Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
desertswo

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by desertswo »

Ron5 wrote:
Geoff_B wrote:The USMC operated their Harriers off both Ark Royal and Illustrious, and they loved it, but part of that was being able to operate as the primary air group for a change on ships configured for Harrier ops rather than playing 2nd fiddle to helo ops. Pretty sure it was covered in a documentary as they rather liked our bacon butties (and possibly the ward room for a proper drink if allowed).

Pretty sure if a Marine F-35B squadron get a regular stint on a UK QEC it will be treated as a prime posting, although it makes you wonder if they willl be UK based with either the USAF at Lakenheath who are scheduled to get F-35A or the nearby RAF Marham wil the RAF/FAA ?
Damn straight it would (be viewed as a prime posting) although I've never yet met an American that likes bangers let alone mash. British food tastes rather bland to an American set of taste buds. British beer on the other hand ....
You speak of it as if members of the USMC would be "posted" (the term we use is "detailed" and the person who manages our careers is our "detailer.") within this context as individuals who receive an "'atta' boy" for a prior job well done.

While that may well be true for someone being assigned as part of RN ship's company (as Major Kelly, RM was with the USN CVN and airwing), that would not be the case for a USMC squadron chopped to OPCON of the RN. Oh, they would be a "high speed, low drag" bunch alright, but no more so than the Corps views all of their aviation assets as high speed, low drag.

That squadron would have been identified at least a couple of years in advance, and would more than likely have several RN/RM officers posted to its ranks for purposes of familiarizing the Americans with RN SOP, and yes, even aspects of British culture, because trust me when I tell you that the squadron CO would be under strictest orders to not allow his troops to be "ugly Americans," and to the greatest extent possible, blend in with HER MAJESTY'S SHIP'S company. That might present some interesting challenges visual vis-a vis punishment for violations of our Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), as well as British military law, which I will be happy to discuss on the "Ask Desertswo" thread.

Anyway, the two assigned squadrons for QEC and PoW would "work up" for deployment alongside the rest of the RN airwing. Meanwhile, back at the ranch stateside, I suspect two or more other USMC squadrons would receive some "enhanced training" oriented toward operating from the two RN CVs in the "just in case" scenario.
"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . ."

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

To be honest, as our closest ally, I think it is time to say, we have a deck and if you wish to bring some pointy things, then welcome on board.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

jimthelad wrote:To be honest, as our closest ally, I think it is time to say, we have a deck and if you wish to bring some pointy things, then welcome on board.
Agreed
The press would no doubt have a field day dreaming up lines surrounding British taxes paying for American operations. However scratching a bit deeper, I think it would be a mutually beneficial arrangement.
@LandSharkUK

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

shark bait wrote:
jimthelad wrote:To be honest, as our closest ally, I think it is time to say, we have a deck and if you wish to bring some pointy things, then welcome on board.
Agreed
The press would no doubt have a field day dreaming up lines surrounding British taxes paying for American operations. However scratching a bit deeper, I think it would be a mutually beneficial arrangement.
Press might not be any kinder over here - "Latest scandal: Navy has so few ships that Marines have to use Brit carriers".

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

Ron5 wrote:
shark bait wrote:
Agreed
Press might not be any kinder over here - "Latest scandal: Navy has so few ships that Marines have to use Brit carriers".
So long as they aren't saying that we have 20 "carriers." That's when the fecal matter will become one with the vane axial atmospheric agitation device. Frankly, I wouldn't put it past this administration to say just that, and we can cut a few to pay for the latest unconstitutional executive order. :?

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Royal marines release new amphibious assault strategy from HMS Queen Elizabeth deck

@LandSharkUK

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

Where's that meant to have taken place? Certainly not in my manor that's for sure.

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:Where's that meant to have taken place? Certainly not in my manor that's for sure.
Yer root celler, innit? ;)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Could they drive that thing out of the hangar off a fully lowered QEC deck lift (elevator)? :shock:

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

SKB wrote:Could they drive that thing out of the hangar off a fully lowered QEC deck lift (elevator)? :shock:

I rather want to see it take a jump off the ramp!!!!

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

shark bait wrote:Royal marines release new amphibious assault strategy from HMS Queen Elizabeth deck
False alarm. The video description says "Indonesian Marines Assault Amphibious Vehicle jumping into the water from a pier." ;)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

R686 wrote: I rather want to see it take a jump off the ramp!!!!
My thoughts exactly, could get a bit closer to the beach that way. The carriers are perfectly designed for that!
@LandSharkUK

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

desertswo wrote:
cockneyjock1974 wrote:Where's that meant to have taken place? Certainly not in my manor that's for sure.
Yer root celler, innit? ;)
You've watched too much BBC America my friend :lol:

Wrekin1410

Post by Wrekin1410 »

For those who've been expressing an interest the last weeks it seems Artisan has finally been installed.

http://navaltoday.com/2015/10/06/hms-qu ... ar-system/

There are pics but I'm unable to post them from where I am.

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

Wrekin1410 wrote:For those who've been expressing an interest the last weeks it seems Artisan has finally been installed.

http://navaltoday.com/2015/10/06/hms-qu ... ar-system/

There are pics but I'm unable to post them from where I am.
According to BAe we apparently have a new SI unit: Polar Bears (1x Artisan = 1x Adult Polar Bear)! Have to say, that's a new one on me! :roll:

Geoff_B
United Kingdom

Post by Geoff_B »

Nice to see artisan fitted one of the visible signs of QE fitting out although its probably as busy as hive aboard ship and under those covers to get the ship completed.

BTW any news on Block 5 units i know they were moved out of the halls last week but it sounds like we are getting the left overs of that Cyclone this week and its also split the jet stream which may put both the normal sea routes out of action till its worked it course.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Reminder: Live Twitter interview, Captain Simon Petitt of HMS Queen Elizabeth @RoyalNavy on Wed 7 Oct 1400-1500. Send questions. #askQNLZ

https://twitter.com/hashtag/askQNLZ?src=hash

Two people have already enquired about what colour the wardroom carpet is. :lol:
None for about the curtains. Yet. ;)

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

SKB wrote:Reminder: Live Twitter interview, Captain Simon Petitt of HMS Queen Elizabeth @RoyalNavy on Wed 7 Oct 1400-1500. Send questions. #askQNLZ

https://twitter.com/hashtag/askQNLZ?src=hash

Two people have already enquired about what colour the wardroom carpet is. :lol:
None for about the curtains. Yet. ;)
Damn, they've beaten me to it! I did ask about the EMF and starting the MT30s...

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Pymes75 wrote:Damn, they've beaten me to it! I did ask about the EMF and starting the MT30s...
Ask about the curtains? ;)

NO! Actually, ask when they're going to take off the horribly chavvy tattoos from the bow! :lol:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Question:

Answer:

:lol:

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

Q
A

Q
A

Q
A

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Question: "With the huge shortage of senior engineers in all branches can we man 2 carriers and all the new ships & boats." ?

Reintroduction of RN press ganging?! :twisted: