Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
bobp
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by bobp »

inch wrote:maybe its just the camera angle and looks a hell of a lot bigger if you in it
It is a lot bigger than it appears in these pictures. In addition there are works areas for engines, avionics, and general workshops and stores not shown in these pictures. I would imagine not all the aircraft will be in the hangar as it would indeed be a tight squeeze.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

There is no need to house all aircrafts within the hangar. US Navy, which has an order of magnitude better experience on carrier operations than UK/RN, does not do it. Also, QNLZ is larger than their old Midway class CVs, which means the hull size is not a reason to house them all in the hangar. (while in case of the small Invincible class, water coming on the aircrafts would have been the problem)

No problem, I think. Just enjoy the large flight deck.

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

inch wrote:forgot to ask but what was the size of hms ocean hangar although I know wasn't built to operate planes as such ? thanks
From my records: 111.3m x 21m = 2,337m²

http://www.pymes75.plus.com/military/ocean.htm

inch

Post by inch »

Cheers chaps :thumbup:

Wrekin1410

Post by Wrekin1410 »

Digger22 wrote:I take it the little lifts we can see on the hangar floor are to do with the HMWHS?
I believe some at least, if not all, are for general stores, remember almost all stores will be loaded into the hangar using the lifts while alongside or during RAS. As for the HMWHS from previous posts they appear to deliver directly to the flight deck via the two islands. I’m sure there are many better informed members here who can shed light on whether HMWHS also feeds into the hangar.

Opinion3

Post by Opinion3 »

I suspect if the USN has an advantage on storage in the hangar it will be in relation to the helicopters. It sounds like we are intending to operate more, with a bigger footprint and without the ability to fold. That is especially true if Chinooks are taken down below. I still believe we should be considering the electric folding mechanism for the Chinook. Perhaps not for the whole fleet but for the special forces variant (yeah the one we don't have anymore! That was a dumbass story I still can't get my head around).

Opinion3

Post by Opinion3 »

Wrekin1410 wrote:I believe some at least, if not all, are for general stores, remember almost all stores will be loaded into the hangar using the lifts while alongside or during RAS. As for the HMWHS from previous posts they appear to deliver directly to the flight deck via the two islands. I’m sure there are many better informed members here who can shed light on whether HMWHS also feeds into the hangar.
The magazine and HMWHS lifts would not go into the hangar as they are provided with greater protection. So confirmed. Where the smaller lifts may have gone who knows I don't recollect seeing them, but don't forget in reality (certainly in the USN's case) the hangar is a massive storage space, somewhere where supplies are received, the Captain's Range Rover is kept etc. Any working hypothesis that the hangar is just for planes is going to be very interesting to see in practice. Will we ever know if the RN tests this to the limits? I would love to know and see it.

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

HMWHS has a hangar access via an armoured blast proof room under the towers. This allows disarming weapons if damaged in flight or if too expensive to jettison before land on.

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

jimthelad wrote:HMWHS has a hangar access via an armoured blast proof room under the towers. This allows disarming weapons if damaged in flight or if too expensive to jettison before land on.
Yep, I remember seeing them as well as an additional de-arming area which had armoured doors into the hangar space. The whole design is hugely impressive when you consider the levels of flexibility in the design.

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

Thanks for that. I'm sure I read somewhere something about F35B being able to start engine in the hangar just prior to going up to flight deck. I take it there would be little point in doing that if your jet wasn't fuelled and armed as it left the hangar deck, so surely weapons would have to be delivered there too?

inch

Post by inch »

Just a quick one folks ,can anybody remember the date when the documentary is going to be shown ?,must put it my new calendar ,don't want to miss it .thankyou

inch

Post by inch »

Japan defence sec and navy personal visiting qe today ,I think a we class for Japan would be right up there street tbh and I wouldn't mind having a izumo class or 2 with modifications for a HMS ocean or Albion class replacement I'm sure we could come to some arraignment for swapping designs ,just a thought
:-)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

^ UK Embassy in Washington DC.

