Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
SKB
England

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by SKB »

Update!

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

To me or doesn't look like a prang.

I guess it has to be perfectly balanced to fit in the tight gap, perhaps it wasn't, thus the extra ballast. That's my guess anyway. I doubt they would dent such a thing
@LandSharkUK

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

The lateral view of QE looks like ARTISAN has been fitted?

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

With the block fitting out at a higher state than Queen Elizabeth it be understandable that the block would require trimming to position the block level on the dock blocks especially with the tight clearance of the dock entrance. I have seen a ships turned on a tug at the dock entrance as there used to be a large fixed crane on that berth and it was common for ships to be berthed there before entering the dry dock.

Wrekin1410

Post by Wrekin1410 »

SKB wrote:Well, it looks to me as if something unplanned has happened. Why else would they put a forklift and the skeg on one end? I'd guess to balance the block. And the timing of the docking seems a bit later than planned. Ideally you'd want full daylight for this tricky maneuver. Not dusk.
SKB, looking at the photos of her before she left for Rosyth it looks like the skeg was shipped up on her. Also agree with SMH's comment later that given the different level of completion to QNLZ that it might not be such a surprise some balasting was needed - but a fork lift? :)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Wrekin1410 wrote:SKB, looking at the photos of her before she left for Rosyth it looks like the skeg was shipped up on her. Also agree with SMH's comment later that given the different level of completion to QNLZ that it might not be such a surprise some balasting was needed - but a fork lift? :)
:shock: Wow. You're right about the skeg! Completely missed that! Thanks. Sorry about the confusion. ;)

easydiver
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by easydiver »

August newsletter from the ACA is out now: http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.co.u ... t-2015.pdf

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

I've taken a few pics of the docking but won't be able to post until next week due to returning to Jersey for a short break. They're not as close up as Jerry's obviously but it gives you a wider perspective.

sea_eagle
United Kingdom

Post by sea_eagle »

easydiver wrote:August newsletter from the ACA is out now: http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.co.u ... t-2015.pdf
Inside the magazine was this comment:
The cumulative efforts of everyone saw an increase of productivity on HMS QNLZ by 54% which was
fantastic and I’m incredibly proud to be a part of that. Arecent highlight on PWLS has been seeing the PWLS
Detailed Planning teams take control of the planning systems using our jointly developed Detailed Planning
Dashboard to drive a significant improvement in scope alignment from 40% up to 95%.
This must have a significant positive effect on build costs. I still rue the political delays which added £1.5bn to the build cost. This would have easily paid for the 2xT45 which were cancelled. Just wonder what the build cost of a third carrier would be with all the lessons learned.

Can't find any details of what QE LB04 block weghed compared to POW?
The block is not only the largest section of HMS PRINCE OF WALES, it is also the largest section of carrier to be
transported on the project to date due to the more advanced level of outfitting with which it has been delivered.
Thanks to all providing the great photos!

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

The claims of productivity improvements are interesting ,although there wont be another carrier to use this on you would hope that when the time comes to build the frigates this is the type of ideal to be aimed for .

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

Wrekin1410 wrote:I was surprised to read it given the much greater level of completion of the front half with POW. Maybe the blocks and gear (no doubt an incorrect term so apologies in advance) supporting the hull only allow movement towards the dock entrance once the dock has been emptied? Also if I remember from moving Queen Elizabeth out of dock, moving her towards the entrance left sufficient room at the head of the dock to lower a tug in place to assist in the maneuvers.
Welcome to the "new home" for us all!

I thought the tug was lifted in front of QE once the dock was flooded? That's a simple thing to do as the ship could be pulled aft a bit to provide space at the bow.
(Yup, just checked on the photos and the dock was flooded and the gate open.)

There is considerable weight in LB04, so will be an interesting skid process whatever part moves!

rbw91
United Kingdom

Post by rbw91 »

swoop wrote:
Wrekin1410 wrote: There is considerable weight in LB04, so will be an interesting skid process whatever part moves!
According to the August Newsletter http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.co.u ... t-2015.pdf They are going to skid the parts of PoW already in situ on to the new block.

Wrekin1410

Post by Wrekin1410 »

swoop wrote:
I thought the tug was lifted in front of QE once the dock was flooded? That's a simple thing to do as the ship could be pulled aft a bit to provide space at the bow.

There is considerable weight in LB04, so will be an interesting skid process whatever part moves!
Swoop, good point on the tug. I've just found this in David Downs blog in The Engineer on the 28th January 2013 (somehow it doesn't seem that long ago) "To join the two parts of the aircraft carrier in the dock, the intermediate gate was removed and the forward part, all 20,000 plus tonnes of it, was skidded back about 18 metres to align with LB04. There have been several questions about why we chose to move the larger, heavier forward bit rather than moving LB04. The reason wasn’t that we just like a challenge, but that the forward part has a far larger extent of flat bottom and is thus much easier to jack up and skid."

