Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
bobp
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by bobp »

SKB wrote:Probably just rust stains left over from all the containers, materials, debris and marquee tents that were all over the deck during fitting out.
So if you went into a car showroom and bought a new car, and the salesperson said don't worry about the brown patches they are just rust stains would you buy it? Bearing in mind the sailors have vacuumed the deck, swept it, and mother nature has rained on it, its got brown patches. There was a picture in the Tanker thread of Tidesurge, and that too looks a mess, considering its a brand new ship. However that will get repainted as we know when it eventually gets to the UK.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

bobp wrote:
SKB wrote:Probably just rust stains left over from all the containers, materials, debris and marquee tents that were all over the deck during fitting out.
So if you went into a car showroom and bought a new car, and the salesperson said don't worry about the brown patches they are just rust stains would you buy it? Bearing in mind the sailors have vacuumed the deck, swept it, and mother nature has rained on it, its got brown patches. There was a picture in the Tanker thread of Tidesurge, and that too looks a mess, considering its a brand new ship. However that will get repainted as we know when it eventually gets to the UK.
She will get touched up just like Nuship Canberra got a new paint job before commissioning, would like to see them dock again before commissioning just for this occasion,

But that aside I know where your coming from it when you buy a new car it's no sitting in salt water and they also go over it in pre delivery

hovematlot
United Kingdom

Post by hovematlot »

I remember when I took HMS Iron Duke out of the builders, after we conducted our sea trials Yarrows came back on board and practically repainted the ship. I'm sure all of those patches will go down as snagging to rectified by the shipbuilder.

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

She's going back in to dry dock in about 4 weeks for a paint job according to Dave Cullen.

I am very disappointed with the flight deck, it detracts from the outstanding work the ACA have achieved in the build process.

inch

Post by inch »

Why disappointed fella,probably just get it painted and do first sea testing see how many snags there are first ,then fix everything up looking good when happy everything works ,just the normal process I think old chap

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:She's going back in to dry dock in about 4 weeks for a paint job according to Dave Cullen.
Thanks CJ that has cleared up the subject of her paint job very well.

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

inch wrote:Why disappointed fella,probably just get it painted and do first sea testing see how many snags there are first ,then fix everything up looking good when happy everything works ,just the normal process I think old chap
That's fair comment to be honest. I just feel as a national d**k waving exercise, its maiden voyage should look Bristol fashion. Scare the Ruskies and lord it over our garlic munching neighbours with their pocket carrier.

Ps I'm joking.

QEC Eye in the SKY
United Kingdom

Post by QEC Eye in the SKY »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:
inch wrote:Why disappointed fella,probably just get it painted and do first sea testing see how many snags there are first ,then fix everything up looking good when happy everything works ,just the normal process I think old chap
That's fair comment to be honest. I just feel as a national d**k waving exercise, its maiden voyage should look Bristol fashion. Scare the Ruskies and lord it over our garlic munching neighbours with their pocket carrier.

Ps I'm joking.
Exceptionally well put as always CJ!! :lol:

Biggles
United Kingdom

Post by Biggles »

The rust stains are almost certainly due to shot blast residue from another location. I would be amazed if rust was showing through the flight deck surface. Given the rough nature of the flight deck surface it is easy for tiny bits of filings to get caught and then rust which gives an unsightly appearance.

RNFollower
United Kingdom

Post by RNFollower »

Didn't the original design include a JBD? I seem to remember one being included before the switch to CATOBAR in 2010. The CATOBAR design obviously included one but then it disappeared when the design switched back to STOVL

inch

Post by inch »

To be fair to our neighbors and there pocket carrier ,they could have said the same thing to us since 2001 lol, and its nearly as large in reality maybe displacement different but physical size not a lot in it ,and a lot would argue a lot more capable but I know your only saying in jest cj. :D

inch

Post by inch »

Thinking about it apart from one carrier being 16yrs old etc if both were new qe class or French c de g I really don't know which I'd pic tbh both have their merits I quess ,I kind of wish we had gone the French route tho truth be known but glad at least its something better than hms ocean at least

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

inch wrote:Thinking about it apart from one carrier being 16yrs old etc if both were new qe class or French c de g I really don't know which I'd pic tbh both have their merits I quess ,I kind of wish we had gone the French route tho truth be known but glad at least its something better than hms ocean at least
Easy answer to that. Growth margin wins every day. The French were pushed down a route by their equivalent of the Treasury to as small a carrier as possible. They've not done bad squeezing it all in in truth, but I bet they wish they could have had an extra 10,000 tonnes on it, particularly when they had to lengthen it to get the E-2C aboard. When they went looking for another one with PA2 they wanted it to be much bigger. Can't see anyone in the RN complaining that the size was too small for some time.

hovematlot
United Kingdom

Post by hovematlot »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:She's going back in to dry dock in about 4 weeks for a paint job according to Dave Cullen.
By that are we assuming POW will be moved out onto the fitting out berth within the next month after being 'launched' by Prince Charles to make room for QNLZ in dry dock?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QE dropped anchor in Kirkcaldy Bay at 08:00, and is presently still there.

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

hovematlot wrote:
By that are we assuming POW will be moved out onto the fitting out berth within the next month after being 'launched' by Prince Charles to make room for QNLZ in dry dock?
Yep he said it was Rosyth so POW needs to come out of No.1 dock. I was at Rosyth today and she still hasn't got her Artisan radar installed yet.

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

RNFollower wrote:Didn't the original design include a JBD? I seem to remember one being included before the switch to CATOBAR in 2010. The CATOBAR design obviously included one but then it disappeared when the design switched back to STOVL
Original renders did but it looks like it was dropped quite early on, perhaps as the Dave-B may vary it's start run depending on conditions?

inch

Post by inch »

great pics ,that aircraft lift looks big next to that man standing there {middle pic} a good sense of scale.im really waiting for a few shots inside the hangar also :-)

QEC Eye in the SKY
United Kingdom

Post by QEC Eye in the SKY »

And here is the first video of aircraft landing on QNLZ.

CR4ZYHOR5E
United Kingdom

Post by CR4ZYHOR5E »

Further footage of 1st landing...

https://youtu.be/zaNlZ4VNM5Q

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

RNFollower wrote:Didn't the original design include a JBD? I seem to remember one being included before the switch to CATOBAR in 2010. The CATOBAR design obviously included one but then it disappeared when the design switched back to STOVL
Yes the early designs had a JBD but they are rather expensive and as indicated above, were eliminated without a major loss in capability. I think a CATOBAR design would make them mandatory.

Thorvicson
United Kingdom

Post by Thorvicson »

Ron5 wrote:
Yes the early designs had a JBD but they are rather expensive and as indicated above, were eliminated without a major loss in capability. I think a CATOBAR design would make them mandatory.
Yes it was in the drawings and the CGI, however at the time it was expected that the F-35B would take off STOVL format on afterburner straight back possibly augmented by the lift fan and Ski Jump. With the changes to the F-35B design the fan got a shocking great barn door intake cover and they angled the main thrust into the deck so no need for a JBD as it wouldn't be a jet blast straight aft anymore.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

The crewing size can vary according to the amount of aircraft carried , is there information on how many crew taken for this initial run considering there was also a landing excercise