Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Ron5 »

Thorvicson wrote:
Ron5 wrote:
RNFollower wrote:Didn't the original design include a JBD? I seem to remember one being included before the switch to CATOBAR in 2010. The CATOBAR design obviously included one but then it disappeared when the design switched back to STOVL
Yes the early designs had a JBD but they are rather expensive and as indicated above, were eliminated without a major loss in capability. I think a CATOBAR design would make them mandatory.
Yes it was in the drawings and the CGI, however at the time it was expected that the F-35B would take off STOVL format on afterburner straight back possibly augmented by the lift fan and Ski Jump. With the changes to the F-35B design the fan got a shocking great barn door intake cover and they angled the main thrust into the deck so no need for a JBD as it wouldn't be a jet blast straight aft anymore.
Horse before cart. The lack of JBD's caused the current take off MO on the Wasp's. Not the other way round. It will be interesting to see what develops on the QE. Max weight TO in hot conditions might require full AB straight back but then again, there's a long deck with a steep ski jump. We'll see.

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

The few recent(ish) CGI and sim videos we have seen tended to show the B starting it's run around or just a touch after the midline of the deck so there should be quite the margin available for longer runs if conditions demand.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

HMS Queen Elizabeth (R08), Royal Navy.
WE Department, first 'proper' deck landings.
Vid by R08 WE Dept, July 2017.
:lol:

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

:lol: :lol: Well played...

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QE departed ̶K̶i̶r̶k̶c̶a̶l̶d̶y̶ ̶B̶a̶y̶- Kirkcaldy's prom/harbour/thingy at 21:31 BST, Monday 3rd July 2017.
23:07 - Leaving the Firth of Forth at 26.1 kts!

Edited. (see below) :mrgreen:

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

Point of note, my wife is from Kirkcaldy and we met with several family members from Kirkcaldy tonight for dinner. Every one of them said Kirkcaldy bay does not exist and they have never heard of it being called that before. It's the Firth of Forth!!!! The immediate vicinity of Kirkcaldy is called the prom or the harbour.

Every day is a school day :lol: :lol: :lol:

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:Point of note, my wife is from Kirkcaldy and we met with several family members from Kirkcaldy tonight for dinner. Every one of them said Kirkcaldy bay does not exist and they have never heard of it being called that before. It's the Firth of Forth!!!! The immediate vicinity of Kirkcaldy is called the prom or the harbour.

Every day is a school day :lol: :lol: :lol:

You have some weird names for places over there :D :lol:

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

What like kookaburra :lol: :lol:

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:What like kookaburra :lol: :lol:
:lol: Kookaburra is a bird not a town or city :lol:

But then you might want to go to Woolloomooloo and see the RAN's grey ships, or you might like to go to dunedoo :roll:

RNFollower
United Kingdom

Post by RNFollower »

Ron5 wrote:
Thorvicson wrote:
Ron5 wrote:
RNFollower wrote:Didn't the original design include a JBD? I seem to remember one being included before the switch to CATOBAR in 2010. The CATOBAR design obviously included one but then it disappeared when the design switched back to STOVL
Yes the early designs had a JBD but they are rather expensive and as indicated above, were eliminated without a major loss in capability. I think a CATOBAR design would make them mandatory.
Yes it was in the drawings and the CGI, however at the time it was expected that the F-35B would take off STOVL format on afterburner straight back possibly augmented by the lift fan and Ski Jump. With the changes to the F-35B design the fan got a shocking great barn door intake cover and they angled the main thrust into the deck so no need for a JBD as it wouldn't be a jet blast straight aft anymore.
Horse before cart. The lack of JBD's caused the current take off MO on the Wasp's. Not the other way round. It will be interesting to see what develops on the QE. Max weight TO in hot conditions might require full AB straight back but then again, there's a long deck with a steep ski jump. We'll see.
Cheers for the explanations

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

HMS Queen Elizabeth was named 3 years ago today by HM Queen Elizabeth II at Rosyth. (4th July 2014)

11:15 - QE's presently off the coast of Aberdeen after heading north overnight, with speeds of 25 kts at times.
13:15 - QE has just done a double loop, the first clockwise, the second anti-clockwise. Just south of Peterhead.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... 87/zoom:14

90inFIRST
United Kingdom

Post by 90inFIRST »

Timmymagic wrote:
WhiteWhale wrote:I'm amazed they didn't turn off the transponder for the 26knot run I would expect that it would certainly go quiet for any faster then that, if she is capable of exceeding that of course.
The French requirement for PA2 was for it to reach 29 knots at least...they weren't planning on making changes to propulsion.
They were going to install four LM2500+G4 gas turbines to get it up to 29 knots

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

QE doing a couple of turns in a figure of 8 move. They seem to be putting it through some pretty hefty testing and so far she is responding well. The shipbuilders should be proud of the work they have done, and only 3bn each. Compare that cost to a US Carrier and we have a bargain. Just need the Air Wings one day......................

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

13:34 - Passed Peterhead and continuing north. Speed 23.3 kts
15:45 - Turned and heading west. Furthest north so far!
16:45 - Now off the northern coast of the county/shire of Banff. Which before today, I'd never heard of. :mrgreen:
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... .8/zoom:10

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

I hope these updates continue for the next 50 years!

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

downsizer wrote:I hope these updates continue for the next 50 years!
Your off topic :lol:

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

SKB wrote:HMS Queen Elizabeth was named 3 years ago today by HM Queen Elizabeth II at Rosyth. (4th July 2014)
Amazing that we have been following her build all these years right from the first bits arriving at Rosyth.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:
downsizer wrote:I hope these updates continue for the next 50 years!
Your off topic :lol:
It should be "you're" ;) :lol: :lol:

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Doesn't feel like 3 years since she was named TBH

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Thin Pinstriped Line gives credit were credit is due:
"a useful reminder for the UK to the US that it is serious about playing its part in supporting US navy carrier deployments. The USN has been exceptionally good to the RN for many years in supporting the pathway to regenerating a carrier capability – the sheer number of RN personnel deployed as pilots, flight deck crew and other roles on US carriers is astounding. The departure of QE from port shows that we are much closer to the reality of her working alongside her US cousins and likely relieving a CVN on station."
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

inch

Post by inch »

I agree the usn and coast guard have helped us loads and the French for that matter ,talking of the French does anybody think they will change their mind and build a second carrier ,I know they stopped the last program but new leader etc and increasing the defence budget .hope so be great to see

MRCA
United Kingdom

Post by MRCA »

Anyone know how many small boats that qe can carry and deploy and up to what size.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Thin Pinstriped Line gives credit were credit is due:"
Thanks for that blog, never knew about it or come across it before...needless to say it is now bookmarked as I enjoyed reading the QE piece so much!

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

PhillyJ wrote: that blog, never knew about it
It has been dormant for a while, but if you work your way backwards, you'll come across some v thoughtful pieces about the RN.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Good to see his blog back. Used to enjoy reading it