Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by RetroSicotte »

Poiuytrewq wrote:Ye of little faith :D
I of broken dreams before!

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

RetroSicotte wrote:
Poiuytrewq wrote:Ye of little faith :D
I of broken dreams before!
I feel your pain...

Personally I think overall things are looking more positive than they have for more than a decade.

Chin up :thumbup:

inch

Post by inch »

I wonder what the indian head of the fleet thinks of the qe class being given a tour with the 1st sea lord? .I know that they had sent out tenders and bae were one of them .do you think they might go for a modified qe class design ?they could do a lot worse ,then again it might not appeal to them at all

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

inch wrote:I wonder what the indian head of the fleet thinks of the qe class being given a tour with the 1st sea lord? .I know that they had sent out tenders and bae were one of them .do you think they might go for a modified qe class design ?they could do a lot worse ,then again it might not appeal to them at all
I was thinking the same for their future IAC 2 ( not even sure how their first one is progressing ) design of 65k tonnes…a modified CATOBAR design...maybe they would buy more Rafales for her.................

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Also better to show buyers around yourself rather than let the estate agent do it. You getter a better price when the sales negotiations begin. One ship barely used, deckor easily changed to suite clients wishes.........

inch

Post by inch »

Yeah but they ain't having qe or pow sw1 lol ,they can build there own just fine but we would definitely sell them the design I'm sure and modify for their own requirements if qe class is anything near what they looking for ? As I said before it might not be to their tastes having 2 islands and a ramp etc when they were looking at a future emals platform ,the size might be too small or 2 big etc or they just want a more conventional looking design?

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Perhaps the Indian navy might be interested in EMCAT for their carrier instead of EMAL

inch

Post by inch »

Or even that seaspear :-), but you get the drift what I mean ,ie not the ideal platform for their future needs,alltho I think personally a qe derivative design has a lot to offer Indian navy ,we have sold type26 design and possibly type 31 why not try qe class ?

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Much of the plans for the Queen Elizabeth class were sold to the French navy ,so a reasonable amount of non critical information should be able to be offered

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

inch wrote: not the ideal platform for their future needs
Abt the right displacement, but at least 20 m too short
- I guess the plan is to have GA's EMALS throwing Mig's :eh: into the sky
- which, after every arrested landing, tend to go out of service as they were originally not ruggerised to take that kind of "punishment"
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Wasn't the original CVF Alpha design longer ? Don't know how difficult/expensive a 20m extension for a new build QEC would be ? would probably also have the benefit of increased hanger size/fuel/stoarage, would actualy like to see one for IAC 2, see what the French could of had.... :lolno: or us brits... :roll: although i am glad we are getting the QEC, just going to take a few years to work upto full capability.

inch

Post by inch »

aye possibly a 175mtr x 33mtr hangar size a 20mtr longer alpha qe design ,would work well with the indian migs or rafale/f18 which ever they went for but in reality we usually find it very hard to sell india our kit/designs nowadays but there is always a chance if we in the running as we are i think.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

But they will be at the front of the line when it comes time to retire the two Carriers in the second half of the century, especially if they actually get around to ordering the F-35.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

inch wrote: in reality we usually find it very hard to sell india our kit/designs nowadays but there is always a chance
which has just gone up as EMALS (for which designs in the 'inners' of the QEs exist) availability for India has been confirmed by the US
- prior to (India) firming on that option, they were ping-ponging between France and Italy for design support
- not to forget that the new French design might also incorporate EMALS... however, that design is still too much in the future tense to be able to reduce risk that India is taking - they have struggled to bring the simpler/ smaller carriers into service
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

inch

Post by inch »

The only thing is that India have a relationship with France in the rafale and possibly with India picking the rafale for their carriers in future which would make sense afterall ,it would definitely put a French design which they might build 2 anyway with German funding (but that's for a different argument lol) that India plays the long game and maybe a 3rd of class built in India who knows ?,yes I agree a French design is along way down the line compared to the qe design but it's going to take India just as long to get it going in reality as past performance has proved becoming more aligned to the French timetable ?plus I think the new French design is going to be a 300 x75 mtr plus design which might suit India also ,who knows ?

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

It seems HMS POW has been testing her emergency escape system, I'm just trying to find out if my nipper got to have a 'slide' or if it was just a test of the equipment and not the process. 8-)

https://twitter.com/smrmoorhouse/status ... 8554944512

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Seems like only yesterday that HMS QE tested hers aswell….

Qwerty
Germany

Post by Qwerty »

PhillyJ wrote:It seems HMS POW has been testing her emergency escape system, I'm just trying to find out if my nipper got to have a 'slide' or if it was just a test of the equipment and not the process. 8-)

https://twitter.com/smrmoorhouse/status ... 8554944512
How many decks have the stokers got to climb before reaching the exit chutes?

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Maybe they could catch a ride on that automated pallet moving thingie.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Depends whether they are at Action Stations, Emergency Stations, Off-watch or elsewhere. :mrgreen:

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

PhillyJ wrote:It seems HMS POW has been testing her emergency escape system, I'm just trying to find out if my nipper got to have a 'slide' or if it was just a test of the equipment and not the process.
On QE they did both at the same time. The cost of the test must be considerable, you can well imagine the manufacturer charging a pretty penny for rolling them back up, revalidating the system and setting it back up, not to mention fishing the detachable doors up from the bottom of the basin and cleaning them up and attaching them again. I'd expect that this all up test will likely be the only ones we ever see of it...hopefully anyway.

cyrilranch
United Kingdom

Post by cyrilranch »

Not really the supplier has prove the escape system works before it is accept by the customer,so all the costs are already budget forby the supplier.
It only costs the customer after the system is accepted and is used let say for training and or proven after x period in service. :thumbup:

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

They also want the Osprey.. we all know that what they want and what they’ll get are two different things

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I suppose that given the high profile of the two ships and who they are named after, if enough questions are raised about their protection by those who should know, something may happen. Bolting on a two or three of the three cell stand alone ExLS modules would give each ship between 36 and 48 Sea Ceptor and these are removable so both carriers could share a pool and only be fitted when needed. Updating the CMS shouldn't be too hard or expensive either. Who knows maybe they could cancel the FLSS and use the money for this instead.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Where on the ship and how would it effect operations ?