Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Timmymagic »

Jdam wrote:External Pylons on the F-35.

Do we know if they are conducting weapon releases on the QE trials?
No they won't be. But they will want to undertake tests of the launch and recovery onboard with representative loadouts as part of the trials.

Enigmatically

Post by Enigmatically »

Bring Deeps wrote:A fully operational QNLZ is going to pose some soul searching questions for the people who control the USN budget. Whilst the Nimitz/Ford class is in a league of its own it comes with a hefty price tag and that's not even taking into account the decommissioning costs. Leaving aside understandable pride does the US really need 10 and will it be able to afford 10 indefinitely?
Those questions were posed in rather pointed fashion when we first agreed the design and cost. The USN have been let off the hook a bit by the political stuff (by both major parties) that put the cost up so much.

Think of how cheap they would be if you avoided Labour's delays and the Tories flip-flop AND you were ordering (say) 30. It would be less than 10 CVNs, as would the through life cost.

But has been said the USN worry they would then get dropped back to 10 QECs only. The USMC would love them but the USN would veto it as they are not allowed proper carriers that compete with USN (hence why they are not allowed ski-jump I suspect)

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

Enigmatically wrote: Those questions were posed in rather pointed fashion when we first agreed the design and cost. The USN have been let off the hook a bit by the political stuff (by both major parties) that put the cost up so much.
The US military budget is approaching the point of almost relgious doctrine, any questioning of it or attempts to curtail it is seen as an insult the flag, and the 'heroes and warriors'. If the US political system was a little bit less... insane, then a few CVF style ships in place of a couple of CVNs would perhaps be viable but currently anything other then hurling more money on bigger things is unpatriotic.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Enigmatically wrote: not allowed proper carriers that compete with USN (hence why they are not allowed ski-jump I suspect)
I rather suspect that the above is down to the fact the deck is over-busy; in fact, in the early days (trials) they found it difficult to operate the airwing that the Americas had been designed for
- how (and if) that was rectified I don't think I've seen in print anywhere

The talk about adopting (possibly) the SVRL, for weapons bring back, does not contradict the above as in such situations there would be advance warning of the need (leading to a tidy-up in the positioning of a/c, rotary or otherwise, on the deck 'on the double').
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Enigmatically wrote:Think of how cheap they would be if you avoided Labour's delays and the Tories flip-flop AND you were ordering (say) 30. It would be less than 10 CVNs, as would the through life cost.
Spot on.
It would make a lot of sense for the US to have 8-9 CVN's (Nimitz and Ford, number dependent on the USN aspiration for 11 CVN) specifically for the Pacific (and the inevitable confrontation with China) and save the budget from the 2-3 CVN's not built to purchase 6 CATOBAR CVF for the Atlantic, Med and Indian Ocean. With the 2 QE and CdG thats more than enough to keep the Russian's in their box and deal with any regional issues. Forward basing of a couple of CVF would also be a whole lot easier. A CVF forward based in the 7th Fleet AOR would make a lot of sense. Manning would be the same, the number of aircraft would remain roughly the same. But as you say the costs would be dramatically lower. Newport News will be busy with those Ford Class for decades, a CVF build could spread the love to other shipyards.
Thats a whole lot more presence and combat power for less overall cost...as a result it will never happen

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Timmymagic wrote:a whole lot more presence and combat power for less overall cost...as a result it will never happen
Well, as someone upthread pointed out there are institutional and embedded barriers, but distributed lethality is going to challenge a lot of the thinking
- one consequence is that carriers will be kept further out from coasts

You will still need units that can operate closer. And those units will need responsive air meaning: close by.

The most promising F-35 update would seem to be on the engine side of things. The "B"s will lift more (weapons/ fuel) and will go further with the same fuel. The QEs will be much more punchy (and the whole size category becomes a more sellable concept)
- if we only can afford a meaningful number of planes
- and talk about selling anything to the US; Harrier pulled the trick (being alone in its own category... will history "repeat"?)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Bring Deeps
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Bring Deeps »

-Eddie- wrote:Sea State 6! I wonder if the F-35s are still flying and landing in that?
-Eddie- wrote:Sea State 6! I wonder if the F-35s are still flying and landing in that?

In his well known book 'Sharkey' Ward talks about testing Harrier landings on HMS Invincible in 1981 and the risks involved in landing with the deck moving by 30 feet. It is not clear if that parameter was actually tested. Presumably some of the operations during the Falklands war must have involved similar or possibly worse conditions.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Bring Deeps wrote:A fully operational QNLZ is going to pose some soul searching questions for the people who control the USN budget. Whilst the Nimitz/Ford class is in a league of its own it comes with a hefty price tag and that's not even taking into account the decommissioning costs. Leaving aside understandable pride does the US really need 10 and will it be able to afford 10 indefinitely?
Yes and yes. Nothing better for power projection. QE's are nice but how capable vs a CVN? 50%? Less?

