Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Jake1992
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Jake1992 »

Tempest414 wrote:
Bring Deeps wrote:That's interesting. Without doing a forensic exercise it looks like the most number of Harriers embarked by Hermes was 16 to 18.
However in 1983 on Ocean Safari ( Her last Ex in RN Service ) she embarked 12 Sea Harriers + 10 GR3 and 10 Seaking
This could be a similar over all number to what we see on QE if we are to believe that tweet and the full deck comment.
Something like 20 x F35B, 9 ASW Merlin and 4 AEW Merlin

Wrekin1410

Post by Wrekin1410 »

Jake1992 wrote:
Tempest414 wrote:
Bring Deeps wrote:That's interesting. Without doing a forensic exercise it looks like the most number of Harriers embarked by Hermes was 16 to 18.
However in 1983 on Ocean Safari ( Her last Ex in RN Service ) she embarked 12 Sea Harriers + 10 GR3 and 10 Seaking
This could be a similar over all number to what we see on QE if we are to believe that tweet and the full deck comment.
Something like 20 x F35B, 9 ASW Merlin and 4 AEW Merlin
That would imply 10 UK F35. Do we have 10 deplorable? I’ve lost track of how many we have with 617 and how many with the OCU squadron.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Wrekin1410 wrote:That would imply 10 UK F35. Do we have 10 deplorable? I’ve lost track of how many we have with 617 and how many with the OCU squadron.
I believe the UK still has 18 F35s. That's 15 at Marham pooled between 617 and 207, and three test and development aircraft retained in the US.

In addition the delivery of three has been delayed by C19 but should be completed before the end of the year.

Wrekin1410

Post by Wrekin1410 »

RichardIC wrote:
I believe the UK still has 18 F35s. That's 15 at Marham pooled between 617 and 207, and three test and development aircraft retained in the US.

In addition the delivery of three has been delayed by C19 but should be completed before the end of the year.
So, doable. Would be great to see 20 onboard.

Thanks very much for the update.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

It was stated that F35 from two UK squadrons would be participating, so might we just be able to rustle up 10 from the 15? Sounds like a stretch considering the prior suggestions from commentators on here that we'll barely be able to deploy 12 or so from from 48 air frames on a regular basis.

Also, are we really expecting fewer F35B on her maiden operarional deployment next year than for this training exercise? Would seem odd to me. If it's 20 for this excercise, surely we're looking at about that number for next years deployment? However, if I recall correctly, the USMC are planning to deploy 6 F35B onboard next year, so we'd need the UK to contribute ca. 12-14....

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

They said a full deck. More likely extra Merlins than extra F-35.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Nice to see the US has sent 10 F35B, it will be good training for both Air Forces over the next few deployments. In a way it would be nice if they had a squadron of them permanently assigned to the UK but that would be fantasy time I guess. :shock:

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

bobp wrote: In a way it would be nice if they had a squadron of them permanently assigned to the UK but that would be fantasy time I guess. :shock:
I am grateful to the yanks for their support with building up the carriers (and in general) but I would rather we had enough to do it on our own, permanently assigning a squadron would give the treasury another reason to cut stuff (maybe I am being a bit too cynical about the treasury).

Also when was the Prince of Wales going to sail again I seem to remember some about September as well or am I getting my carriers mix up?

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

It will definitely be good practice for the deck crew operating a larger group of airframes ( even 20 inc helo's ) than they have done before with a high operational tempo :D

Never thought of the usmc stationing a squadron of F35b in the uk on a rotation basis, that sounds like a good idea for rapid response if a QEC are needed asap, stationed with the americans at RAF lakenheath with their F35A

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Jdam wrote:but I would rather we had enough
Well i would say everyone would like to see more UK owned F35B. Fact is there are currently no more orders on the table after the initial 48.
And the country is or soon will be reducing its expenditure, apart from HS2, to pay back the billions it wasted on the Covid nightmare. My guess is they will kick future orders down the road a bit until the finances are more stable.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

bobp wrote: In a way it would be nice if they had a squadron of them permanently assigned to the UK but that would be fantasy time I guess.
Unless it has changed the USMC where going to assign one of its F-35b Sqn to the British carriers full time

