Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
90inFIRST
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by 90inFIRST »

Ron5 wrote:
SKB wrote:Of course it would. Electricity and rainwater don't mix.
The guys that wired my yard for lights didn't use a tent. But then again, they didn't connect it to the mains until it stopped raining. Must be smarter than your average UK shipyard worker.

:-)
It doesn't stop raining here

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I think UK's 240V in the rain is a tad more fatal than the US 120V in the rain.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Elf n' safety :angel:

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

90inFIRST wrote:
Ron5 wrote:
SKB wrote:Of course it would. Electricity and rainwater don't mix.
The guys that wired my yard for lights didn't use a tent. But then again, they didn't connect it to the mains until it stopped raining. Must be smarter than your average UK shipyard worker.

:-)
It doesn't stop raining here
That made me laugh out loud.

My comment was very tongue in cheek, my yard lights are 20v and I live in Arizona so they didn't have to wait long for it to stop raining.

On a more serious note, I don't think the tents in the photo are where the Bedford lights will be located. I wonder if they're either repairing thermion or adding a new landing spot? or maybe there's a stuck elevator there?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The tent is large enough to conceal a large sleigh and eight reindeer. Perhaps they crashed ?

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

SKB wrote:I think UK's 240V in the rain is a tad more fatal than the US 120V in the rain.
don't think id like to be on the receiving end of both to find out, might be a very shocking experience :shock: :shock:

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Looking at the picture the tent is to the right of the ramp so not likely thermion coating, stuck elevators or the like. Probably not for a party as the Hangar is plenty big enough for that. So could it just be storage for contractors doing work on deck.

Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Catapult being installed???

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Roberto wrote:Catapult being installed???
Would be nice for a UAV.

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

Just reading up on the Lightning pilot who will be first to land on QE in the Autumn. Certainly good PR for the RN being able to say that a Fleet Air Arm pilot made the first landing, although the RAF will have the first take off, fairs fair I suppose.. Commander Nath Gray was also the last pilot to land the GR9 at Wittering back in December 2010 so even better PR in regards to regaining a lost capability (although I must admit I am one of those that believe the loss of carrier capability began to happen back in 2006 when the FAA lost the FA2 and had it replaced with a ground attack aircraft making a few token visits now and then but hey ho that’s another story!)

https://navynews.co.uk/archive/news/item/14535

I read a comment on Facebook saying that the RAF should be proud of “their” new carriers and equally as proud of the RAF pilot Commander Gray.. for the sake of Sharkey Ward’s blood pressure I hope he doesn’t see it! in all honesty though I do hope those brilliant images of a jet thundering off the ski jump will help boost the public knowledge of the FAA, after all flying from a carrier is the Fleet Air Arm’s business ;)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Where is it written he will be the first to fly the F-35 onboard the QE? Love to read that.

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

Ron5 wrote:Where is it written he will be the first to fly the F-35 onboard the QE? Love to read that.
There’s nothing written as such that he’ll be first pilot de facto to land on, purely the first RN pilot to land on. I’m assuming he’ll be first on because I believe Pete Wilson said back at RIAT in 2016 that the RN will be first to land the Lightning. I’m going on that unless the plan has changed..

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

SKB wrote:I think UK's 240V in the rain is a tad more fatal than the US 120V in the rain.

A bit off topic but just a quick heads up to anyone with the tendency to grab live wires; voltage doesn't matter, it's Amps that kill. A modern car coil pack is quite capable of putting 60,000v through your hand for a nasty nip but it doesn't have the current to harm. Meanwhile you can get 12v 120A connections that will happily plant you in the ground.

Just be careful prodding things.

Elf and safety bit over!

albedo
United Kingdom

Post by albedo »

WhiteWhale wrote:A bit off topic but just a quick heads up to anyone with the tendency to grab live wires; voltage doesn't matter, it's Amps that kill.
To be accurate, it's the combination of volts and amps that can kill. The resistance of the human body is normally the limiting factor in the current that will flow, assuming that we're talking about simply grabbing hold** of two terminals. And 12v is too low a voltage to allow too much current to flow irrespective of the current capacity of the source, especially if the source is DC.

** There are other scenarios of course!

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

:eh: :silent: :wtf:

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

Somebody should forward this to the present incumbent at 1600 Pensylvania Ave!!!

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

Not directly related to QE class but interesting reading. Here’s the report on Lusty’s scrapping... surprised to find that the author of this document thought the hangar is actually called the “airplane garage” :eh:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... __002_.pdf

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

CameronPerson wrote:thought the hangar is actually called the “airplane garage” :eh:
He took the easy way out as he could not decide for the spelling: hangar/ hanger :lol:
- these acronyms in defence, though, must send the head of the newly initiated spinning... though here we would be actually talking about every day English

Sometimes, you do need to call a Professor and Reverend, just attest to the meaning and the origins of it despite the fact that everyday usage is clear to anyone:
"Mr Kingsley said bollocks remained in colloquial use down through the centuries and was also used to denote a clergyman in the last century. ”The word has been used as a nickname for clergymen, who are known to talk a good deal of rubbish and so the word later developed the meaning of nonsense,”... what to use to hang your clothes; where do you park your helicopters, away from the inclement weather
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Its called an aeroplane, after the aeroplane cross-section of a wing in the field of aeronautics.
Not "airplane" or "airnautics".

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Foam tests on the deck? Definately not snow.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

It's a bit grainy, but isn't that water in the background, rather than something on the deck?
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

And in the first picture I see brown patch at base of Island, rust?

QEC Eye in the SKY
United Kingdom

Post by QEC Eye in the SKY »

Some great pics following on from Cameron's post.