fleet Air Arm end up with 50 to 60 F35's and the RAF concentrate on Tempest is it really a bad outcome?
There's no indication anywhere that the UK F-35B will become Royal Navy assets. And the RAF is free to concentrate on Tempest if they like but they will be fully aware that Tempest is currently a million miles, many ££ Billions, and well over a decade from anything that's going to be remotely deployable.

The single most dystopian thing about the article in the Sunday Times was when it described the Tempest as being "built in Lancashire". You can search Lancashire with a fine-tooth comb and you won't find Tempest being built.
Poiuytrewq wrote:I think it's pretty clear that 138 was never going to happen.
We've all known that since before 2010.
:thumbup:

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Hmm just wondering, remember during WWII when towns/counties would hold various events to pay for a Spitfire to then have the name on the aircraft...have the treasury thought about this to afford more F35B'S?!? :lolno:

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Think i will start a crowd funder to officially name one DAVE B :lol:

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

How about another crowd funded to display the words ROYAL NAVY?
It just might give some of the politicians a nudge in the right direction! :mrgreen:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Royal Navy) 15th March 2021
HMS Queen Elizabeth has sailed up the Clyde estuary to the newly refurbished Northern Ammunition Jetty (NAJ) at Glen Mallan on Loch Long
@02:54 - SD Tempest made the trip up too!

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

SKB wrote:@02:54 - SD Tempest made the trip up too!
It says that Tempest has come up to provide Aircraft Carrier docking expertise, presumably as its the first time in Glen Mallan. But is SD Tempest a single point of failure at the moment? Are the rest of the tugs able to handle the QE Class on their own? Or are we going to constantly see Tempest moving up and down from Glen Mallan, Rosyth and Portsmouth throughout the ships lives?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Jim Ramsay) 16th March 2021
Check out the armaments being loaded onto our aircraft carrier at the Glen Mallon facility on Loch Long

andrew98
United Kingdom

Post by andrew98 »

Somewhat surprised you can get so close, unless the person filming has some kind of access pass. Looks like it would be quite simple to drive a very large VBIED in and put a carrier out of commission / make it a TCL.
:shock:

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Now imagine if someone flew a drone and camera through the hangar bay for a lap before leaving lol
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/vid ... iral-video

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Royal Navy) 20th March 2021
On 20th March the aircraft carrier left the Northen Ammunition Jetty at Glen Mallen after spending a week alongside loading munitions.

(Argyll Sea Glass) 20th March 2021
Aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth leaving Loch Long in Argyll Scotland after visiting Glen Mallan

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

From the Telegraph today ...
Aircraft carrier tech offered to South Korea as Royal Navy extends horizons

Babcock, BAE and Thales set to export designs to south-east Asian nation as UK seeks deals after construction of £3bn ships
By Alan Tovey, Industry Editor 21 March 2021 • 5:00am

Technology from the Royal Navy’s new aircraft carriers is being offered to South Korea as the country beefs up its military.

Advanced systems and designs developed by the “carrier alliance” of Babcock, BAE Systems and Thales to deliver the UK’s two Queen Elizabeth-class vessels could be exported to the south-east Asian nation as the UK steps up efforts to reap the financial benefits of constructing the 65,000-tonne ships. The two ships will cost taxpayers about £6.5bn.

Industry sources said officials from the Department for International Trade have begun informal discussions with Korean counterparts about areas of technology the country could be interested in. Any deal would have to meet strict controls designed to protect UK national security.

However, in January Defence Secretary Ben Wallace spoke with his Seoul counterpart about closer co-operation on military matters.

In 2019, Korea announced a 290 trillion won (£180bn) defence spending spree over five years that included adding an aircraft carrier capable of handling F-35B jets, though it envisaged a smaller vessel than the Queen Elizabeth class, which also operates advanced fighter jets.

The Royal Navy carriers have pioneered automated systems which reduce the number of crew they need, making them more efficient.

One such invention is a highly mechanised weapons handling system, which lifts bombs and missiles from arsenals deep inside the ship up to the flight deck.

Developments like this mean the Queen Elizabeth and her sister ship Prince of Wales have crews of just 700 to operate them, rising to 1,600 when the air wing is included.

