Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
CR4ZYHOR5E
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by CR4ZYHOR5E »

Good photos. What’s the deal with the deck...why does it look like it’s at the end of its 50 year career rather than the beginning? Patchwork is the phrase that comes to mind.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

CR4ZYHOR5E wrote:Patchwork is the phrase that comes to mind.
And the F-35s haven't had a chance to melt holes into it yet! Is it that heat treatment - only (?) applied to landing spots?

BTW: the first of those photos would make a great recruitment poster (or a screen saver...)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Wonkabar007) 23rd June 2018
After completing the second phase of helicopter flying trials at sea, HMS Queen Elizabeth returns to a sunny Portsmouth, next stop the USA for F-35 flight trials.
Who knew QE had "hazard warning lights" on her stern?! 2:15 ^

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Does she go "Beep" when going backwards :D

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Closer and closer.

How long will the Fixed wing trials take out of interest... and will we see F35's onboard immediately after that or will there be a gap between trials and the QE operating with fighters onboard?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

2019 is expected to see the first embarkations for 617 Sqn as maritime build up begins, but according to earlier reports that might happen on Prince of Wales instead of on QE.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

hovematlot
United Kingdom

Post by hovematlot »

Lord Jim wrote:Does she go "Beep" when going backwards :D
3 blasts on the siren normally suffices. :thumbup:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

366 days now and still no red double decker buses. I'm getting impatient.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QHM Portsmouth: Tugs winding QE to Bows North, PRJ, Thursday 28th June 12:40
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/portsm ... 28/06/2018

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

SKB wrote:366 days now and still no red double decker buses. I'm getting impatient.
Just like the aircraft, we can't actually afford the buses. We may have to rely on allies to populate the bus wing....

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

The only extra "buses" that we actually need are those for C.O.D. Since we already have the "water buses". There may also be chocolate "Double Deckers" on board :mrgreen:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I went into the dockyard today to watch QE 'winding ship' from Bows South to her usual Bows North. It started at 12:40.
QE1 28Jun2018.jpg
QE1.5 28Jun2018.jpg
QE2 28Jun2018.jpg
QE3 28Jun2018.jpg
QE4 28Jun208.jpg
QE5 28Jun2018.jpg
QE6 28Jun2018.jpg
QE7 28Jun2018.jpg
QE7.5 28Jun2018.jpg

Took just over an hour. :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

That’s what I call a view! I like the first picture, I remember once seeing all three Invincibles alongside and thinking how huge they looked.. nothing like QE though! Weird to think that the displacement of Invincible, Lusty and the Ark added together still doesn’t exceed QE’s :crazy:

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

SKB wrote:Went into the dockyard today to watch the winding of QE from Bows South to her usual Bows North. It started at 12:40.
Great pics as ever. I can't stop feeling a little disappointed when I see a pic of QE docked that the the original basing arrangements have never gone ahead. Its still a fantastic achievement with all of the new facilities, but watching articulated lorries driving up ramps into the ship via the hanger openings, unloading and driving out through the other hanger opening to replenish the entire ship in a matter of hours with 10 people would have made the USN green with envy...

RNFollower
United Kingdom

Post by RNFollower »

dmereifield wrote:
SKB wrote:366 days now and still no red double decker buses. I'm getting impatient.
Just like the aircraft, we can't actually afford the buses. We may have to rely on allies to populate the bus wing....
I assume it would be a Joint force set up, but teamed with Stagecoach and not the RAF ;)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

4 years ago today!

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

UK Defence journal has reported on the "Dragon fire" being readied for testing this is perhaps a step closer to being deployed on ships a large ship would have the capacitor size to have a meaningful amount of directed energy if not enough as a means to destroy a high speed missile but to disable the sensors ?

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

seaspear wrote:UK Defence journal has reported on the "Dragon fire" being readied for testing this is perhaps a step closer to being deployed on ships a large ship would have the capacitor size to have a meaningful amount of directed energy if not enough as a means to destroy a high speed missile but to disable the sensors ?
I believe the end goal for Dragonfire is a 50KW class weapon. The USN appears to think that is too low to be useful.

The size of the capacitors also has to do with firing rate. In other words, how long do you have to wait between shots. A large capacity would allow an initial quick salvo followed by a slower rate of fire. Rather like conventional artillery.

Simon82

Post by Simon82 »

My slight concern is how well will laser weaponry work on a foggy, rainy or snowy day? The efficacy of 20 mm shells from a Phalanx are fairly weather independent I believe.

albedo
United Kingdom

Post by albedo »

Simon82 wrote:My slight concern is how well will laser weaponry work on a foggy, rainy or snowy day? The efficacy of 20 mm shells from a Phalanx are fairly weather independent I believe.
Does it have to be either/or? Isn't it feasible to have both weapons installed, at least for a transition generation until laser technology develops further? I'm no naval architect, but I'd have guessed that the cost and practicality of installing both wouldn't be prohibitive, assuming suitable positions are available. And then the increased survivability from having the option of either or both systems could be a major plus.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

That's what I would do, until the the tech has advanced enough, maybe one on top of the bridge covering forward 180 & one on the aft island covering the rear 180..along with the seawizz's ciws aswell would be good, midlife refit maybe ?

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Popular mechanics clams the U.S.N is developing 4 different laser weapons two of which are in the 150 kilo watt range a solid state one to be installed on the San Antonio class in 2019 and and the ruggedized or Rhel system Lockheed Martin is planning on installing on Arleigh Burkes in 2020 laser weapons that will be integrated into the power cooling and battle management systems "eee spectrum"
Certainly the R.N apart from a previous first sea lord express some interest in laser weaponry seems either to have gone quiet or kept its cards close as to what it envisages for the capital ships in added protection if any.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

You have to wonder what this UK project brings to the laser table that's not already been done in several other countries already.

Qinetiq claims they have a unique way to modulate the laser power. My guess is that means they have figured out how to vary the number of little lasers whose beams are combined to make the final beam. If so, that's been done in the US already. But who knows, all very secret.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Is the aim is to do anything radically new? Isn't it more to develop the tech in house so not to leave the UK behind?
@LandSharkUK