Here is the link to the full article. I know it was posted on the old site but it's an interesting re-read
Read more: http://www.theengineer.co.uk/home/blog/ ... z3kaM7s0c6

The below is a link to all his articles on the construction of the carriers
http://www.theengineer.co.uk/david-down ... ontributor

For those who haven't read them they are a mine of useful snippets and a nice compliment to the ACA newsletter. Even for those who have, they are worth going over again - it's surprising what one forgets; but then age might have something to do with that ;)

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

Wrekin1410 wrote:
swoop wrote:

Swoop, good point on the tug. I've just found this in David Downs blog in The Engineer on the 28th January 2013 (somehow it doesn't seem that long ago) "To join the two parts of the aircraft carrier in the dock, the intermediate gate was removed and the forward part, all 20,000 plus tonnes of it, was skidded back about 18 metres to align with LB04. There have been several questions about why we chose to move the larger, heavier forward bit rather than moving LB04. The reason wasn’t that we just like a challenge, but that the forward part has a far larger extent of flat bottom and is thus much easier to jack up and skid."

Here is the link to the full article. I know it was posted on the old site but it's an interesting re-read
Read more: http://www.theengineer.co.uk/home/blog/ ... z3kaM7s0c6

The below is a link to all his articles on the construction of the carriers
http://www.theengineer.co.uk/david-down ... ontributor

For those who haven't read them they are a mine of useful snippets and a nice compliment to the ACA newsletter. Even for those who have, they are worth going over again - it's surprising what one forgets; but then age might have something to do with that ;)
Having taken two ships (a guided missile frigate and a guided missile cruiser) into a floating drydock as chief engineer, I can tell you that both docking and un-docking are fascinating processes, and those dock masters earn every penny they're paid.

In San Diego, we always start just after midnight because while tide is rarely an issue, wind is; and the onshore breeze that is omnipresent onshore flow that makes the climate of my birthplace pretty much perfect (about 22 degrees Celsius) year round is also a pain in the arse when you're dead stick and tugs are yanking and pushing on you to line you up so that you settle on the blocks properly. The wind finally dies after midnight. The photo below is of my last time through that wicket. It is literally the morning after settling on the blocks.

"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . ."

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Any word yet if there has been any damage to LB04?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

No idea. Don't even know if LB04 is in place over the blocks or even if the dock has been sealed and drained yet. Can't find a thing.

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Yeah me neither, I'm sure that if there was we would have found out by now.

Ps that was a good post about the BAE Replica on the other thread. Made for good reading that.

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

desertswo wrote:Having taken two ships (a guided missile frigate and a guided missile cruiser) into a floating drydock as chief engineer, I can tell you that both docking and un-docking are fascinating processes, and those dock masters earn every penny they're paid.

...a pain in the arse...

It is literally the morning after settling on the blocks.
Those keel blocks are substantially narrower than what I'm used to! Getting that to line up, means a lot more sweating on the docking crew's behalf.
The normal width is more like 4 feet+ but those look like 2 foot wide. I guess it makes the water-blasting and painting process easier around the keel area.

Nice usage of the correct term of backside too! I'm always perplexed about Americans referring to their donkey... :lol: :mrgreen:

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

swoop wrote:
desertswo wrote:Having taken two ships (a guided missile frigate and a guided missile cruiser) into a floating drydock as chief engineer, I can tell you that both docking and un-docking are fascinating processes, and those dock masters earn every penny they're paid.

...a pain in the arse...

It is literally the morning after settling on the blocks.
Those keel blocks are substantially narrower than what I'm used to! Getting that to line up, means a lot more sweating on the docking crew's behalf.
The normal width is more like 4 feet+ but those look like 2 foot wide. I guess it makes the water-blasting and painting process easier around the keel area.

Nice usage of the correct term of backside too! I'm always perplexed about Americans referring to their donkey... :lol: :mrgreen:
Thank you! Trying to make ya'll comfortable. ;)

On the subject of lining up the keel blocks. I tell you there were a lot of divers in the water and the dock master, who was only 34, was working both them and the tugs simultaneously. A lot of balls in the air, and that young man didn't drop one. By the way, that ship repair facility ("Southwest Marine") is now owned by BAE. :D
"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . ."

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Video timelapse of the docking of LB04. The lifting of the forklift has been cut, though.

Still not sure if the block took a bit of a knock or not. The doubt remains. Anyway, nothing major.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

PoW Assembly Diagram Update! (04 September 2015)

Now that we have video proof of LB04's docking ^ (thankyou to Gabriele/Liger30), time for a diagram update!
I've left a gap on the diagram between LB04 and the main ship as the skid hasn't yet taken place.

I noticed from the end of the video that PoW's ski-jump ramp seems to be more or less complete. Couldn't see if the most forward catwalks had been fitted yet.

Yes, the skeg was delivered with LB04, but its obviously not in its final position yet, so I haven't put it on the diagram. Yet.

You can also see in the video that the first two CB04 blocks (CB04A and CB04B) are positioned beside the dock. CB04C and CB04D were last seen being transported by 'AMT Commander' from Liverpool to Rosyth.
PoW Assembly Diagram 04Sep2015 LB04.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

Sorry SKB but you'll have to update the diagram again. CB04B is already on!

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

:shock: :o Thankyou Eddie. :lol:

CB04B Lifted!
Notice in the tweet photo theres a bridge between LB04 and the superblock?!
PoW Assembly Diagram 04Sep2015 CB04B.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

They haven't even lifted the skeg off LB04 yet :D

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Jdam wrote:They haven't even lifted the skeg off LB04 yet :D
Maybe they'll forklift it off. ;)