By comparison, the US Nimitz-class carriers require 3,000 sailors to get under way and a further 1,800 to operate their aircraft.

Peter Sandeman, director of analyst group Navy Lookout, said: “A proposal has been floating around of a scaled-down carrier using the twin-island design from the Queen Elizabeth.

“The new technology in the Navy’s new carriers, like the ammunition handling, aircraft lifts, the electric power system, is what Korea is interested in as that’s the really hard stuff.”

Exporting carrier technology would be a further boost for the UK, after BAE secured deals with Australia and Canada for their navies to build new frigates based on the Type 26 ships currently under construction at the company’s Scottish shipyards.

Mr Sandeman added: “There’s definitely a small-scale revival going on in the UK’s naval industry.”

A Government spokesperson said: “The United Kingdom and South Korea have an important defence and security relationship. Our Indo-Pacific tilt will provide further areas for cooperation.”

inch

Post by inch »

If we could just get a few other Indo-Pacific countries interested in the carrier Tech or t31-2 frigates to achieve a signing on the dotted line ,that's the hard bit as always,alot of stiff competition out there and good kit also ,but hey fingers crossed as always

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Seems that QNLZ has Pompey revs on as she is due home tomorrow about 1730 according to QHM, I may have a perfect view of her arrival!

As some of you may remember, I was made redundant from my IT career in Sept, I can confirm that after 6 months of home DIY and Schooling my 10 yr old during lockdown from tomorrow I am going back to college thanks to a govt retraining scheme due to Covid.

I will be learning traditional wooden boat building techniques with the International Boatbuilding Training College at Boathouse Nbr4 in the historic dockyard Pompey, a big change to be fair and somewhat apprehensive being an old dog who is trying to learn a new trade!

9-5, 5 days a week, haven't done that for many years due to flexi time and working from home so will be a culture shock I'm sure.

Sorry for off topic, but it means my updates may be less than normal (not that they are immense anyhow) although benefit may be that I can meet up with nipper for lunch when possible...he is happier now that he has his P8 GPMG position back after the latest crew rotation.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QE confirmed for return home at 17:30 Monday 22nd March 2021.
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/portsm ... 22/03/2021

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

PhillyJ wrote:Seems that QNLZ has Pompey revs on as she is due home tomorrow about 1730 according to QHM, I may have a perfect view of her arrival!

As some of you may remember, I was made redundant from my IT career in Sept, I can confirm that after 6 months of home DIY and Schooling my 10 yr old during lockdown from tomorrow I am going back to college thanks to a govt retraining scheme due to Covid.

I will be learning traditional wooden boat building techniques with the International Boatbuilding Training College at Boathouse Nbr4 in the historic dockyard Pompey, a big change to be fair and somewhat apprehensive being an old dog who is trying to learn a new trade!

9-5, 5 days a week, haven't done that for many years due to flexi time and working from home so will be a culture shock I'm sure.

Sorry for off topic, but it means my updates may be less than normal (not that they are immense anyhow) although benefit may be that I can meet up with nipper for lunch when possible...he is happier now that he has his P8 GPMG position back after the latest crew rotation.
Congratulations on your new direction ! hope you enjoy it :D 'tis always nerve racking doing something new but i'm sure after the first week of nerves you will have a great time :thumbup:

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

We're going to want to see pictures of any boats you work on!! Nothing prettier in the world than a wooden boat.

andrew98
United Kingdom

Post by andrew98 »

Ron5 wrote:We're going to want to see pictures of any boats you work on!! Nothing prettier in the world than a wooden boat.
How about two wooden boats?

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

PhillyJ wrote:S my IT career i
I will be learning traditional wooden boat building techniques
Quite a big career change. And a big challenge. All the best.

Care to explain why did you choose exactly that?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

* deleted *

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

According to the RN website following the announcement today:
Both aircraft carriers will be operated simultaneously. More F-35 jets will be bought to deliver carrier strike.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Some "new" video of QE's stay and departure from Loch Long, uploaded today.

(CDF Images) 22nd March 2021

Roberto

Post by Roberto »

SKB wrote:Some "new" video of QE's stay and departure from Loch Long, uploaded today.

(CDF Images) 22nd March 2021
I really enjoyed that. Good effort Colin. Thank you.