If you are looking for something to break the US budget, it is not the carriers. It's the Trident SSBN replacements. Just like in the UK, their cost is horrific and overshadows all other navy spending.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Enigmatically wrote:The USMC would love them but the USN would veto it as they are not allowed proper carriers that compete with USN (hence why they are not allowed ski-jump I suspect)
Pulease, not the same old nonense. If the Marines wanted ski jumps, they would be fitted tomorrow. They don't.

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

Excuse the daft question, but if the Ski Jump provides a benefit to F35, then why wouldn't they want Ski Jumps too?

cpu121

Post by cpu121 »

They value the extra landing spot for helicopters on a flat deck more than the benefits of the ski jump to the small fixed wing force. The LHD/LHAs are landing ships first and foremost.

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

Bring Deeps wrote:In his well known book 'Sharkey' Ward talks about testing Harrier landings on HMS Invincible in 1981 and the risks involved in landing with the deck moving by 30 feet. It is not clear if that parameter was actually tested. Presumably some of the operations during the Falklands war must have involved similar or possibly worse conditions.
During the Falklands war. In operational use on Invincible one Harrier landed amidships landing in high sea state. There was a over the bow recovery because the sea state precluded turning the ship into wind. There is some advantages in operating the F35bs in sea states that would curtail cat and trap recoverys.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Ron5 wrote:
Enigmatically wrote:The USMC would love them but the USN would veto it as they are not allowed proper carriers that compete with USN (hence why they are not allowed ski-jump I suspect)
Pulease, not the same old nonense. If the Marines wanted ski jumps, they would be fitted tomorrow. They don't.
Agree, in most other Navies an America class would be the CV.

Pongoglo
United Kingdom

Post by Pongoglo »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:Might be already posted.

In this USS Essex F35B operation movie, F35Bs are using the full length of the deck, 257m long, and still after the lift-off, it looks "heavy". See from 2:40- onward.

I think the bombs are carried, and fuel are full. I'm looking forward to see "full load" lift off of F35B from QNLZ. It can even carry something under the wing, because not ALL the mission needs stealth. With tanks and bombs under the wing, how long F35B needs to run, to take off from QNLZ?

Also, with using the full deck, it looks like the deck crews are experiencing significant blast wind. There is clearly only a small room for other helicopters to be carried. I had an impression that, F35B "strike" operations from LHD is doable, but with significant limitations on deck handling of aircrafts.

QNLZ with its large flight deck lies in a different world, I think.
I think the 'B' looks great with the gun pod fitted and remember the criticism that Harrier GR9 got from the Pongo's in Afghan because it didn't have a gun. There was much discussion on ARRSE at the time. Problem was solved when it was replaced by Tornado and there was many a time when a gun run was used and the preferred option over a bomb. The gun has many advantages in COIN Ops, less chance of co-lateral for one.

Still cant understand why we couldn't get the gun to work with GR7/9. I remember watching a great documentary once which covered the trials and the disappointment felt by both the aircrew and the Industry bods was palpable when they failed. Sea Harrier had two (Aden 27's?) and the Yanks seem to have had no problems with the AV8B.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

I agree, one of life's minor mysteries. I've never seen an adequate explanation.

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

cpu121 wrote:They value the extra landing spot for helicopters on a flat deck more than the benefits of the ski jump to the small fixed wing force. The LHD/LHAs are landing ships first and foremost.
If that were true, the first two Americas would have a well deck. One additional spot would see a departure every 5 ish minutes, 8 spots would still see 48 helicopters depart in 30 mins. To reduce the performance of the worlds most expensive Combat aircraft to sacrifice one spot does not make sense. I can only conclude that the ski jump isn't seen as value in their U.S. Marine role, as the Aircraft is capable of supporting an Invasion force without the ramp. QE has a different role for her Daves, so Utilising every performance advantage makes sense. Time will tell.

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Digger22 wrote:
cpu121 wrote:They value the extra landing spot for helicopters on a flat deck more than the benefits of the ski jump to the small fixed wing force. The LHD/LHAs are landing ships first and foremost.
If that were true, the first two Americas would have a well deck. One additional spot would see a departure every 5 ish minutes, 8 spots would still see 48 helicopters depart in 30 mins. To reduce the performance of the worlds most expensive Combat aircraft to sacrifice one spot does not make sense. I can only conclude that the ski jump isn't seen as value in their U.S. Marine role, as the Aircraft is capable of supporting an Invasion force without the ramp. QE has a different role for her Daves, so Utilising every performance advantage makes sense. Time will tell.
My understanding of it is that it's a very political move from the USN as they fear that if a ski jump is added to the LHDs they could be seen by politiains as a real carrier and put at risk the minimum of 10 CVNs. The helo spots were used as a excuse with some higher up USN personal telling politiains that at least 2 helo spots would be lost by a ski jump and possibly even 3 ( which we know is complet bull as its only 1 )

It's really simple it's all about preserving the CVN numbers as if the F35B is seen to be too capable off smaller flat tops it could put the CVNs at risk politically, and due to the fact the USMC doesnt need to get the upmost out of the F35B as they have the CVNs covering them.

