Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

Just to let you all know....POW FWD Island is sitting at the front of No.1 dock just next to the starboard bow. Basically in the same place QE's was, for all of us who were lucky enough to visit her that day.

TDL
United Kingdom

Post by TDL »

Any news when forward island will be lifted onto POW?

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Will they lift the island before or after LB04 is slid into place?

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Most likely before, the sponson that supports it looks like it will be welded in place long before LB04 arrives.

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

I can reveal the forward island's going on today. I used Twitter :)

Jessie
United Kingdom

Post by Jessie »

Could someone please clarify something that's been driving me nuts for a while and to which I can't find a conclusive answer? Are these carriers 280m or 284m In Length?

Secondly, a little off topic I know, but still on the subject of carriers: Dessertwo, or anyone else in the know ;) , I was just wondering why USS Forrestal (CV59) and USS Saratoga (CV60) were so different when it came to the size of their flight decks considering they were the same class of carrier? From the photos I've seen, found here: http://www.murdoconline.net/archives/5518.html Forrestal seems quite a bit larger.

Jessie
United Kingdom

Post by Jessie »

-Eddie- wrote:I can reveal the forward island's going on today. I used Twitter :)

Wow, she's coming along so quickly!

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

They're really motoring with the PoW build.

Just to be able to shut my SNP loathing father up, there's nothing they can do to delay the builds, is there?

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

SDL wrote:Just to be able to shut my SNP loathing father up, there's nothing they can do to delay the builds, is there?
I can't say I'm familiar with industrial law but from a political standpoint, absolutely nothing. The Tories can easily outvote them if they try anything in Parliament, and if they do that it'll be widely publicised with the SNP being accused of putting people's jobs and defence at severe risk.

Now what we need to watch for is the Tories ditching one of the carriers after the Strategic Defence and [Spending] Review. What they said last year matters not a bit to Cameron as this will be his last five years. However he has such a small majority that a backbench rebellion might force him to call another election. /politics

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

-Eddie- wrote: Now what we need to watch for is the Tories ditching one of the carriers after the Strategic Defence and [Spending] Review. What they said last year matters not a bit to Cameron as this will be his last five years. However he has such a small majority that a backbench rebellion might force him to call another election. /politics
I think we can be reasonably sure of getting both.
The armed forces should benefit from a great deal of stability from the result, which is exactly whats needed. I think we can be 99% confident of 2 carriers and 4 successor submarines, but for now that's all I'm willing to bet on.

seems like POW is coming along very well, a nice example of economies of scale. Lets get a 3rd!
@LandSharkUK

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Thanks Eddie, I expected there was nothing they can do but it's good to be able to (hopefully) shut him up about it.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

-Eddie- wrote:Now what we need to watch for is the Tories ditching one of the carriers after the Strategic Defence and [Spending] Review. What they said last year matters not a bit to Cameron as this will be his last five years. However he has such a small majority that a backbench rebellion might force him to call another election. /politics
I think that it's unlikely that the SNP will do anything to delay or prevent completion of the carriers simply because it would give the MoD cause for concern about the prospect of Holyrood intervention in the construction of Type 26 on the Clyde.

As for whether both carriers will enter service, I certainly hope so. Though I worry that they might keep one in extended readiness and try and see if they can sell it, otherwise they'll do with them much as they have with Albion and Bulwark.

I don't think he'll leave until after the EU referendum simply because if he loses his position will be untenable and if he wins it'll give him the chance to leave on a personal high note and his departure will also remove a lot of the eagerness for recriminations from the euro-sceptic wing of the party.

