RetroSicotte wrote:And even if the Mistrals were put to the side, note that the upcoming French fleet has 15 ASW capable escorts, compared to the UK's 8. And all but two of them using the Captas 4.
They have no problems with ASW.
Not sure. French navy has 15 ASW escorts? Yes and no.
French navy are going to have, 15 escorts
- 2 Horizon with only a hull sonar, normal hull.
- 6 FREMM ASW with CAPTAS-4, quiet hull.
- 2 FREDA AAW/ASW with CAPTAS-4, quiet hull.
- 5 FTI frigate with CAPTAS-4CI, normal hull.
- and 22 Atlantique-2 + 21 NH90 + 3 E-2C
RN will have
- 6 T45 with only a hull sonar, normal hull.
- 8 T26(or T23) with CAPTAS-4, quiet hull.
- 5 T31e, may have no sonar, normal hull.
- and 9 P-8A + 30 Merlin (~6 will be AEW)
On escorts, the only difference is the fact that French FTI has CAPTAS-4CI. If it is important, UK can easily add CAPTAS-4CI to all 6 T45s. Then, it will be equivalent to FTI in ASW.
On airplanes, shortage of MPA is the big problem in UK, but it is not zero now.
On CVTF ASW (which is related to THIS thread), QE CV capable of carrying ~9 ASW-Merlins will be a big advantage to French CVTF. (Mistral may be able to carry some more NH90s, but in that case RN can use the new Littoral Strike Ships and MARS-SSS to add more Merlin). Can this advantage cover the lack of "FTI-equivalent ASW escorts"? I guess yes.
However, RN do not need to "compare" with French MN. If more ASW is needed from operational research (OR) in RN, then UK will be needed to add CAPTAS4-CI to T45, or to T31e (or both).
It is worth discussing.