Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
SW1
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by SW1 »

Aethulwulf wrote:Is that an air to air refuelling probe I can see as well? It doesn't look quite right, nor in the right place. So what is it?
It’s flight test equipment, used to get a clean air pressure reading

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Why on earth does it fold that way instead of swinging back like the Sea Kings? Looks daft.

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

Ron5 wrote:Why on earth does it fold that way instead of swinging back like the Sea Kings? Looks daft.
Different centre of balance due to plug and play rather than dedicated airframe as Sea King was.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

More streamlined?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

inch

Post by inch »

So has hmsqe been on a fat diet of lard and put on a few tonnes weighing in at about 75k tonnes now? Thought was about 65- 72 k depending on which measurements it is

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Brasil wrote:So its a rotatory AESA? I have not been able to see anything official stating Artisan 3D is AESA.
Hi Brasil, have a look at this document - the link below should put you into the section on Artisan. There is also some stuff on Sampson as well. It's a bit unclear in places, presumably because some stuff was still "sensitive information" at the time the document was written, but it looks to me like it's a rotating AESA system. Overall an interesting read. as well
http://woottonbridgeiow.org.uk/decca-le ... .php#10.12

Edit - its worth reading the section on the Mesar system, just before the Artisan section - gives a bit more info on the technology involved
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Looking at the picture my guess would be due to the fact they’re using the weapons mounting pylon location any rotation aft may have cause ground clearance issues in the event of a tire deflation and gear strut full compressed condition along with potential clearance issues to the landing gear sponson when fully swung aft. If they had decided to swing fwd it would cover the air stairs door.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Caribbean wrote:...have a look at this document http://woottonbridgeiow.org.uk/decca-le ... .php#10.12

Cheers for that, very interesting read even if I didn't understand all of the jargon. As I've lived in the Pompey area all my life it brings back memories of all the Radar installations upon the top of Portsdown Hill where they were/are tested.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

It seems QE has arrived in Rosyth and passed under the bridges, just need to shoehorn her in to the basin now I guess! Loads of official tweet videos but I have no idea how to paste them here so they show up.

https://twitter.com/HMSQNLZ

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defen ... -1-8875374

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

With the suggestion of getting the Camm system installed is there any advantage and practicality to going a bit further with the Camm-er instead for further range in meeting those threats ,would though like to see the Daring class have its loadout increased

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

inch wrote:So has hmsqe been on a fat diet of lard and put on a few tonnes weighing in at about 75k tonnes now? Thought was about 65- 72 k depending on which measurements it is
Where’d you see that ? I heard nothing of there weight increasing since it went from the pre build figure of 65k to post build figure of around 71k

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Videos (@HMSQnlz Twitter):

Photos:
(Royal Navy)

inch

Post by inch »

Well it was being displayed on this site but has been taken down cos can't find it now ,think was showing yesterday or the day before ? ,been a hard week folks think was a Twitter post but as I said I could be wrong I do tend to be now and again

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

seaspear wrote:With the suggestion of getting the Camm system installed is there any advantage and practicality to going a bit further with the Camm-er instead for further range in meeting those threats ,would though like to see the Daring class have its loadout increased
Are the dimensions of the missile different? I guess the benefit of going with Sea Ceptor is she would use stock of standard missile rather than having a one of a kind missile just for the carriers.

Feels like only yesterday the Queen Elizabeth left for sea tests :shock:

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

After her planned 6 weeks in Rosyth, does any body know if she will be going straight to pick her F35's up and sail for Westland19 or will she have a break in between?

Still eager to see Apache's onboard aswell !!!

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Jim Ramsay) 3 April 2019

inch

Post by inch »

Would make great ship for India definitely no doubt about it,and be good for UK plc even if just for another UK design out there and good relationship between India and UK , would just need Brazil to go for it also and be like Xmas :-)

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

It looks like it’s going into the basin backwards (stern first) suppose it makes sense, might not be able to turn it with POW in there.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QE's AIS is off, but you can make out her position from the tugs around her.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... 22/zoom:16

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

I honestly cannot bring to mind a large aircraft carrier design that has ever been exported as a design for someone else to build due to wanting the design.

That is quite a coup for British design if that goes through, the only large carrier in modern times to achieve an export contract!

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Wow, that Warship is massive!
That gap, not so much.
But as we are first of class and on front of our younger sister for the first time (and because we have to...) we are reversing in.
(@HMSQnlz)

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

RetroSicotte wrote:That is quite a coup for British design if that goes through, the only large carrier in modern times to achieve an export contract!
Fingers crossed. If India were ordering the F35b it would be very likely that a QE class would get the nod but the CATOBAR with EMALS redesign for India is still somewhat unproven. Undoubtedly though, having 2 already in the water will make a massive difference.

Interesting that BAE is taking the lead on what was a Thales/BMT design. It also proves that if HMG does invest in British industry to produce cutting edge designs the rest of the world will be very interested. The T26 is the obvious example. If only HMG had of shown the same commitment and support for British industry in the T31e programme then we might have had a better outcome to look forward too.