Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

It's higher over the water than the existing two. The big issue is going to be the rail bridge. Tides, ship tonnage etc, all will need to be taken into account.

For me though getting it out of the tidal basin is going to be a Herculean effort of coordination.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

swoop wrote:
SKB wrote:QE's float out date was 17th July 2014, 2 years and 2 days ago. Is QE likely to need a hull clean beneath the waterline before sea trials?
Quick answer: Yes.
Detailed answer: The method of cleaning will need to be decided.
Divers and "other" methods could be used, however the simplest method is to re-dock her and have a quick clean (changing brake-blades for correct service blades if needed).

A clean hull will be needed if a true hull form and efficiency baseline is needed to be established...
Not sure you should be discussing Queen Elizabeth's bottom with such gusto.

handal
United Kingdom

Post by handal »

An interesting and pointed assesment of large carriers:

http://www.realcleardefense.com/article ... 07984.html

How happy are future politicians going to be having them at sea..? Especially if they do a type 45 :(

I've always thought we should have gone for 2-4 juan's :]

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Going for 2-4 Juans might mean the government deciding on 2 , although the article was aimed at USN carriers they could apply to carriers operating any aircraft with a short range coming into potential range of shore based missiles ,the aircraft may be hard to detect but if the ship itself is not then it can be targeted by potential multiple salvoes ,that over the last few years the premier fighter for the USN the Hornet then the Super Hornet are both short ranged fighters compared to contemporary land based fighters ,requiring the carriers to operate closer to risk

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

handal wrote:An interesting and pointed assesment of large carriers:

http://www.realcleardefense.com/article ... 07984.html

How happy are future politicians going to be having them at sea..? Especially if they do a type 45 :(

I've always thought we should have gone for 2-4 juan's :]

Nope don't think the US is making a mistake with the super carriers, they are optuim size for current manned aircraft and it's enablers for there CONOPS. Only price they are paying at the moment is investing in future tech which is hurting there budget, once it's sorted. I also imagine PCU JFK will undoubtably come in cheaper than first of class. Also don't forget the USN gator fleet bring up the numbers.

As for getting 2-4 JC1 in place of QE, whilst they are more flexible but if you are solely relying on them they won't perform it's indented role, they cannot do strike and assault concurrently but then neither can QE.

Personally I think the QE are just the right size if you were able to get them in numbers (4)and would of been happier if they were catobar, only down side is only have two which makes for a juggling act to have one 24/7, can be done but just have to hope they don't go down for the unexpected but then you also have to expect that to happen as well.

But getting back to is the aircraft carrier is obselete, NO I personally think that aircraft will remain about the same size as now if the want them able to carry the stores need to do the job manned aircraft.

Whilst MQ-9 Reaper has the ability to drop LGB and JDAM's I think that they will go after a heavier version of X-47B in the future and new QE sized emals equipped carrier will be just right.

Sunk at Narvik
United Kingdom

Post by Sunk at Narvik »

Daily Mail (I know..) reporting today that Gerald Ford still having problems with EMALs, so perhaps it was a wise decision to go for STOVL afterall?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Don't think EMALS are the problem, but they certainly are having trouble with the Advanced Arresting Gear. There is some serious thought given to sticking with the old wires, in fact, even though it probably won't happen in the end.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

Ron5 wrote:Not sure you should be discussing Queen Elizabeth's bottom with such gusto.
Smooth, curvaceous, svelte...
I see no reason not to... :twisted:

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

When we were going cat and traps was the Advanced Arresting Gear being considered? EMALS was our preferred launch system but I don’t remember a lot of talk about AAG.

As for the whole STOVL vs Cat and traps, if STOVL means we get 2 carriers then I can live with that.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

I believe it was. But if I remember correctly we were looking at a different launch system from the US. It was to be an electromagnetic system from Converteam, which I believe was partially developed and working better than the US EMALS (at least sub-scale).

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Converteam was only looked at as an alternative and though it did receive some funding from the MoD, it did not make it to the chalk lines.

