UK Defence Forum

News, History, Discussions and Debates on UK Defence.

Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
inch

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Postby inch » 18 Nov 2019, 09:08

Cheers skb not very good with attaching things and computers ,nice one

PhillyJ

Postby PhillyJ » 18 Nov 2019, 10:08

inch wrote:Just reading latest article on navylookout and it said captain Houston revealed that hmsplws is slightly longer wider and heavier than hmsqe ,now going back sometime when captain Jerry Kyd was talking to media just about set off from the Clyde she said she was 75mts wide not 73mts if anybody can remember or saw it ,and I'm guessing hmsplws is 75mts wide not 73m like hmsqe and the famous 284mts long not 280m as people kept reading 2 differing length thru the years ,does anybody else agree ? But weight difference I've got no clue on that one and how much
Noted that, he also said they broke QNLZ speed record, not sure if that's the official one or the other! "Captain Houston revealed that PWLS is very slightly longer, wider and heavier than QNLZ and also achieved a higher top speed than her sister during the trials. "

PhillyJ

Postby PhillyJ » 18 Nov 2019, 10:11

inch wrote:See that the national TV news media can't even be arsed to cover it ,well done
I read somewhere that it's because of the upcoming election and Purdah or something, could be a load of BS and they just couldn't be bothered!

RichardIC

Postby RichardIC » 18 Nov 2019, 11:05

PhillyJ wrote:I read somewhere that it's because of the upcoming election and Purdah or something, could be a load of BS and they just couldn't be bothered!

Purdah applies to public bodies. It has absolutely no impact on the media, including the BBC.

inch

Postby inch » 18 Nov 2019, 11:49

I wonder if we ever get to find out the true length , width and weight of hmsplws and by how much difference between the 2 of class .it might only be as low as 25 mm in the length or width and that could class as slightly longer and wider .hope it's not too much of a critical secret and you would have to be shot at dawn for this info

Timmymagic

Postby Timmymagic » 18 Nov 2019, 12:03

RichardIC wrote:Purdah applies to public bodies. It has absolutely no impact on the media, including the BBC.

Lots of people confused around purdah and the Type 31 contract signing as well. Purdah doesn't mean government ceases, it just means announcements and politically contentious decisions are put in abeyance. Signing a contract and not announcing it is in fact perfectly fine. Someone letting the cat out of the bag on it isn't though...

RichardIC

Postby RichardIC » 18 Nov 2019, 12:56

Timmymagic wrote:Lots of people confused around purdah and the Type 31 contract signing as well. Purdah doesn't mean government ceases, it just means announcements and politically contentious decisions are put in abeyance. Signing a contract and not announcing it is in fact perfectly fine. Someone letting the cat out of the bag on it isn't though...

This is totally off topic now, but Babcock had to make an announcement as it's a publicly listed company, and MoD was aware of that.

Timmymagic

Postby Timmymagic » 18 Nov 2019, 13:28

PhillyJ wrote:and also achieved a higher top speed than her sister during the trials

Given that there will be won't be a massive difference between the 2. Is the opinion that this will either be due to a little more confidence in the propulsion now given the trials on both ships, better conditions for a full power run, less time that PoW has spent in the water or a combination of factors? Bragging rights?

PhillyJ

Postby PhillyJ » 18 Nov 2019, 13:35

Timmymagic wrote:
PhillyJ wrote:and also achieved a higher top speed than her sister during the trials

Given that there will be won't be a massive difference between the 2. Is the opinion that this will either be due to a little more confidence in the propulsion now given the trials on both ships, better conditions for a full power run, less time that PoW has spent in the water or a combination of factors? Bragging rights?
Probably a combination of all those I guess, my nipper said that the Capt made an announcement to all ships crew that it might have been noted we were travelling at speed, apparently it went along the lines of 'we all want to get home as soon as possible' :lol:

SKB

Postby SKB » 18 Nov 2019, 13:56

Having seen both ships in person myself now, they do not seem noticibly bigger or smaller than each other, but I haven't seen them both together - yet.

I've known for certain from my own measurments that QE is 280m long and 73m wide. (Above water-line)

So I've also done a measurement of PoW from an aerial photo of her at Rosyth J/K berth. I've found that PoW is:

Length: 280m
Width: 73m

....which is exactly the same length and width as the QE - to the centimetre.