^ UK Embassy in Paris.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

SKB wrote:

^ UK Embassy in Paris.
Look, the model even has the aircrafts... :clap:
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

inch wrote:Japan defence sec and navy personal visiting qe today ,I think a we class for Japan would be right up there street tbh and I wouldn't mind having a izumo class or 2 with modifications for a HMS ocean or Albion class replacement I'm sure we could come to some arraignment for swapping designs ,just a thought

What UK needs is South Korean Dokdo-class, not Izumo. When Japanese say that Izumo and Hyuga are ASW helicopter destroyers, they are right. A bit large destroyers, that can have a lot of helicopters, but non the less, ASW helicopter destroyers.

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

abc123 wrote:What UK needs is South Korean Dokdo-class, not Izumo. When Japanese say that Izumo and Hyuga are ASW helicopter destroyers, they are right. A bit large destroyers, that can have a lot of helicopters, but non the less, ASW helicopter destroyers.
I think everyone including the UK military knows we need another helicopter carrier, problem is money and personnel. Until then, we will keep pretending HMS PW can fulfill the same role.

Smokey
Cyprus

Post by Smokey »

Shamelessly robbed from the POW Facebook page.

Crew training simulator

Regards to Phillip C James

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

abc123 wrote:
inch wrote:Japan defence sec and navy personal visiting qe today ,I think a we class for Japan would be right up there street tbh and I wouldn't mind having a izumo class or 2 with modifications for a HMS ocean or Albion class replacement I'm sure we could come to some arraignment for swapping designs ,just a thought

What UK needs is South Korean Dokdo-class, not Izumo. When Japanese say that Izumo and Hyuga are ASW helicopter destroyers, they are right. A bit large destroyers, that can have a lot of helicopters, but non the less, ASW helicopter destroyers.
I think the Japanese delegation are looking over QE for thoughts on there own strike carrier program as an offset to the PLAN's aircraft carrier program.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

ASW helicopter destroyers.
We had some of those (err, cruisers), until they (err, we) noticed that the whole thing without AD would be a sitting duck... so SHAR was born (and deployed).
- due to their size, ours never made it to being "strike carriers"
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

inch

Post by inch »

Could be r686 ,they could def design their own but would be great to see a few more we designs out there sailing about ,I'm thinking Japan ,Brazil and even France even tho they dropped it ,and India even if they will not buy anything British atm hopefully it might change in the future

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

R686 wrote:
abc123 wrote:

I think the Japanese delegation are looking over QE for thoughts on there own strike carrier program as an offset to the PLAN's aircraft carrier program.
Doubt it. Their current Chief of Naval Staff said that he thinks that JMSDF will never have real aircraft carriers. At least in forseeable future, that is.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Yeah, until very recently they were never going to have long range air launched missiles and cruise missiles, too...
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Gabriele wrote:Yeah, until very recently they were never going to have long range air launched missiles and cruise missiles, too...
Don't know, but if they want carrier and all that goes with it, then they will need to increase their defence spending...

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

abc123 wrote:
Don't know, but if they want carrier and all that goes with it, then they will need to increase their defence spending...
Why?
Technically speaking they are in a better situation than the UK, they could either clean sheet design a new carrier or modify the Izumo Class with an angle led deck and place steam cats on her.

They all ready have the aircraft in the current inventory to place on a strike carrier with 71 F4 Phantom II plus 13 E2C AWACS with E2D advanced Hawkeyes on order, don't think it would take the Japanese very long to modify the Izumo to around 45-50t, these also have backup with E767 AEW @ KC 767 tanker aircraft.

Don't underestimate the Japanese defence force it leaves UK in the shade.But then Japanese stratigic situation is totally different from UK.

https://thediplomat.com/2015/03/after-t ... pans-navy/

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

The Japanese could put steam cats on a modified Izumo and fly Phantoms?

Srsly?