The US system(s) came as a pair and you can look up the US DefSec letter (to the UK decision makers) about how they would underwrite and test them before it came to our installation dates. So, even though the main thrust of the letter was to counter the over-blown cost estimates being (then) bandied around in the UK debate, it did also promise a risk-free & fixed price deal.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

swoop wrote:
Ron5 wrote:Not sure you should be discussing Queen Elizabeth's bottom with such gusto.
Smooth, curvaceous, svelte...
I see no reason not to... :twisted:
The Tower for you young lad.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Converteam was only looked at as an alternative and though it did receive some funding from the MoD, it did not make it to the chalk lines.

The US system(s) came as a pair and you can look up the US DefSec letter (to the UK decision makers) about how they would underwrite and test them before it came to our installation dates. So, even though the main thrust of the letter was to counter the over-blown cost estimates being (then) bandied around in the UK debate, it did also promise a risk-free & fixed price deal.
There's a long history of the UK politicians & MoD falling madly in love with new unproven US technologies, building their future around it, and then having the rug pulled away. Skybolt maybe the prime example but there's many more. Nice to see the UK got it right on this one.

Of course, 55% of the folks here want to run out and buy LRASM, so the habit is still alive and kicking.

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

Ron5 wrote:The Tower for you young lad.
Odd that you mention it...
I'll be there this week.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

swoop wrote:
Ron5 wrote:The Tower for you young lad.
Odd that you mention it...
I'll be there this week.
Totally jealous. Been to London a few times but the Tower never. Not sure why. Closest I got was walking over Tower bridge - the tour where you go up one tower, across and then down the other. The old steam engines were quite a sight.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Ron5 wrote:Totally jealous. Been to London a few times but the Tower never. Not sure why. Closest I got was walking over Tower bridge - the tour where you go up one tower, across and then down the other. The old steam engines were quite a sight.
Agree, the whole Tower Bridge tour is fantastic, they have since installed a glass section on the walkway so you can look down at all the traffic below as you wander over it...not for the feint hearted!

easydiver
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by easydiver »

Ian Booth's latest blog is available here: http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.co.u ... -blog.aspx

easydiver
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by easydiver »

The U.S. Navy’s newest aircraft carrier isn’t ready for warfare accrding to Michael Gilmore, the Defense Department’s director of operational test and evaluation. The $12.9 billion USS Gerald R. Ford -- the most expensive warship ever built -- may struggle to launch and recover aircraft, mount a defense and move munitions, according to the Pentagon’s top weapons tester. On-board systems for those tasks have poor or unknown reliability issues, according to a June 28 memo obtained by Bloomberg News.

For details see: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... -memo-says

Is this just the press hyping up the teething troubles to be expected with new technology, or is there a real problem?

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

easydiver wrote:Ian Booth's latest blog is available here: http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.co.u ... -blog.aspx
I wonder when they'll be told to work slower on PoW.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

work slower? why?

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Stop the bills coming too quick plus no work for them when its done.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

easydiver wrote: move munitions, according to the Pentagon’s top weapons tester. On-board systems for those tasks have poor or unknown reliability issues
Have we got something to sell here, to the cousins?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Geoff_B
United Kingdom

Post by Geoff_B »

ImageLong Range Radar has successfully been installed by QEClassCarriers, on Flickr

Just noticed the new crane on the dock next to the Prince of Wales, earlier build photos show the traditional dockside cranes on each side but it looks like those have been replaced by an overhead crane instead. I wonder what they have planned for that dock now or is it prep work to disassemble the SSBN and SSN hulls that are stored alongside now an initial storage site has been selected for interim use ?

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

easydiver wrote:Ian Booth's latest blog is available here: http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.co.u ... -blog.aspx
I'm sure some F-35 hater will soon pick up on the QE tracking F-35's on it's Long Range Radar....and in the next paragraph mentioning 'radar evading stealth'

I suspect the Luneberg lenses may have helped...

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Geoff_B wrote:I wonder what they have planned for that dock now or is it prep work to disassemble the SSBN and SSN hulls
It is yes, that is the future for Rosyth
@LandSharkUK