Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
SKB
England

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by SKB »

I hope QE gets green lasers, but not because they would match the ship's crest....
*pew pew pew* :mrgreen:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Portsmouth FC went for a visit to QE yesterday and had a kickabout with BAE Maritime

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Nice pics, I see the QE Island Big Screen was suitably set up for England's game against Croatia!

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

UK Dragon, with MBDA and Leonardo in the lead... that's the only way to be pushing boundaries (as financially there is a lot of risk to carry)
"in summer 2018, before it is transported to MOD Shoeburyness for long-range outdoor trials later in the year.
</blockquote> from the atricle linked by Qwerty above

As has been already mentioned, there have been claims of achieving operability with clouds and fog around. Only trials will tell - does Shoeburyness have lots of both (clouds and fog)?
- a bit like IRIS-T is supposedly top of class in its range category
- however, the Swiss Airforce declined to certify it (its seeker head) as an all-weather weapon in their mountain weather
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: does Shoeburyness have lots of both (clouds and fog)?
It's on the Coast in England, so probably an abudance of both even in the summer! (although not 2018 so far :lol: )

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Looks like the first Phalanx CIWS is being fitted!

:clap: :thumbup:

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

That photoshopped /mspainted picture might just be the single worst thing I have ever seen.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

WhiteWhale wrote:That photoshopped /mspainted picture might just be the single worst thing I have ever seen.
Reminds me of the storm that took USS Nimitz back in time to prevent Pearl Harbour in the film 'Final Countdown' :clap:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

PhillyJ wrote:Reminds me of the storm that took USS Nimitz back in time to prevent Pearl Harbour in the film 'Final Countdown' :clap:

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

Great film if you fast forward past all the acting bits.
Does the Airwing depicted, represent the most Type numerous of any carrier Airwing in history? Maybe Forestals Airwing in Vietnam 'Trumps' it.
And yes slightly off topic but relevant to the Two types QE will mainly embark?

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

The Sci fi channel has been showing The Final Countdown recently, if anyone is interested.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Little J wrote:The Sci fi channel has been showing The Final Countdown recently, if anyone is interested.
Have it on Blu-Ray myself! The Corsair emergency recovery was an actual event that took place whilst the film crew were on board so they decided to include it in the film.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Digger22 wrote:Great film if you fast forward past all the acting bits.
I thought the dog acted quite well! The airwing was impressive, even the old Crusader still on board as Photo Recon.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QEC Eye in the SKY
United Kingdom

Post by QEC Eye in the SKY »

CameronPerson wrote:
Now that IS something to look forward too!

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

While it's quiet, here's one to ponder, or ridicule.
The C130 that took off and landed from an American Aircraft Carrier had a stall speed of about 100knts, maybe 90 in that test condition.
It was able to take off and land, with a fair margin of safety, albeit her wingspan required no other aircraft to be on deck.
Hawkeye has a stall speed of 75 knts, has a much smaller wingspan, about a third as wide as QE's flight deck, and therefore could in theory operate from QE conventionally, if the type could land on without arrestor gear. Her props would not cause a clearance issue as the ski jump is concave therefore deck clearance on the jump increases between nose wheel and main gear. There is even a coveniently placed ski jump in the U.S. Tests for the Indian Navy didn't get to far, albeit the aircraft proved it could use a ski jump, although their shorter take off run than QE could provide could have been one reason, engine failure of takeoff was sited as another for rejection. There were also concerns about Software access, and a reduced performance compared to a CATABAR type, although we would need to compare that to the current Crowsnest solution, and it would need to take into account that any Hawkeye purchase could also replace Sentry.

Opinion3

Post by Opinion3 »

Alternatively we could just get some MV22s which must be pretty multifunctional. If they need to clear the deck they could hop onto an auxiliary asset. Sentry should be replaced with wedgetail, and our tankers sorted for boom operation and UARRSI

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Has Queen Elizabeth's actual empty / light-loaded displacement been officially confirmed at any stage? I ask because she was always generally quoted as being 65,000 tonnes until a couple of years ago when most articles started to state 70,000 but recent articles I have read seem to have reverted to 65,000.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I think at least one of the Phalanx guns has been fitted, on the starboard side just in front of the forward island. Look back to my 13th July post to find the video when Portsmouth FC visited the ship, its in the first few seconds. You'll see what I mean.

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

SKB wrote:I think at least one of the Phalanx guns has been fitted, on the starboard side just in front of the forward island. Look back to my 13th July post to find the video when Portsmouth FC visited the ship, its in the first few seconds. You'll see what I mean.
Found this one as well.

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

If there was a reason to scramble QE this is it. Fires in Greece, a need for Helicopters there, she should go now! Best possible PR and she could really make a difference. One of the reasons she exists.

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

So is she now getting 4 Phalanx? There was never mention before of Phalanx in that position. The plan was for three, two on the stern and one ahead of the Port forward sponson?