Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

inch

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by inch »

well if reports are right about the Russian new mac 10 missiles would arming qe carrier do any good anyway or even a type 45 attached be able to help ?think they better get their thinking caps on and invest in our equipment (larger 3% budget maybe) wonder if new missile will make a difference in guv circles about more money ?.but as for normal missile defence yes should be properly armed like every other carrier in the universe

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Russia has in the past made many claims of new weapons that somehow have never been deployed , assessment of which can lead to consideration of research in development of countering weapons or tactics , you also don,t want to spend a lot of money countering a weapon that does not exist .

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Well at least there are no lack of spares for the Queen Elizabeth :-

https://www.forces.net/news/cannibalisi ... reasonable

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

The FA2, still my favourite mark of all the Harrier/Sea Harrier family, gone long before it’s time :thumbdown:

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

CameronPerson wrote:The FA2, still my favourite mark of all the Harrier/Sea Harrier family, gone long before it’s time :thumbdown:

Is that in Pompey? I remember doing the Airfix Sea Harrier model in 1982 just prior to the Falklands kicking off, I was just about to paint it in tophalf blue, bottom white as per the instructions when my Dad said you need to paint it all in Sea Grey...he worked for the RN MOD at the time so obv had insider knowledge!

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

PhillyJ wrote:
CameronPerson wrote:The FA2, still my favourite mark of all the Harrier/Sea Harrier family, gone long before it’s time :thumbdown:
Is that in Pompey?
It is indeed, registration ZD611 a former airframe with the SFDO. Not sure when it was installed but there’s a picture of it at Culdrose at 2015 so presumably she was added as a “jetty guard” when they were carrying out the refurb in prep for QE. Makes a really nice touch I think..

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Some pics from my recent trip around Pompey Harbour yesterday. The last one shows some crane work going on but unfortunately I didn't have a decent enough camera to zoom in on what they were for.
WP_20180304_11_06_09_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20180304_11_07_02_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20180304_11_59_27_Pro (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

I think the AN/SPN-41 Instrument Carrier Landing System is bound to be one of the things that go up ahead of the next trials.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I notice (?) the two police boats bopping up and down at both ends. to stop any over-eager RN enthusiast (or someone with a shaped-charge weapon) from getting too close?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:I notice (?) the two police boats bopping up and down at both ends. to stop any over-eager RN enthusiast (or someone with a shaped-charge weapon) from getting too close?
Yes indeed, they are on permanent watch when HMS QE is in, but I think in general a Police launch is always out and about in the harbour. Our plucky Capt on the Harbour tour decided that as the 2 launches were keeping a close eye on QE he would sneak down past a T45 (HMS Diamond I think) and take a peek at the new HMS Forth OPV which came into Pompey for her first time recently...unfortunately he did not see the other Police launch which was blending nicely into the docks and 'politely' advised he was getting too close by steering towards us! This is as close as we could get before the Police 'chased' us off.
WP_20180304_11_11_22_Pro (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

If Portsmouth's D lock were big enough for the QE, she could have been berthed and safely enclosed within the walls of No.3 Basin, berthed on the southern side of Fountain Lake Jetty, away from intrusive civilian boats and shipping. This berth is usually used for "Extended Readiness" (mothballed) ships awaiting their fate.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

SKB wrote:If Portsmouth's D lock were big enough for the QE, she could have been berthed and safely enclosed within the walls of No.3 Basin, berthed on the southern side of Fountain Lake Jetty, away from intrusive civilian boats and shipping. This berth is usually used for "Extended Readiness" (mothballed) ships awaiting their fate.
I agree, but the Harbour tours would be a lot less exciting if she was tucked up out of the way!

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

SKB wrote:If Portsmouth's D lock were big enough for the QE, she could have been berthed and safely enclosed within the walls of No.3 Basin, berthed on the southern side of Fountain Lake Jetty, away from intrusive civilian boats and shipping. This berth is usually used for "Extended Readiness" (mothballed) ships awaiting their fate.
There’s really nothing intrusive about it. We should welcome the fact that people are really genuinely interested. There has been a palpable increase in interest in the RN as a result of the arrival of QE and Portsmouth has enjoyed a mini tourist boom, which I’m glad to say my family has contributed to. There’s nothing negative.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Videos: Jonny Davies)
Hms Queen Elizabeth gets turned in Portsmouth harbour to her normal "bow north" docking

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

Interesting to see that the next Ford class ships are underway. Kennedy is 75% structurally complete and initial blocks for Enterprise are also underway.

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

USA is aiming for 12 carriers, gotta accelerate that construction timeline ^^

grimbob
United Kingdom

Post by grimbob »

You've gotta love the Scottish press.
Royal Navy reveals its Scottish-built flagship was named after English monarch who chopped off Scottish queen's head
http://www.thenational.scot/news/160687 ... en_s_head/

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Wow, just wow. :D

imperialman
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by imperialman »

RetroSicotte wrote:Wow, just wow. :D
They asked the UKDJ for a quote on it and completely cut out the bits where it's explained that it's not a conspiracy, not a "discovery" nor was it hidden from the public in any way shape or form. Really poor journalism and selective quoting.