Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

SKB wrote:Frame grab of PoW's bow:
PoW_0001.jpg
Christ. I had no idea she was that far ahead in her assembly. Well done, ACA.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

BAE Systems to Prepare HMNB Portsmouth for New Aircraft Carriers
BAE Systems has been awarded a £5.5M contract to install a new Vessel Traffic Management System to assist in the controlling and monitoring of all ship movements within Portsmouth Harbour and the Eastern Solent.

The contract is the latest development in the partnering agreement between BAE Systems, the Royal Navy and the Ministry of Defence to modernise HM Naval Base Portsmouth and prepare for the arrival of HMS Queen Elizabeth – the first of the four acre, 65,000 tonne aircraft carriers to be based in Portsmouth.
Read More: http://navaltoday.com/2015/06/25/bae-sy ... -carriers/

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:
How do the RAF folks really feel about being based on the carriers from time to time?

Just curious is all!
Although the question wasn't aimed at me I'll add my tuppence worth for what it's worth :) , some looked forward to the carrier dets, some it's just another det, a few found it dull and uninteresting. Much like anything people are people, I doubt hugely different from those within the navy in all honesty.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

I've met a fair few matelows who do their utmost to avoid any kind of sea draft too.

sea_eagle
United Kingdom

Re: HMS Prince Of Wales Assembly Diagram Update

Post by sea_eagle »

SKB wrote:PoW assembly diagram updated. Saw the front piece of ramp in position on PoW's bow in that new diesel video above ^.
Not quite sure how much ramp there is, but I've drawn enough to cover all of the UB01 block for now. ;)
Also noticed there's a new section of catwalk along the starboard bow of PoW, with the rest of it sitting on the dockside.
PoW Assembly Diagram 25Jun2015 Ramp v2.PNG
Thanks SKB your diagrams are terrific. Very impressed with the speed of build for PoW and many comments about how much more finished the individual sections are. I'm sure they say "Well 1.5 aircraft carriers is much better than just 1" :)

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

So are they still undecided about whether PoW is getting renamed Ark Royal or not?

Since last I heard about it was when Charles said he had no problems with the idea.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

raven111 wrote:So are they still undecided about whether PoW is getting renamed Ark Royal or not? Since last I heard about it was when Charles said he had no problems with the idea.
2011: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... Royal.html

Nothing confirmed or denied since. The previous Invincible-class 'Ark Royal' was originally to be named 'HMS Indomitable', but it was renamed as 'HMS Ark Royal' in 1978 during its build. That ship was launched three years later in 1981.

There have been a few e-petitions to change the name, but none of significant size. So, I personally think the name 'Prince Of Wales' will stay.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Personally, I'd hope it stays as PoW.

Reason? They've already done all the money stuff to name it as that and painted stuff to do with it all over. Can you imagine how much money it'd take to replace all the signs, orders, painted symbols yadda yadda?

Yes, I'd like Ark Royal as a name. But maybe I'm just thinking too practical right now for money outgoing! I'd happily have it called HMS Gay Viking if it were cheaper at this moment!

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

You would never get away with that! You might get HMS Alternate Sexuality Wandering Nordic Person past the PC cops :roll:

Geoff_B
United Kingdom

Re: HMS Prince Of Wales Assembly Diagram Update

Post by Geoff_B »

sea_eagle wrote:
SKB wrote:PoW assembly diagram updated. Saw the front piece of ramp in position on PoW's bow in that new diesel video above ^.
Not quite sure how much ramp there is, but I've drawn enough to cover all of the UB01 block for now. ;)
Also noticed there's a new section of catwalk along the starboard bow of PoW, with the rest of it sitting on the dockside.
PoW Assembly Diagram 25Jun2015 Ramp v2.PNG
Thanks SKB your diagrams are terrific. Very impressed with the speed of build for PoW and many comments about how much more finished the individual sections are. I'm sure they say "Well 1.5 aircraft carriers is much better than just 1" :)
Could do with SKB doing the drawing with the blocks under construction or completed and not yet fitted in different shades or cross hatching to give a true idea of progress. Main Block LB04 is allmost ready for delivery as are its CB04 units, the Aft island and the rear blocks are in build and the last of the sponson units was started in May.

So we should see the next big blocks arrive and be fitted by the Autumn, see when the coffer damn gets installed again as thats a hint as to when the block is due.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

jimthelad wrote:You would never get away with that! You might get HMS Alternate Sexuality Wandering Nordic Person past the PC cops :roll:
I don't see why you'd have a problem with HMS Happy Stationary Supplier. :P

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

I guess people are trying to make Ark Royal into our Enterprise.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Ironic thing is, we already have an Enterprise (H88) ! ;) http://ukdefenceforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=51

@ Geoff_B - I've always only ever drawn things that are in the dock or on the ship and which have confirmed photographic evidence. It is after all, an assembly diagram. Unfortunately, I do not have any insider knowledge of any specific block-building or parts prior to their delivery to Rosyth ;)

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

I meant in terms of the "iconic name that needs to be kept alive no matter what" thing.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Maybe there are no curtains, can't see any portholes on the QEC hulls. ;)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Ark Royal hasn't had a continuous line there have only been 5

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

arfah wrote:My best guess: First of class, successor class SSBN.

Did we ever get any confirmation as to the colour of the curtains in the officers wardroom of either Q.E. Or P.O.W?
Time for another tour de bateau me thinks ;)

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Why the interest in the curtains when the colour of her carpet is more interesting

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

seaspear wrote:Why the interest in the curtains when the colour of her carpet is more interesting
I thought we'd agreed that it must be 'Joint Purple' given the number of different cap badges that will be wondering around it's decks?! ;)

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Clearing the Way for the Carriers – Dredging the Harbour for the QEC
DIO has taken a big step forward in its work to provide infrastructure at HMNB Portsmouth to support the new Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers.

If you read my colleague Philip Wise’s blog a few months ago, you’ll know that DIO is spending tens of millions of pounds undertaking a number of projects to enable the ships to call Portsmouth their home port. This includes work to upgrade the jetty, new navigational aids and to provide a high voltage power supply.

Today, we've announced the award of a contract to Boskalis Westminster to dredge the channel into the harbour.
You might be surprised that this is necessary but the new carriers are enormous. They are significantly larger than any vessel that currently uses the harbour, so it’s obviously vital to make sure they can actually navigate it safely!
Read More: https://insidedio.blog.gov.uk/2015/06/2 ... r-the-qec/

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

easydiver wrote:June's monthly update from the ACA: http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.co.u ... e-2015.pdf
Good stuff. Thanks.

seaspear
Australia

Thermion coating

Post by seaspear »

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before ,but recent articles Ive read on the application of the thermion coating show a lot of work and ongoing maintenance , I've read that first aluminium is flame sprayed onto the surface ,the melting on of special epoxy plates covering with thin ceramic ,wire spray aluminium on top a special paint costing 5k for five gallons then another sealer then special flight deck non skid with type of silica in place of the sand ,there are manufacturers claims that this lasts up to ten years but pictures and articles suggest that areas during carrier deployments may require patching up 2-3 times for regular landings and take offs of conventional aircraft ,even for the U.S.N this is an expensive proposition ,and is there any information on how much of the flight deck of the carrier is expected to be coated ,there was also mention that thermion was used as part of the passive counter measure systems on aegis ships to make them a little more stealthy .

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I posted this link back on the old mp.net QEC thread about deck coatings.
http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=231