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Tempest414 wrote: Unless it has changed the USMC where going to assign one of its F-35b Sqn to the British carriers full time
Have to wait and see

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Jdam wrote:
bobp wrote: In a way it would be nice if they had a squadron of them permanently assigned to the UK but that would be fantasy time I guess. :shock:
I am grateful to the yanks for their support with building up the carriers (and in general) but I would rather we had enough to do it on our own, permanently assigning a squadron would give the treasury another reason to cut stuff ?
This.
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

CMOR
United Kingdom

Post by CMOR »

Jdam wrote:
I am grateful to the yanks for their support with building up the carriers (and in general) but I would rather we had enough to do it on our own, permanently assigning a squadron would give the treasury another reason to cut stuff (maybe I am being a bit too cynical about the treasury).

Also when was the Prince of Wales going to sail again I seem to remember some about September as well or am I getting my carriers mix up?
Or, alternatively, the USMC putting their jets on the carriers make it easier for the Navy to argue that we should keep both carriers & not sell or mothball one....

Also, to the best of my knowledge, no one forced the RAF to go down the Tempest pathway, and this is what's putting a lot of medium/long term pressure on Air Command's budget. The money simply isn't there to get anywhere close to 100 F35 purchases while ramping up Tempest development and production - which is supposed to be done by 2035! Tempest is what's going to shrink the F35 fleet quite dramatically.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QE to leave Portsmouth tomorrow (Monday 7th September 2020) at 15:30.
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/portsm ... 07/09/2020

Bring Deeps
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Bring Deeps »

Re-reading the Save the Royal Navy article on the September exercise the author said:

"The plan is to have an air group consisting of 5 UK and 10 USMC F-35 jets, plus 6 Merlin helicopters. With 15 jets on board, this will be the largest embarkation of F-35s afloat in the world so far."

Given that STRN seems to be pretty well informed on RN issues perhaps 21 aircraft is all that will be aboard throughout the exercise.

The six Merlin are already on board and the cavalry have arrived so all that remains is to see what the RAF have to offer.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

CMOR wrote:Also, to the best of my knowledge, no one forced the RAF to go down the Tempest pathway,
The RAF will have been pushed down the Tempest pathway by industry and HMG to keep British aircraft industry going we have to remember the last time we had a US jet in numbers was the Phantom but at that time the UK aircraft industry had Jaguar , Harrier , Sea Harrier , Hawk , Tornado GR and Tornado ADV so not a problem. Now spending has become far to low and unrealistic what the UK needs is 8 Typhoon / Tempest sqn's and five F-35 sqn's meaning we need about 90 F-35 = 60 front line jets plus OCU and TES

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

AS long as we have enough F-35s to always have two Squadrons available for our single duty Carrier at any one time I will be happy. The RAF will have to wait for Tempest to have a similar platform available as the Carriers should always take priority, so will have to make the best of the Typhoon in the meantime.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Lord Jim wrote:AS long as we have enough F-35s to always have two Squadrons available for our single duty Carrier at any one time
How do you see this working and how many Sqn's 2 , 3 ,4 ?

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Jdam wrote:Also when was the Prince of Wales going to sail again I seem to remember some about September as well or am I getting my carriers mix up?
PWLS will indeed be going out in September for another bumble around. :silent:

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Please please please let there be a photo op with the QE battle group

inch

Post by inch »

Isn't it today qe sails with all aircraft onboard?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

15:30 - QE is still alongside at Victory Jetty, Portsmouth, her departure has been postponed to Tuesday 8th September at 16:00.
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/portsm ... 08/09/2020

And no, there are definitely no F-35B's on QE now, her flight deck is clear, with helicopters away or below in the hangar.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

inch wrote:Isn't it today qe sails with all aircraft onboard?
Undoubtedly the F-35's will come aboard at sea.

inch

Post by inch »

Cheers folks , cool