Verdict: Myth Busted!

inch

Postby inch » 18 Nov 2019, 15:54

AHH well captain Houston was either mis lead or mis informed , fair enough no probs

SKB

Postby SKB » 18 Nov 2019, 22:14

(NavyLookout) 18th November 2019
Video compliation - On the Princess Royal Jetty and onboard HMS Prince of Wales on the day she first arrived in her home port. More: https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/up-clo ... ortsmouth/

Bring Deeps

Postby Bring Deeps » 19 Nov 2019, 14:52

Looks like HMSQNLZ is on the move according to AIS.

Poiuytrewq

Postby Poiuytrewq » 19 Nov 2019, 21:21

Maybe we will see a third QE after all :D
https://www.doonited.in/britain-offers- ... -to-india/

inch

Postby inch » 19 Nov 2019, 22:31

Not this old chestnut again ,I don't doubt that the design has been offered to India and would do them just fine but we all kinda know India isn't going to go for it .it's just going to do the rounds yet again in another 7-8 months time bla bla bla

PhillyJ

Postby PhillyJ » 20 Nov 2019, 07:42

Bring Deeps wrote:Looks like HMSQNLZ is on the move according to AIS.
She's moved on up to Annapolis for a diplomatic visit.

PhillyJ

Postby PhillyJ » 20 Nov 2019, 07:43

My lad got called back to ship last night from his leave, I guess that's a drawback of living so close to base! Apparently they are doing a cold move at some point this morning, he wasn't best pleased! :lol:

SKB

Postby SKB » 20 Nov 2019, 09:53

10:00 - HMS Prince of Wales is being moved from Princess Royal Jetty to Victory Jetty, bows north.
HMS Warrior webcam: https://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/warrior-webcam

PhillyJ

Postby PhillyJ » 20 Nov 2019, 09:58

SKB wrote:10:00 - HMS Prince of Wales being moved from Princess Royal Jetty to Victory Jetty, bows north.
HMS Warrior webcam: https://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/warr ... gK9EfD_BwE
Certainly is. 8-)

SKB

Postby SKB » 20 Nov 2019, 10:42

PoW VJ 20Nov2019.jpg

PoW VJ2 20Nov2019.png

PoW now at Victory Jetty.

(Dave Hartley @dhartley_NMRN)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ron5

Postby Ron5 » 20 Nov 2019, 13:59

Seems a pointless exercise. Anyone know why?

SKB

Postby SKB » 20 Nov 2019, 14:05

1. To try out Victory Jetty's newly upgraded and deepened berth, and its new shore mains electrical power pantograph, not yet used.
2. Because QE's imminent arrival will require the larger primary jetty space at PRJ for family reunions, unloading/reloading etc than the limited smaller secondary berth space at Victory Jetty can provide.
3. Because QE "belongs" at Princess Royal Jetty as she is the active commissioned carrier requiring the larger primary jetty.
4. Because it gives tourists something modern and big to look at and compare with HMS Victory, Mary Rose, and M33 - all near Victory Jetty - while PoW is not being used.
5. Because the nearest pubs and chippy are closer to Victory Jetty than they are to Princess Royal Jetty. :mrgreen:

Trivia:
Before HMS Victory was put into her permanent drydock no.2 home in 1922, the area of today's Victory Jetty was previously named Pitch House Jetty and King's Steps Jetty.

PhillyJ

Postby PhillyJ » 20 Nov 2019, 15:12

SKB wrote:5. Because the nearest pubs and chippy are closer to Victory Jetty than they are to Princess Royal Jetty. :mrgreen:
This is more likely to be the main reason for the crew! There is another point which is why my nipper had to forgo his leave and rush back last night to be on board for the cold move this morning, but he couldn't/wouldn't say what.

cockneyjock1974

Postby cockneyjock1974 » 20 Nov 2019, 15:40

PhillyJ wrote:
SKB wrote:5. Because the nearest pubs and chippy are closer to Victory Jetty than they are to Princess Royal Jetty. :mrgreen:
This is more likely to be the main reason for the crew! There is another point which is why my nipper had to forgo his leave and rush back last night to be on board for the cold move this morning, but he couldn't/wouldn't say what.

Not another bloody lobster pot! ;)

SKB

Postby SKB » 20 Nov 2019, 16:37

Meanwhile, Westlant19's HMS Dragon is in Manhattan NY.
HMS Northumberland is in Boston - next to the USS Constitution.
RFA Tideforce is at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia.

Return to “Royal Navy”