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

shark bait wrote:I think we can be reasonably sure of getting both.
The armed forces should benefit from a great deal of stability from the result, which is exactly whats needed. I think we can be 99% confident of 2 carriers and 4 successor submarines, but for now that's all I'm willing to bet on.
I'd agree with you as far as Trident, but that's all I'd bet on. Dave has shown himself to be a particularly slippery customer when it comes to politics, and I've no doubt he'll make Sturgeon look like an amateur.
Pseudo wrote:I think that it's unlikely that the SNP will do anything to delay or prevent completion of the carriers simply because it would give the MoD cause for concern about construction of Type 26 on the Clyde.
I hadn't considered the Type 26, but as I said it's very doubtful the SNP will meddle with Scottish jobs as it would undermine their 'Party of the people' spiel
Pseudo wrote:I don't think he'll leave until after the EU referendum simply because if he loses his position will be untenable and if he wins it'll give him the chance to leave on a personal high note and his departure will also remove a lot of the eagerness for recriminations from the euro-sceptic wing of the party.
Him wanting to call and election and being forced to are separate things. What I was saying is his backbench support will hold, but only as long as he appeases them. Defence should consider itself lucky to at least have backbench MPs who support them and would be ready to sink Cameron's government (by way of voting against Conservative motions) if it meant preserving the military capability we have left.

But hooray, the second carrier is coming along nicely and we should see HMS Queen Elizabeth leave the dockside in around six months :shock:

Coyote850

Post by Coyote850 »

Can't wait to see QE, PoW and our new Ford class working together, will be a sight to behold.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

-Eddie- wrote:
Pseudo wrote:I don't think he'll leave until after the EU referendum simply because if he loses his position will beuntenable and if he wins it'll give him the chance to leave on a personal high note and his departure will also remove a lot of the eagerness for recriminations from the euro-sceptic wing of the party.
Him wanting to call and election and being forced to are separate things. What I was saying is his backbench support will hold, but only as long as he appeases them. Defence should consider itself lucky to at least have backbench MPs who support them and would be ready to sink Cameron's government (by way of voting against Conservative motions) if it meant preserving the military capability we have left.

Unless he repeals the fixed term parliaments act it'll be very difficult for an election to be called. Either their would have to be a vote of no confidence in the government, which would mean Tory MP's voting against their own government in a confidence motion. Or a vote for an election passed by a majority of two thirds of all MP's, not just those present at the vote.

On the first option, it could be used as a decapitation strategy since after the vote of no confidence there is a period of fourteen days in which to have a vote of confidence in a new government. Though since Cameron has already said he won't be fighting the next election, I suspect that he'll have done a deal with the 1922 committee to keep the backbenchers in line in return for him going after the referendum and putting forward a few pieces of legislation that they're eager to see.

Old RN
South Africa

Post by Old RN »

I know it is off topic but given there is no refuelling of the successor submarines I would rather see 3 SSBNs (still maintaining the continuous patrol at sea) and two more Astute's (making 9).

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Is that a bit of the ramp in place or have they put another piece of the ship on the flight deck :?:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

That actually might be a bit of ramp! :shock: According to my trusty diagram, half the length of the ramp could (theoretically) be fitted to the existing ship if needed. But I would really like to see a better photo and angle of it. Hopefully, we'll get one when the Forward Island is in place.

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

Jdam wrote:Is that a bit of the ramp in place or have they put another piece of the ship on the flight deck :?:
Good spot, seems about the right place and size to be a piece. You'd have thought they'd wait for the rest of the front blocks to be added first.

Btw I'm going to stop talking politics in this thread, it's causing a bit of drift.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

A slightly larger pic from the ACA twitter.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

*post deleted*

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Old RN wrote:I know it is off topic but given there is no refuelling of the successor submarines I would rather see 3 SSBNs (still maintaining the continuous patrol at sea) and two more Astute's (making 9).
I think its quite possible. Ive put my reply in the astute section http://ukdefenceforum.net/viewtopic.php ... p=989#p989
@LandSharkUK

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

SKB wrote:I wasn't certain if the section of "ramp" seen in the photo belongs in that area (it looks too steep and high)
It does look too high for that location and also too far away from the port edge as well.
The angle the photo was taken can be misleading the eye!

The build is seriously cracking on at a phenomenal pace. Well done to those involved!

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

swoop wrote:
SKB wrote:I wasn't certain if the section of "ramp" seen in the photo belongs in that area (it looks too steep and high)
It does look too high for that location and also too far away from the port edge as well.

The build is seriously cracking on at a phenomenal pace. Well done to those involved!
I think it is the ramp but it's just parked there prior to fitting.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:
swoop wrote:

I think it is the ramp but it's just parked there prior to fitting.
You've got to love the exacting shipbuilding process that would allow for the fitting ramp to the island to be fitted before the island is in place.