Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Ron5 »

Either great security or total lack of interest. Ah well.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Just in time for some horrible weather...

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Apparently, the "USS Queen Elizabeth" has five Merlins on the flight deck.

:roll:

Thankfully, he was re-educated about the name. The second British "boat" (HMS Monmouth) has also arrived.

:roll:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Florida Times-Union reporter Joe Daraskevich has written a story. Includes photos.
http://www.jacksonville.com/news/201809 ... at-america

(WJXT - News4Jax) 5 September 2018
The United Kingdom's new aircraft carrier is in Mayport for its first visit to the United States.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/military/ ... t-us-visit

albedo
United Kingdom

Post by albedo »

Wonder if Hurricane Florence is going to impact the QNLZ tests in the shorter term at all? Forecasts at:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.s ... e#contents

For any weather fans, hit the Discussion link below the title for much more technical commentary. Too far off to be very sure of evolution, strength and track as yet. Right now the Eastern seaboard looks to be in the firing line, but very early days as yet and not totally impossible that it could take a right turn and head in the direction of the UK instead.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

"The HMS Queen Elizabeth" :roll:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Save The Royal Navy) 6th September 2018
HMS Queen Elizabeth arrival in Mayport, Florida

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

A nice article on HMS Queen Elizabeth arriving state side, some nice shots which I haven't seen so far, including one with her and USS Iwo Jima.

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/201809 ... at-america

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

Glad to see the Americans experiencing some fine British traditions :clap:

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

-Eddie- wrote:Glad to see the Americans experiencing some fine British traditions :clap:

Dickheads. Hope the book gets thrown at them.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

I was going to reply to an earlier post in the same fashion, but the addition of the theme tune from Sailor definitely does it ....... As HMS QE came alongside it vividly reminded me of Ark Royal IV's visit to Mayport in '75 or '76. :thumbup:

albedo
United Kingdom

Post by albedo »

albedo wrote:Wonder if Hurricane Florence is going to impact the QNLZ tests in the shorter term at all?
Don't know whether anyone here is interested in this stuff - if not I won't mention it again - but looking increasingly likely that Florence will be a major hurricane over or just off the Eastern Seaboard by next Saturday. Always a good video commentary on likely forecasts at:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

(Despite the domain name, this is neither a site about tinned pineapple nor lad mags from years gone by, but a serious site about current hurricane developments and one accessible to interested amateurs. There's a lot of potential hurricane activity on the go at present, but Florence is discussed in the last 10 mins or so of last night's video.)

Latest NHC update shows Florence on course for Charleston with landfall now estimated for Friday & with max sustained winds of 125kt. Position/strength can only be a rough estimate at this stage.

Key Messages from NHC (include): 1. Florence is forecast to be a dangerous major hurricane near the southeast U.S. coast by late next week, and the risk of direct impacts continues to increase.

Wrekin1410

Post by Wrekin1410 »

Apologies for posting a tweet from HMS Monmouth but does anyone know the function of the mast erected at the side of the ramp? I’m guessing it’s part of the test instrumentation but I could be totally wrong. Looking at past photos it looks like it’s been in place for the whole crossing.

Thanks in advance.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Deck wind sensor.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

downsizer wrote:
-Eddie- wrote:Glad to see the Americans experiencing some fine British traditions :clap:

Dickheads. Hope the book gets thrown at them.
A more balanced view

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/201809 ... sh-sailors

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

The bars down there know how to survive a beating, between spring breakers passing through, college d-baggery, and the various ships that come through they see plenty. Just sounds like they didn't get adequate warning from the locals about what day the CV crews we're gonna hit.

Simon82

Post by Simon82 »

And back to a slightly less balanced view...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45463703

It would be nice if the BBC started acting a little less like a tabloid newspaper and a little more like a state-owned broadcaster again, wouldn’t it?

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

But on the plus side we now know it has a 162db for horn, vital stats there.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Simon82 wrote:It would be nice if the BBC started acting a little less like a tabloid newspaper and a little more like a state-owned broadcaster again, wouldn’t it?
What is wrong with it? Fair, balanced, accurate.

Simon82

Post by Simon82 »

I’m not disputing the accuracy. But I don’t see the fair and balanced report every time a US or European sailor pees up a wall in Portsmouth in an international news feed. Perhaps it never happens, pehaps it is in fact plastered all over the New York Times and Le Monde and I’ve never noticed, perhaps low capacity bladders is a problem unique to the Royal Navy. It just seems to me that the BBC and British media in general seem particularly good at highlighting all the negatives associated with the aircraft carriers and ignoring any positives. The floating out of Prince of Wales for example seemed to get little or no coverage compared to the tasing of a tipsy sailer.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

Simon82 wrote:I’m not disputing the accuracy. But I don’t see the fair and balanced report every time a US or European sailor pees up a wall in Portsmouth in an international news feed. Perhaps it never happens, pehaps it is in fact plastered all over the New York Times and Le Monde and I’ve never noticed, perhaps low capacity bladders is a problem unique to the Royal Navy. It just seems to me that the BBC and British media in general seem particularly good at highlighting all the negatives associated with the aircraft carriers and ignoring any positives. The floating out of Prince of Wales for example seemed to get little or no coverage compared to the tasing of a tipsy sailer.
Probably because there's little interest in what french or American sailors get upto.

The carriers have had loads of good publicity and lots of it on the bbc. This is just one story, don't attribute too much to it.
Like it or not servicemen getting tazed abroad is a news item.

inch

Post by inch »

Dont worrie you will get to all hear about it and the aftermath in the new documentry being filmed im sure in time folks

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Mayport, QE and Monmouth circled in pink....

Clive F
United Kingdom

Post by Clive F »

Not sure if this question has been asked before (332 pages is a lot to go thro'), Could an BN islander take off / land on a QE? If so could crowsnest be fitted? Would that save much (£) over Merlins? Would it be of benefit freeing up the Merlins?