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

I suppose the most important comparison will not be published for sometime if ever, and that is the performance comparison of a Dave operating from an America class to a QE class, once the operational data is known of course. If their is a significant difference then US politicians will know about it anyway. As they have been flown off a ramp for some years now, the predicted advantage of QE is already known.

QEC Eye in the SKY
United Kingdom

Post by QEC Eye in the SKY »

Enigmatically wrote:
Those questions were posed in rather pointed fashion when we first agreed the design and cost. The USN have been let off the hook a bit by the political stuff (by both major parties) that put the cost up so much.

Think of how cheap they would be if you avoided Labour's delays and the Tories flip-flop AND you were ordering (say) 30. It would be less than 10 CVNs, as would the through life cost.

But has been said the USN worry they would then get dropped back to 10 QECs only. The USMC would love them but the USN would veto it as they are not allowed proper carriers that compete with USN (hence why they are not allowed ski-jump I suspect)
So coming back to the ski-jump, would it require some 300-400 compartments of either QE class to be cut up and reconfigured IF we ever went towards the full catobar route? There's talk of catapults being added, in fact Cdre Jerry Kyd himself mentioned it, not too long ago, and would the power output onboard either QE be enough to power the ships and catapults?

Thanks

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Digger22 wrote:can only conclude that the ski jump isn't seen as value in their U.S. Marine role, as the Aircraft is capable of supporting an Invasion force without the ramp. QE has a different role for her Daves, so Utilising every performance advantage makes sense.
Digger22 wrote:the performance comparison of a Dave operating from an America class to a QE class, once the operational data is known of course.
The clue to the difference might be in how many missions per day the USMC plan to get out of theirs vs. what we plan as the sortie capacity. There is a remarkable difference and that might be simply down to range (CAS close by vs. something else), which in turn would also mean that USMC does not need to max out on both fuel and weapons at take off?

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

QEC Eye in the SKY wrote:
Enigmatically wrote:

So coming back to the ski-jump, would it require some 300-400 compartments of either QE class to be cut up and reconfigured IF we ever went towards the full catobar route? There's talk of catapults being added, in fact Cdre Jerry Kyd himself mentioned it, not too long ago, and would the power output onboard either QE be enough to power the ships and catapults?

Thanks
As much as I would love to see a mid life CATABAR conversion, unless we can come up with a compact and cheap Catapult while having no R+D budget or political will, it will never happen other than some portable light weight drone launching thingy.

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

First SRVL landing! :D

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

Digger22 wrote:As much as I would love to see a mid life CATABAR conversion, unless we can come up with a compact and cheap Catapult while having no R+D budget or political will, it will never happen other than some portable light weight drone launching thingy.
Its not that the ship is not convertible to C.A.T.B.A.R It the cost of procurement and modification that is prohibitive. The deck between the hangar is caperbile of modification to fit a arrester gear and the catapult's. its the power storage and frequency converters that require mounting deep in the hull that represent the major cost. The power is not a problem as there was reserved space for a third gas turbine set. S.T.O.V.L allows helicopter operations while no precluding operating fixed wing aircraft at the same time. lower carrier qualification costs. Higher sea state fixed wing aircraft flight operations . As we have to use our carriers differently than the U.S.N. on a constrained budget. The use of Tilt Rotor Aircraft in the future for A.E.W. C.O.D. may mitigate the gap between the support aircraft capabilities present on C.A.T.A.B.R carrier. I doubt we would use a carrier the same way as they do on the other side of the pond. The capability shown so far is a quantum leap from our proceeding carriers.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

I was told that it wasn’t that procurement and modification to cats and traps was prohibitively expensive but rather when they decided to do it. As nothing had been engineered or worked up to production standard and the number of compartments that were affective it would of meant you had to pay the entire carrier construction workforce to sit and do very little for about 2 years while the engineering work force was ramped up to crash out a design. Come a planned refit things would of been different.

However it is much preferable to stop then land than to land then stop particularly at sea. F35b has effectively closed the gap between conventional fixed wing a/c and stovl ones like never before but it is expensive.

Wrekin1410

Post by Wrekin1410 »

Dramatic image of the last RAS. Combine this with the SRVL and it really gives a good impression of how quickly and how far the envelope is being pushed in a short space of time and how comfortable everyone must be with the ship, the aircraft and the crew.